• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why in God's name do people live in Home Owners Associations?

my parents live in one and quit elike it. They get their lawn cut, snow cleared, have a club house where the old dudes can rant about 'those people' and a pool too.

my dad is rustled b/c they have a 2 dog, 1 cat limit, but this new dbag has 3 dogs, but one is one of them small mex dogs and the dude just says 'well yeah I know its only 2 dogs allowed, but this one is smaller than a cat so I'm counting it as a cat'.

Not sure how the tribunal will rule on this one.

Well are your parents Kens/Karens? It seems like other Karens/Kens would enjoy each other's company.

I mean, why tf would I be restricted from owning 2 cats? That's ridiculous.

But they aren't the government etc how could they make you actually pay any fine they tried to impose?

You join and agree to the terms of an HOA when you buy the house. I've lived in two HOA communities and never had a single issue. If I wanted to not mow my lawn or keep a bunch of boats and trailers on my property I woulda bought a house in the country.

You join and agree to the terms of an HOA when you buy the house. I've lived in two HOA communities and never had a single issue. If I wanted to not mow my lawn or keep a bunch of boats and trailers on my property I woulda bought a house in the country.

Aah so you sign up to a (presumably) legally binding contract when you buy. Fair enough.

I bought a big older house (50 years) and have been doing heaps of renovations... well paying others to them honestly... I can't even begin to process the idea that I wouldn't be able to style it the way I wanted or paint it in the colours that I wanted etc.

Fuck that utter garbage. I would never agree to those conditions.

People don’t want to just dictate what they do on their own property, but others.

Well are your parents Kens/Karens? It seems like other Karens/Kens would enjoy each other's company.

Because if you own two cats you're a crazy person. HOA doesn't want crazy people but they say that exactly.

It's also a way racists can keep people of color, except Asians, from moving into the neighborhood.

Aah so you sign up to a (presumably) legally binding contract when you buy. Fair enough.

I bought a big older house (50 years) and have been doing heaps of renovations... well paying others to them honestly... I can't even begin to process the idea that I wouldn't be able to style it the way I wanted or paint it in the colours that I wanted etc.

Fuck that utter garbage. I would never agree to those conditions.
Even with the contract though I don't think they can force you to pay up or sell your home, I wonder if there is any court cases on this. I never got a straight answer to that question either.

Someone mentioned tax liens if the local government has a hand in this pot.

I miss my old HOA's clubhouse. We only paid $70/month and it had awesome amenities. Also 24/hour security and they weren't strict except when you leave your trash cans exposed. They had no stupid rules either. Clubhouse had a lagoon pool, lap pool, toddler pool, 2 jacuzzi, cafe, bar, full sized gym, fitness classes, lounge area, kids zone area, party rental space indoor/outdoor, live music on Friday's, different events. Pics of lagoon pool and lap pool. If only we decided to rent out that home instead of selling I would still have access....
the-hla-group-natomas-park-03.jpg

club-gallery-29.jpg

It’s funny how people in America are all about “personal freedom” until it means having to live near poor people, minorities, or someone with more than two cats. Then, it’s not as important.

Back