Why is it that these highly rated movies nominated for awards rarely in theaters?

I think it's more of the industry only making one or the other these days.

I remember Slumdog Millionaire, No Country For Old Men, The Hurt Locker, The Departed, Galdiator, Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump etc... all doing well in the box office.

Some of those mentioned still were action movies to a point, or at least had war elements/fighting, which is entertaining to the most illiterate degenerate out there. Anything with guns, tough guy stuff, and cars is going to sell, it doesn't have to be beautifully crafted like those movies you listed.

They might care more if it was available. I was able to see both Birdman and FoxCatcher due to living just outside a major city. There is an arthouse theater (for lack of a better term) just a few miles from me. For a lot of people that's not the case.

Idk mang... I live in the Shreveport/Bossier area, it's a good size metro area. There's an art house/indie theater right in the middle of downtown that plays films like these, as well as a discount cinema in Bossier that gets a hold of films like these, and almost no one sees them.

However, that could also be due to general lack of sense that is around here also. This place isn't filled with tomorrows leaders, putting it mildly.

I'm spoiled. I have a great artsy theatre 2 miles from my house and a quality Cineplex that plays a wide variety of movies.

They debut the film at festivals late in the year in order to qualify that year's awards, whose lateness tends to count for more than movies lauded toward the beginning of the year..

What are you talking about? The top 5 film festivals world wide are between February and September.... Not exactly the end of the year. Venice is held in August, Cannes is held in May, Toronto is held the first week in September, Sundance at the end of January as well as the Berlin Film festival....

I think it's more of the industry only making one or the other these days.

I remember Slumdog Millionaire, No Country For Old Men, The Hurt Locker, The Departed, Galdiator, Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind, Forrest Gump etc... all doing well in the box office.

Those are major motion pictures by major directors backed by major studios. Boyle, Coen Bro's, Bigelow, Scorsese, Scott, Gibson, Howard and Zemeckis aren't exactly no ones..

Some of those mentioned still were action movies to a point, or at least had war elements/fighting, which is entertaining to the most illiterate degenerate out there. Anything with guns, tough guy stuff, and cars is going to sell, it doesn't have to be beautifully crafted like those movies you listed.

Idk mang... I live in the Shreveport/Bossier area, it's a good size metro area. There's an art house/indie theater right in the middle of downtown that plays films like these, as well as a discount cinema in Bossier that gets a hold of films like these, and almost no one sees them.

However, that could also be due to general lack of sense that is around here also. This place isn't filled with tomorrows leaders, putting it mildly.

Yeah that was point though, the best of both worlds.

What are you talking about? The top 5 film festivals world wide are between February and September.... Not exactly the end of the year. Venice is held in August, Cannes is held in May, Toronto is held the first week in September, Sundance at the end of January as well as the Berlin Film festival....
Thanks. It was a hastily written post.

Thanks. It was a hastily written post.

totally. Only reason why I knew is because I've been to 3 of the 5 majors.

seem to aim for the mid season. Think for award consideration like you said, and to get a distribution deal to hit theaters during USA's winter, and when most people go see movies (when it's cold)

I blame rotten tomatoes. Metacritic should buy them and burn it right to the fucking ground.

No kidding? Tell me about the ones you went to.

No kidding? Tell me about the ones you went to.

We went to Toronto, Berlin, and Cannes. what amazed is the amount of films being shown and honestly some of the best films I've ever seen have been mind blowing short films by guys who are plumbers or regular workers who make films as a hobby. Before I went I thought if you made movies it was your full time job. After going to a few major festivals you see like any other competition, there's all levels of film makers, some already established, others chasing a dream.

I'll never go back to Cannes though. Certain screenings were only for the connected, people were rude, it was super expensive (paid over 400 US a night to lodge) and honestly, France is kinda a dump (don't know if it's crappy sewage systems, but it smelled). Not the romantic country I thought. Toronto and Berlin was very casual fan friendly and affordable. Berlinale is actually the world's largest film festival, I recommend it to any film fan. It's kind of like the comic con for film geeks, which I'm not, I enjoy traveling and movies. I'm no expert. But it was very very very cool.

The same reason good food is rarely found in chain restaurants and good music is rarely produced by boy bands.

We went to Toronto, Berlin, and Cannes. what amazed is the amount of films being shown and honestly some of the best films I've ever seen have been mind blowing short films by guys who are plumbers or regular workers who make films as a hobby. Before I went I thought if you made movies it was your full time job. After going to a few major festivals you see like any other competition, there's all levels of film makers, some already established, others chasing a dream.
I love that kinda thing.

(don't know if it's crappy sewage systems, but it smelled)
Well, you're talking about the epicenter of the let's-put-heads-up-each-other's-assholes solstice here, I mean come on.

Berlinale sounds like it could really be a hoot.

Berlinale sounds like it could really be a hoot.

If you ever get the chance to go to one festival. That's the one you want to go to. I saw maybe the best film of my life there, made by a house wife, on an apple computer, with no dialog, and only 8 minutes long. Have been looking for it online for about a decade. Since it was a german title (and I don't remember it), makes it difficult to find. But one day I'll find it.

Back