• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why isn’t BJ Penn in the GOAT conversation?

BJ Penn nuthuggery is an example of mass psychosis.

He was a decent fighter and that's it. No shame in that. I view him in the same category as Johny Hendricks and Tim Sylvia. Nuthuggers are gonna blast me for that comparison yet they think BJ is in the same class as Anderson, GSP, and Fedor.

He lost to Dennis fucking Siver

One of these records belongs to BJ Penn, one belongs to Artem Lobov

upload_2020-5-23_17-6-59.png

upload_2020-5-23_17-6-30.png

Virtually identical

<Goldie11>

Top 5:
Fedor, GSP, Silva, Jones, Aldo.

Maybe Top 10/15:
Cruz, MM, BJ, Hughes, Lidell, Khabib, Cormier, Miocic, Couture, Hendo...

(Not in order).
Cejudo has to at least crack your maybe top 10/15

He used to be. Then he kept fighting beyond his prime.

Who has that old video of buzzed BJ at that party, calling out Wanderlei Silva when they were in their primes?

He was on the losing end of most of his fights vs his rivals and he really tarnished his legacy by the end of his career.

I mean obviously you can’t make an argument of him being the clear #1 GOAT but there has to be an argument that he’s a Top 5 GOAT when you look back at his performances and the names he beat

Gave 225 lb Machida a run for his money, should’ve had a W over GSP the first fight but was robbed, 2 Division champ with 3 defenses (broke the record for most LW title defenses) etc

BJ Penn is a Top 5 GOAT

jsect2.gif

bj-penn-licking-blood-GIF-crazy-2.gif
Because he was lazy, but to me he is the real goat

Absolutely not. Wait for all these accounts from 2001-2009 come in with rose tinted glasses.

He was the LW GOAT a decade ago. He's been passed up now.

He was just mentally not all there. GOATs take more than just talent. IMO at the end of the day, I think Hughes' career surpassed BJ's. BJ with anyone else's head would be way higher but he just sabotaged himself too much.

Yup

That's the thing as well

Put him in his natural weight class and he goes undefeated for most of his career.
Doubtful. He'd get beat by lots of guys that take him into the championship rounds. He only had good cardio for a span of like 3-4 fights. That Hughes II fight would happen in repeat with lots of other guys: BJ clearly more talented, gasses, gets dominated.

First GSP fight was 10-9, 9-10, 9-10 and the dissenting judge was Cecil Peoples...

<YeahOKJen>

He is a good fighter. He never evolved after early 2000s. His bread and butter was BJJ but he didn't keep up with the game. Nowadays all the LWs know their bjj, they know how to wrestle, striking is on point too.

I think he goes down like Cain or Johnny Hendricks: a guy that at his best could beat anyone. BUT like those 2 guys he was only able to maintain that form for a handful of fights.

Absolutely not. Wait for all these accounts from 2001-2009 come in with rose tinted glasses.

He was the LW GOAT a decade ago. He's been passed up now.

Bj penn goat and gomi!!! Nah khabib has a shot though with a couple more wins.

GOAT usually looks at career record and Penn shit the bed my fighting on too late and not working hard enough. His overall record is mile behind the others in the conversion.

Saying that looking at who was the best at their absolute Prime I rank Penn shoulder to shoulder with the other 4.

I think there was a video posted years ago where Anderson, Fedor and maybe GSP all called him the greatest.

The best fighter with the worst record. I had him winning the first Edgar fight, to this day I think it’s a robbery hardly mentioned but that’s when he should have called time on his career. After that it was like watching a different guy.

his Lightweight run was epic, but not against the best of the division. Losing to Frankie Edgar twice was just ridiculous.. I could not believe it. Both fights sucked incredibly also.

Back