• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why I Quit BJJ

I know. My original point was that we haven't seen many Judo guys go to MMA in their primes, so it's hard to estimate how good of a base it is. If anything, I think Ishii shows that it can be a good base if you're really good at it and a superior athlete, which he is. I wish we saw more Judoka enter MMA, because it would prove my thesis that they'd adapt about as well as wrestlers and on average better than BJJ guys.

well, I really dont think they would adapt very well, because of the bad habbits you develop for such a long time. What will make them adapt better in average to bjj guys is the athletic ability the top judoka has, because well, the talent pool is way bigger in judo, so there must be alot better athletes doing judo than bjj. But regarding to the art, bjj will adapt better because is very specialized, the ground skills you develop on the ground is very unique, and judo nor wrestling gives you. also, a double or single leg work much better than throws in mma, because the control you can apply right after the throw, you aint knocking anyone out in mma with a throw, so it turns into a not very efficient way to take someone down, trips on the other hand are incredible useful... I think Akiyama vs shields was a showcase of why judo throws nearly as useful as a good double or single. Akiyama was putting shields on his ass, with beutiful throws, yet couldnt do shit after the throw, its the follow up the problme IMO.

Id like to make a short input why you dont see a lot of judo or sambo guys entering in MMA:
Judo is strong in Japan, Europe, East Europe and Russia.
Japanese and europeans dont need to fight in a cage for living, they get subsidies and lots of sponsorship from government and private companies to represent the countries in high level events. Later on they switch directly to coaching.
And nobody bothers to discuss other sports in the judo and sambo gyms. People just go and do their thing. The massive shit talking about other sports is a BJJ, Kungfu and Krav Maga trend...
East europeans and russians are a bit different- the high level athletes in judo and sambo are recruited by the organized crime groups and dont need to fight in a cage for living neither.
m1 is full of judokas and sambo dudes, still vinny whooped them all.

East europeans and russians are a bit different- the high level athletes in judo and sambo are recruited by the organized crime groups and dont need to fight in a cage for living neither.

ok, you have found the reason why judokas and sambistas are not ruling MMA, fucking crime hires them before they become athletes... really? so basically you do judo and sambo in hope to get into the mob and DONT HAVE TO DO the horrible fighting thing? riiiiiight... So if you fuck up with the mob in russia, they send fedor emelianenko to fucki you up hand to hand combat? wouldnt be much fucking easier to hire some crazy ass mother fucker with a 9mm willing to shoot you in the head without thinking twice?

I hardly think 99% of the MMA fighters are doing it because they have to do it for a living, kind of like they are doing it because they like that better than doing another thing.

m1 is full of judokas and sambo dudes, still vinny whooped them all.

ok, you have found the reason why judokas and sambistas are not ruling MMA, fucking crime hires them before they become athletes... really? so basically you do judo and sambo in hope to get into the mob and DONT HAVE TO DO the horrible fighting thing? riiiiiight... So if you fuck up with the mob in russia, they send fedor emelianenko to fucki you up hand to hand combat? wouldnt be much fucking easier to hire some crazy ass mother fucker with a 9mm willing to shoot you in the head without thinking twice?

I hardly think 99% of the MMA fighters are doing it because they have to do it for a living, kind of like they are doing it because they like that better than doing another thing.
Heehehehehe!
Keep dreaming!
Organized crime needs security guards, not enforcers. To rape or murder you, they will most likely send a hard core criminal.
High level athletes drive their cars and act as bodyguards.
And yes, sometimes they send guys like Blagoy Ivanov or the Twins.
Or Alex Emelianenko.
Should I give you some more names, since you obviously dont know what those guys day job is?

Heehehehehe!
Keep dreaming!
Organized crime needs security guards, not enforcers. To rape or murder you, they will most likely send a hard core criminal.
High level athletes drive their cars and act as bodyguards.
And yes, sometimes they send guys like Blagoy Ivanov or the Twins.
Or Alex Emelianenko.
Should I give you some more names, since you obviously dont know what those guys day job is?

keep dreaming? you are telling me that out of 10000 judo black belts and master of the sport they have every year, they all go to the mob? ooookaaay.... im the one dreaming.

So basically this is your "idea" of the sport.

Best Judo black betls-------> MOB
Best Master of the Sport----->MOB
sucky judo black belt -------->MMA
sucky Master of the Sport------>MMA

again...ooookkaaayyyy

keep dreaming? you are telling me that out of 10000 judo black belts and master of the sport they have every year, they all go to the mob? ooookaaay.... im the one dreaming.

I thought you are talking about high level guys?!

Judo as a martial art is awesome, and I like it more everytime I watch and study it.

The rules of the sport are stupid, just like many BJJ gi sport rules.

