Why I favor Gus in a rematch with Jones.

DexterSW

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think Gus vs Rumble is a 80/20 fight. Gus should take that one alot of times, due to his footwork, speed, cardio and boxing.
If Gus beats Rumble I think he has a great chance this time against Jones.

Even if Jones knows alot more about Gus second time around, there is one thing that makes the rematch tip in Gus favor.
The fact that Jones boxing defence has not gotten any better.
Even a short DC connected with some jabs and punches from range. Gus knows coming into the rematch that he can stuff alot of takedowns, this will make him open up his striking alot more. Him knowing what he can do now will make him push Jones alot more in a rematch. With pushing more I mean longer boxing combos, he did it a few times and Jones attacks was all gone.

I see this as the biggest factor to Gus winning the fight. Jones has a bad defence when it comes to boxing, he freezes up, going straight back. Watch the first fight and pay attention to the times Gus put together some longer combos, you could also see it in the DC fight a few times. If Gus uses his footwork to cut angles and puts together longer combos he will win this rematch, I can't see Jones dealing with it.

I said IF, I think this is at this time the only key to beating Jones, Gus has the tools. He just has to push his boxing alot more.

Same height better striking, better movement, great tdd, iron chin.
Gus 2015 LHW CHAMP

He will win, Gus could have been way more aggressive in his first fight but had a little to much respect. Not next time.

Already had one chance to win, and lost.

Jackson camp game planning + Jones' natural talent and superior fight IQ = AND STILL

But I do love to see Jones haters getting their hopes up just be crushed, yet again.

Continue.

As a Jones fan , I won't lie. I'm not sure he beats Gus in the rematch either. Just like the OP says, his boxing sucks. Then again he DID out strike Gus and win the first time even with shit boxing.

Hopefully both fighters come improved, I can't wait. I mean I can but you know...whatever.

As much as I'd like to see Bones humbled, I think he will be better prepared for Gus and have a better game plan next time around.

Gus will not even get past Rumble. Even if Gus were to get a fluke win over Rumble then he is still not beating Jones. Gus doesn't have what it takes to win at the top of the division.

Already had one chance to win, and lost.

Jackson camp game planning + Jones' natural talent and superior fight IQ = AND STILL

But I do love to see Jones haters getting their hopes up just be crushed, yet again.

Continue.

He didn't lose he was robbed. He dominated 24 minutes of the first fight.

I think rumble is a much tougher fight than jones. I think Gus beats jones fairly easily. However megarumble is going to ko Gus

I think Gus vs Rumble is a 80/20 fight. Gus should take that one alot of times, due to his footwork, speed, cardio and boxing.
If Gus beats Rumble I think he has a great chance this time against Jones.

Even if Jones knows alot more about Gus second time around, there is one thing that makes the rematch tip in Gus favor.
The fact that Jones boxing defence has not gotten any better.
Even a short DC connected with some jabs and punches from range. Gus knows coming into the rematch that he can stuff alot of takedowns, this will make him open up his striking alot more. Him knowing what he can do now will make him push Jones alot more in a rematch. With pushing more I mean longer boxing combos, he did it a few times and Jones attacks was all gone.

I see this as the biggest factor to Gus winning the fight. Jones has a bad defence when it comes to boxing, he freezes up, going straight back. Watch the first fight and pay attention to the times Gus put together some longer combos, you could also see it in the DC fight a few times. If Gus uses his footwork to cut angles and puts together longer combos he will win this rematch, I can't see Jones dealing with it.

I said IF, I think this is at this time the only key to beating Jones, Gus has the tools. He just has to push his boxing alot more.

Good analysis. I agree with this assessment.

So what if Gus has better boxing? Jones is the better, more diverse striker overall. Jones also has at least just as good of a chin, in my opinion better, than Gus does. We've also seen that he digs deeper in the championship rounds. His cardio is excellent, as are his creativity and general fight IQ.

Gus definitely has the boxing, confidence and physical gifts to make it a great fight.

The rematch will be interesting to see which one of them has advanced more since the loss. Was that Gus's perfect fight? Did Jones underestimate him? Interesting questions, and hopefully we'll get some answers.

I think rumble is a much tougher fight than jones. I think Gus beats jones fairly easily. However megarumble is going to ko Gus

Oh hey, I didn't even know you were still around trolling.

Anybody who says that Jones gets beaten easily by anybody is a blind hater.

Well then Jones must have put a hella ass whooping on that 25th minute coz there sure wasn't any robbery.

Looking forward to seeing more salty tears from the JBJ haters if Gus gets another shot.

Jones is going to destroy Gus imo. I think the fight we all need to see is Cain/Jones.

Well then Jones must have put a hella ass whooping on that 25th minute coz there sure wasn't any robbery.

Looking forward to seeing more salty tears from the JBJ haters if Gus gets another shot.

Other than the 1 minute following the hellbow. Gus utterly dominated the fight.

So what if Gus has better boxing? Jones is the better, more diverse striker overall. Jones also has at least just as good of a chin, in my opinion better, than Gus does. We've also seen that he digs deeper in the championship rounds. His cardio is excellent, as are his creativity and general fight IQ.

Gus definitely has the boxing, confidence and physical gifts to make it a great fight.

The rematch will be interesting to see which one of them has advanced more since the loss. Was that Gus's perfect fight? Did Jones underestimate him? Interesting questions, and hopefully we'll get some answers.

As I see it, it is the one and only key to beating Jones right now. He has shown that no wrestler is able to put him in trouble, not even an olympian.
Gus has all the tools to match Jones where he can be beat, in the boxing department. Sure Jones has alot of tools, he used them against Gus, but when he is backing up with his hands in front of his face those tools are useless.

I dare anyone to watch the fight again and tell me there is not a big flaw in Jones game regarding his boxing defence. Look up those spots when Gus throws longer combos, Jones does not like it at all, he has no defence for it.

I really believe that if Gus throws alot more hand combos he will win a clear cut UD, not a doubt in my heart about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back