Why is it called a snipe hunt if snipe are real?

DoomPatrol

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Seriously. Why do they call it the snipe hunt trick if it's not a fake animal? You can literally go out in the woods and hunt those fuckin birds. So why the association with trickery?

Because in a snipe hunt, you aren't hunting the bird.

I only know one thing for sure about a snipe hunt:

giphy.gif

Because in a snipe hunt, you aren't hunting the bird.

That doesn't make sense buddy. In a snipe hunt, you aren't hunting the bird? I know it's a phrase used to infer sending someone on a wild goose chase (although they frequently chase you but that's another thread), but you can easily go hunt snipe for real. Catching real snipe isn't that hard, so why is it associated with trickery?

What's the difference between a snipe hunt and a pig hunt or a deer hunt?

That doesn't make sense buddy. In a snipe hunt, you aren't hunting the bird? I know it's a phrase used to infer sending someone on a wild goose chase (although they frequently chase you but that's another thread), but you can easily go hunt snipe for real. Catching real snipe isn't that hard, so why is it associated with trickery?

What's the difference between a snipe hunt and a pig hunt or a deer hunt?

Pigs and deer are real.

The snipe you're hunting is not.

Also, if you told someone to catch a wild pig or deer with a sack, he'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

i went back and visited my family in NoVa during the DC Sniper manhunt, people were literally pumping gas bent down using the cars for protection, homies were busting out combat rolls to get across open areas, even saw some advanced bounding and scrolling techniques being implemented, etc...

it was kinda hilarious tbh

Snipe is another name for the timberdoodle, aka woodcock. I never understood why it was referred to as taking someone on a fake hunt either.

i went back and visited my family in NoVa during the DC Sniper manhunt, people were literally pumping gas bent down using the cars for protection, homies were busting out combat rolls to get across open areas, even saw some advanced bounding and scrolling techniques being implemented, etc...

You have a pretty sick sense of humor.......

As do I
{<jordan}

Snipe hunting is apparently pretty difficult and requires experience. The joke was that people would get newbs to go on a snipe hunt with some stupid method and the person would go out and fail and look stupid.

Pigs and deer are real.

The snipe you're hunting is not.

Also, if you told someone to catch a wild pig or deer with a sack, he'd tell you to go fuck yourself.

Yeah but you actually do hunt snipe, a real species of bird, with nets.

So if someone wanted to have me run around the woods chasing snipe with a bag, that's pretty close to how they actually catch snipe.

<{MindBrown}>

I remember that.

Snipe hunting is apparently pretty difficult and requires experience. The joke was that people would get newbs to go on a snipe hunt with some stupid method and the person would go out and fail and look stupid.
They did that to us in Boy Scouts. But I grew up in the woods and came back with one.

The fucks were surprised. Most of them did not know snipes were real

Snipe are delicious. Very good with a whitebrown gravy. Extra thick.

@sniper i dunno whats goin on in here man.

Back