Why is nobody talking about the Varner/Guillard headkick? updated with gif & video

Elysianwing

Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Can we take a moment here, and address something that I haven't really seen anybody talk about yet? Specifically, the head-kick Varner ate in the second round like a stale potato chip?

Awesome, just awesome.

Varner's a damn beast for taking(and walking through) that shot, and Guillard deserves a shit-ton of props for damn near shocking me out of my seat with it.

Incidentally, I looked and couldn't find any damn gifs of it, so if anybody can find one and post it here, I'd appreciate it. Think it was around 3:30 left in the second round, immediately following a leg kick.

Edit: gif/vid in post 16, here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/77956721-post16.html

Last edited:
:icon_neut

Nobody has any love for that head-kick? .....Really?

I might just hate you all, for that.

It was really cool, but I was honestly more impressive with Melvin's armbar attempt. It was a decent one and I did not see that coming!

It was really cool, but I was honestly more impressive with Melvin's armbar attempt. It was a decent one and I did not see that coming!

This is also true. It really was a solid outing for both of them. Were it not for Miller savaging J-Lau...or Cain dominating JDS, it could've/should've/would've been a fight of the night candidate.

Yes, I really enjoyed the fight. Varner is very aggressive in the stand up an has a great chin. I like Melvin too and I felt he clearly evolved on the ground.

Varner has the best chin in all of MMA (except, maybe, Carwin).
I've been telling this for years.
That's why I said he was a lock at UFC 155. Guillard only wins by KO = he would lose 100 out of 100 times against Varner.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.

If I remember correctly that kick was nasty and powerful, connected flush on Jamie's head and he didn't even seem to move or react at all from it.

I was surprised by Melvin's chin actually. The same guy who got dropped by Joe Stevenson and Joe Lauzon, took some big shots last night.

But did anyone else notice that whenever Varner grabbed a double up against the fence, Guillard would literally sit down?

It was a good fight but I agree with the people who say Melvin looked a bit slower. Maybe all those fights are starting to take its toll.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.

If I remember correctly that kick was nasty and powerful, connected flush on Jamie's head and he didn't even seem to move or react at all from it.

Yes! Sounded sick too, and the guy just walked right through it like it was nothing. Excellent showing for them.

It was a good fight but I agree with the people who say Melvin looked a bit slower. Maybe all those fights are starting to take its toll.

Guillard always looks slower when he is fighting guys that can knock him the fuck out, imo.

Guillard always looks slower when he is fighting guys that can knock him the fuck out, imo.

I agree with this. With big strikers, melvin tends to be much more cautious. Against those others where he got dropped like the two joes, hes bouncing all around like their striking was garbage.

Melvin i thought looked great with jacksons and since leaving has been meh.

Bump for gif and vid.

jvmghk-o.gif

I was more impressive with the judge that gave 30-27 for him... that was the funniest sht of the whole event

Varner's surprisingly durable, he eats leg kicks and bombs to the face like it's nothing - Good recovery and decent cardio too

He's just a headcase and injury prone (glass hands) - Skill wise he's a great fighter, unfortunately he folds under pressure, however watching these last couple fights of his I feel like he's turning a corner.

He walked through that like it was nothing.

Pickett shrugged off some pretty massive shots too in his fight.

Jamie Varner is a bad dude. Guillard is probably the hardest hitter at LW and he couldn't even phase him.

Amazing fight by two great fighters.

Back