Why is basketball players looked up to as the greatest athletes?

Are basketball players the best athletes?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Long reach and athletic. Also dunking and steroids. I love me some dunking and steroids.

The heavyweight champ is an overweight manlet. Let that sink in.

Anyways, the talent pool in (international) football is much, much larger compared to any other sport. Clearly the top athletes worldwide don’t go for any minor sport like Basletball. Over 3.5 billion people watched the World Cup. Just saying.

Athletic, exhibit both slow and fast twitch muscles, in excellent shape, deceptively strong, excellent hand/eye coordination (trying springting up and down a court while bouncing a basketball ball in front of you, etc.

Not taking anything away from other sports; honestly an argument could be made for any sport but imo basketball players are the best athletes.

I'd argue football players endure much more on a physical and mental level, and because of all the extra padding and additional contact, they are certainly more superior athletes versus basketball players, but to each their own!

Biggest tallest yet still mobile humans in a very fast paced sport. The slow twitched flabby Ben Askren's of the world get weeded out fast.
john-wall.gif
john-wall.gif

The competition level just to get into the NBA or the NFL is ridiculous. You need to be a 1%er just to get into either of those leagues. To be a hall of fame caliber player you need to be a 1%er of the 1%.

With MMA, guys walk in off the street and succeed. Look at Stipe. He isn't even a full time fighter and he's considered among the best in the sport.

MMA doesn't have the same caliber of athlete as the NBA or NFL. It just doesn't. There's no reason to be offended by that fact. MMA is still a great sport to watch.

Because they get paid the most. (together with football)

So people with the most athletic habilities/genetically gifted would tend to flock in that direction, making the cut a lot harder

I imagine thats the most acceptable line of thinking. Am i wrong sherbros? Thats what i always thought

This. Real athletes choose to play in high paying sports, not niche scumbag sports like MMA.

MMA doesn't need the best athletes to be entertaining though.

Why do people here act like there's only one type of athleticism? As was already pointed out, different sports require different attributes. Watch almost any sport played at a high level and you will see people doing things that normal people just can't do, whether it be basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, cricket, or even something as simple as running. Also, jacked =/= athletic. High level Sumo wrestlers and American football linemen are incredibly athletic, despite the fat they carry.

No way a basketball or especially a soccer dude could transition to MLB. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in major sports, IMO. We saw how shitty Michael Jordon did. Bo Jackson is different because he grew up playing baseball some, and not transitioning from football to baseball in college or later.

But back on topic basketball players generally have a longer reach and are taller so that is the perfect body type. Tall and lanky guys with good explosion. Shertards are so retarded in this regard.

Yep. Tall and rangey automatically make you the greatest. That's why no one could ever defeat Stephan Struve or Corey Hill.

Yep. Tall and rangey automatically make you the greatest. That's why no one could ever defeat Stephan Struve or Corey Hill.

Stephan Struve nor Corey Hill (RIP) have 30% of the athleticism of the average benchwarmer in the NBA.

Why are MMA fans like this? MMA does not have the greatest athletes, and that is ok, it is still an enjoyable and entertaining sport.

Why do people here act like there's only one type of athleticism? As was already pointed out, different sports require different attributes. Watch almost any sport played at a high level and you will see people doing things that normal people just can't do, whether it be basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, cricket, or even something as simple as running. Also, jacked =/= athletic. High level Sumo wrestlers and American football linemen are incredibly athletic, despite the fat they carry.

Most people lack the brain power to comprehension this layered reality. I remember some idiotic Nike commercial from the 90s which featured famous athletes competing successfully in different sports (Agassi was playing baseball, etc.). Fact is, they'd all blow because they don't excel at those other sports and excellence is a product of repetition, not divine magic.

As for sumo wrestlers, take a look at their core strength training. It is legitimately badass.

Stephan Struve nor Corey Hill (RIP) have 30% of the athleticism of the average benchwarmer in the NBA.

Why are MMA fans like this? MMA does not have the greatest athletes, and that is ok, it is still an enjoyable and entertaining sport.

If Lebron James had to spar with Mark Hunt, he'd be clutching his face and sobbing. He isn't a fighter and neither are most people.

Last edited:
Honestly basketball is the only sport I can tolerate outside of combat sports. It’s constantly moving and usually exciting with a lot of points being scored and fast paced. It’s not bad to watch. They run fast and jump high and I definitely respect the athleticism.

The argument of what makes the "best" athlete is incredibly subjective. Some people believe hand-eye coordination, 40 times, vertical jumps, etc are the most important factors where others (such as myself) feel it's more relevant what goes on in one's mind and their determination (perhaps more vague and less objective, admittedly). There is a long never ending argument that "A-level" athletes would take over MMA if they chose MMA instead of stick and ball sports. Though I've heard a lot of trusted persons make this argument, I have never felt this. I don't feel there is evidence to suggest that fast twitch muscles in the context of MMA are more than perhaps an ace up one's sleeve as opposed to some important foundational strength that would leave fighters with strong backgrounds in various martial arts helpless.

As for your question? I believe basketball players may be considered the best athletes based on one's criteria. Personally, I feel that they aren't as they aren't typically as mentally tough or durable as athletes in other sports (in my opinion), which is something I put a premium on. However, they do typically have good stamina, can jump high, run fast, and have good coordination and strong strategic ability to make decisions with a short window of time (I believe the ladder can also be said about fighters). I reckon it's a matter of opinion. Obviously I'm incredibly bias, but I consider fighters to be the best athletes.

If Lebron James had to spare with Mark Hunt, he'd be clutching his face and sobbing. He isn't a fighter and neither are most people.

Sure, but Lebron James has way more innate athleticism than Mark Hunt. It doesn't mean that he would be a good fighter. Better athlete does not automatically mean you are a fighter, I agree. However, in terms of raw athleticism (speed, jumping, reflexes, strength) MMA does not have the same caliber of athletes as high paying sports.

Back