Why is Ronda Rousey so much more popular than any male fighter?

This isn't a Ronda hate thread, but I'm genuinely curious why everywhere I go I see Ronda in commercials, movies etc.

Is this because the UFC marketed her so much? Because I understand she's a great fighter, but there are lots of great male fighters, and yet most people on the street have no idea who any of them are.

And I find it hard to believe it's because of Ronda's charming personality. She's worse with PR than Jon Jones is. She randomly attacks celebrities (Michael Phelps, Actress playing Wonder Woman), and acted like a hateful psychopath on TUF, yet people love her.

I just don't understand why / how she is a house hold name when so many amazing, long reigning male champions are still largely unknown? My only guess is because the UFC pushed her so hard?

She isn't and why aren't you banned yet?

I think it's partially because she's something of a novelty (female fighter, who is actually quite skilled), and also she's pretty. It's not like she's a super model, but she can be pretty enough, and that helps. If she were really homely or butch then she'd probably not be as popular.

Also, consider that she has the support of women because she's breaking gender stereotypes, and she has the support of men due to sex appeal.

That's actually a really good point, and makes the most sense to me.

And I agree if she looked like Cris Cyborg, probably less popular. I think the fact that she looks like a normal girl next door does show women you don't have to be a super freak to be an athlete?

she's hot

914251be389f0a17257ebc496e5022907b0ade4.gif

She isn't and why aren't you banned yet?

Just because you don't like someone's opinions doesn't mean they should be banned. That goes against the entire principle of a public forum.

You're the one who goes around insulting people. That's the type of behavior that should be banned honestly.

Yeah, but have you seen how many female fans frenzy over a ton of male athletes from other sports? It's actually insane, and most of them aren't particularly good looking, not any better looking than a lot of UFC champions.

Our Lady of Armbars has earned the favor of JUST BLEED God by offering to him without fail in every one of her WARship services.

All the champs are skilled fighters. Some are even spectacular, like Pettis.

Yes, but her skill-set is extremely unique, she's flashy, and she ends almost every fight in the first round, regardless of the opponent.

Regardless of the hype her and the organization generate, those assets sell themselves. No one else is doing what she's doing.

This isn't a Ronda hate thread, but I'm genuinely curious why everywhere I go I see Ronda in commercials, movies etc.

Is this because the UFC marketed her so much? Because I understand she's a great fighter, but there are lots of great male fighters, and yet most people on the street have no idea who any of them are.

And I find it hard to believe it's because of Ronda's charming personality. She's worse with PR than Jon Jones is. She randomly attacks celebrities (Michael Phelps, Actress playing Wonder Woman), and acted like a hateful psychopath on TUF, yet people love her.

I just don't understand why / how she is a house hold name when so many amazing, long reigning male champions are still largely unknown? My only guess is because the UFC pushed her so hard?

As far as marketing goes Ronda's successful because she uses the tools she has to her advantage. Some of the tools she uses are:

1. Her fighting ability - love her or hate her I don't feel any reasonable person can say she's a bad female fighter. She decisively finishes her fights, she's dangerous on her feet, she's dangerous on top, and she's dangerous from the bottom. She's strong, she's explosive, she's exciting, she doesn't go to decisions. Nobody is as dominant in their division as she is in hers.

You get the point so I'll move on.

2. UFC marketing platform - the UFC does push Ronda quite a bit. However, more importantly (IMO) the UFC provides a large platform for Ronda to market herself. From the start Ronda has been extremely good at self-promotion. She's sometimes shocking, has an uncanny ability to get people invested in her (as mentioned before people love her or hate her), sparks debate, and is comfortable on the microphone.

3. Her looks - this goes along with self-promotion. Even if she's not your exact type Ronda's considered to be a pretty girl. She uses this to her advantage (magazines, her interviews, her mannerisms, etc.) to continue to promote herself.

Separately these 3 things won't automatically make a fighter successful. However, put them together and you start making that Ronda Rousey money.

She has a vagina, boobs & decent looks & is great at what she does. What more do you need to know? I'm not a fan but I respect her skills & abilities.

Brock bowed out, GSP being inactive, Overeem flopped, Jones hype sort of died down (although the DC fight might ignite it again). She's an Olympian, she has a good heel personality, she's attractive for a fighter, she's been pushed, she finishes fights in highlight reel fashion every time, undefeated. There's a lot of things to hype about her. Jones doesn't really know what he's selling and who he's selling it to. Ronda knows exactly who she is and doesn't really give a shit.

I find Ronda quite likable, and with a predominant male audience in the sport, most of us 'Would.' - hence easy to market. On top of that, she kicks ass and twists arms.

Shes knocking out opponents faster than Tyson ever has.

1) Popular = how many people off the street can name her?
2) Popular = Liked among fight fans?
Most sherdoggers would be very surprised how not popular she is compared to the other UFC stars on both 1 & 2 outside of the sherdog population.

As much as the UFC shoves her down everyone's throat you would think she didn't need Weidman to carry her on PPVs.

#1 also goes for 99% of all MMA fighters.

Back