Why JBJ's failed drug tests don't bother me (looking at the bigger picture)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Often when talking about Jon Jones, people bitterly discredit him by bringing up his failed drug tests. Personally, I think this has no bearing on his GOATness. Here's why.

Cheating is a part of the fight game, and many of the greats have cheated in some capacity. For example:

- Sonny Liston's team used to coat his gloves with some mysterious itchy substance (reported by multiple opponents)

- Muhammad Ali and his coach did the ol' 'my glove is torn, I need a new one' to stall for time

- GSP's team lubed his back against BJ

- Khabib and the magic Abu Dhabi scales

The list goes on and on...

'Cheating' is not a bad thing. It shows that you're willing to do whatever it takes to win. Singling Jon Jones out is unfair. The only problem is that he got caught.

I'm a realist, a pragmatist. I don't live in my own echo chamber where the world is perfect and people are perfect. There is no such thing as a 'pure' fighter. Cheating is sanctioned in MMA, hence why weight cutting is a thing. If there did exist a 'pure' fighter, let me tell you one thing: he wouldn't have done OK in MMA.

- Big Franklin

Last edited:
Often when talking about Jon Jones, people bitterly discredit him by bringing up his failed drug tests. Personally, I think this has no bearing on his GOATness. Here's why.

Cheating is a part of the fight game, and many of the greats have cheated in some capacity. For example:

- Sonny Liston's team used to coat his gloves with some mysterious itchy substance (reported by multiple opponents)

- Muhammad Ali and his coach did the ol' 'my glove is torn, I need a new one' to stall for time

'Cheating' is not a bad thing. It shows that you're willing to do whatever it takes to win. Singling Jon Jones out is unfair. The only problem is that he got caught.

I'm a realist, a pragmatist. I don't live in my own echo chamber where the world is perfect and people are perfect. There is no such thing as a 'pure' fighter. Cheating is sanctioned in MMA, hence why weight cutting is a thing. If there did exist a 'pure' fighter, let me tell you on thing: he wouldn't have done OK in MMA.

- Big Franklin
Cheating is a very bad thing. And your argument is at an 8-year-old kid's level. But Jones is probably the most talented fighter. Happy?

If there did exist a 'pure' fighter, let me tell you on thing: he wouldn't have done OK in MMA.
Z1oD0ln.jpg

Well you weren't the one getting punched in the face by him TS but I'm glad he's got a pass in your book

That's part of the risk taking steroids. You're gonna perform better, but if you get caught it's gonna put a huge asterisk on your accomplishments.

if everybody(almost) is on roids, then why do most dudes not get caught?
Assuming everybody is on teh juice, I might eventually accept that Jon’s drug tests are meaningless, but I can never be ok with the eyepokes.

This is a scary post that should honestly be destroyed lol

Imagine trying to promote such things as good and should be done cuz it proves you want it so bad..

Jones fucked up his Legacy he'll have to live with that but just because other people break rules or laws doesnt make it any less illegal or wrong...

This type of defense wouldn't work on speeding ticket charge let alone explaining a failed drug test...

Bad bad take

This is as dumb as "Jones wasn't even trying. He was trying to lose but simple can't" take of some idiots.

You know how PEDs are enhancing people?
Look at Khabib vs Tibau and Islam vs Tibau. Compare them.

Jones is actually the most successful GOAT who has consistently fought under strict drug testing. It is worthy remembering that GSP retired barely a month before strict drug testing came in
Yes, he "fought under strict drug testing" and failed them while his opponents didn't. Not sure why you thought that was a decent point about GSP because if there wasn't "strict drug testing" for him, then there wasn't for his opponents either. Jon had strict drug testing for his opponents while he himself was pissing a hole into the drug testing cup.

Last edited:
The thing is... most everyone is on or using something, legal or otherwise, especially the further you go back.

Using the unscientific eyeball test... nothing I've seen about Jones make me believe that he'd be any less dominant if he and absolutely everyone he faced was clean as a whistle.

So yeah, a failed drug test doesn't really effect my opinion of his greatness. Hell, I pine for the Super Juice League (SJL). Could be based in SE Asia, only allow vet fighters 35yo+, and PEDs would be required. Old man skills in young man bodies, the best fighters science can make.

I'm a realist, a pragmatist. I don't live in my own echo chamber where the world is perfect and people are perfect. There is no such thing as a 'pure' fighter. Cheating is sanctioned in MMA, hence why weight cutting is a thing. If there did exist a 'pure' fighter, let me tell you on thing: he wouldn't have done OK in MMA.

- Big Franklin
You could have just said you are a dishonest lowlife. There’s no need to say any more than that.

Back