How can you get an ippon for throwing a guy when he ends up on your back ready to choke or armbar your ass? That's realistic too you?

I agree that's silly. I agree that both BJJ and judo have suboptimal rulesets for maximizing self defense skills. Sport sambo is an interesting third option, which offers a nice balance, although the lack of collar chokes is troubling. The freestyle sambo rules are great, but not widely adopted.

I have never run into this. Yeab some guys talk about mma but not like retards.

So basically this is your "idea" of the sport.

Best Judo black betls-------> MOB
Best Master of the Sport----->MOB
sucky judo black belt -------->MMA
sucky Master of the Sport------>MMA

again...ooookkaaayyyy

Paycheck for 4 fights in a year- 10 000 EUR
Paycheck as a bodyguard- 20 000 EUR

Sometimes its easier to place blame on others than to look in the mirror at the problem. Its very easy to get alone with everyone in bjj for the most part and i have trained at many gyms with students, professionals, doctors, lawyers, high school kids, etc. They all seem to be able to get alone with one another too. I do not know if have no personality and maybe some teamwork issues but on the other hand I find getting along with bjj training partners not much different than my coworkers in corporate america.

Getting a white collar job > Fighting for a living.

Yep, thats what all Olympians do as well- getting a corner office in a bank as soon as they retire from active competition :)
Especially in contries with high unemployment rates...

I've been at my academy for about 2 years now, and I love it. I really have trouble imagining not going back and miss not being there when I am away. The people there are diverse, smart, fun, and helpful people. Their professions range from plumber to lawyer (and everything in between). Sure, you here some bro statements, but not in the way the OP stated here (nothing negative or dumb about the way it is used).

I would guess the OPs 2 biggest problems are: location and himself

well, I really dont think they would adapt very well, because of the bad habbits you develop for such a long time. What will make them adapt better in average to bjj guys is the athletic ability the top judoka has, because well, the talent pool is way bigger in judo, so there must be alot better athletes doing judo than bjj. But regarding to the art, bjj will adapt better because is very specialized, the ground skills you develop on the ground is very unique, and judo nor wrestling gives you. also, a double or single leg work much better than throws in mma, because the control you can apply right after the throw, you aint knocking anyone out in mma with a throw, so it turns into a not very efficient way to take someone down, trips on the other hand are incredible useful... I think Akiyama vs shields was a showcase of why judo throws nearly as useful as a good double or single. Akiyama was putting shields on his ass, with beutiful throws, yet couldnt do shit after the throw, its the follow up the problme IMO.

But he was taking him down over and over, right? That's where Judo is effective. Akiyama sucks at keeping guys down mostly because he gasses, but watch any of his fights, he can always choose where the fight takes place and that's the reason guys with good TDs do so well. Besides, most TDs in MMA come from the clinch, which is where Judo excels. Just watch any Jon Jones fight to see the effectiveness of clinch throwing in MMA.

I've found that almost all the people I've encountered in the 7 months I've been training, have been some of the nicest people I've met. Far nicer than the average person on the street, IMO. Sure, they're not all MDs or Engineers, but pretty decent people who have spared their own time to help give me knowledge. I won't judge, I'm grateful.

I always tell people this, I've meet a lot of really good/nice people doing Judo and BJJ, and have made some really good friends.

Though I do kinda see where TS is coming from. I started Judo several months before taking up BJJ and there is a big cultural difference. My Judo coach while very old school, he frowns upon teachers that treat their students act like servants. His only rules are to always stay busy, and that when on the tatami when he begins to instruct you must stay quiet and pay attention.

I was kinda shocked by how "lax" bjj classes are. I have a sense of humor and am quite the smartass myself, but when I'm on the mat I view it like I'm at school. I stay quite, listen to the instructors, and raise my hands to ask questions. Countless times I've seen guys chat away, while a technique is being shown. Even worse, we even have a guy at my gym that loves to show his own techniques to his "clique" of buddies, while the instructor is doing his thing in front of the whole class. Several times while drilling take downs, they just ignored what they were just shown and drilled deep-half stuff instead.

While I would like to say that the coaches are only to blame for not enforcing a strict code of conduct, but they actually partake in it sometimes as well. All that being said, I love my club, but when/if I ever get the chance to instruct I'm going to run my classes in a much different manner.

I think you're going to run into this problem just gym you go to, it's the double edged sword of the MMA popularity effect. If you really feel as though it is a problem, my unwarranted advice, let them be and go your own path. I'd say with 9 years of practicing BJJ you should be happy with your proficiency level. Not to sound harsh and I may be wrong about this but you do sound like a bit of an antisocial individual as indicated per your many levels of pet peeves among others and maybe a martial art you could practice in the comfort of your own home may provide a haven from the "MMA bro guy".

Back