Why guys like Shogun are more fun to watch

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm watching Rua v Nog II and I feel these guys are not as athletic as your Rockholds or MMs of the world - not even in their prime. And they are probably not as technically efficient as today's athlete-first-fighter-second guys. But it makes for more of a street fight feel - it's why PRIDE and pre 2011 UFC was more fun to watch.

Today's fighters are better than ever, but they are not as fun.

Yeah the old school types are always fun to watch, I'm hoping for that Shogun/Rampage rematch.

This is nonsense. Styles make fights. I've seen non athletic fighters and very athletic fighters. It's about how they match up.

more fun in pride,the guys flying stomp game was better than anyones

Pretty sure Nog medaled Brazil in boxing in the Pan-Am Games and Shogun had some moves back in the day, they have devolved more in to brawlers now though.

Their first fight was like a Rocky film though.

nogdropsshogun.gif

Shogun was super athletic before all his knee surgeries.

tumblr_mbsjf27tTY1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

shogun.gif

But if you want to see great technique just watch Shogun Vs Machida I.

Last edited:
Some of those old-school guys (and old-er school guys) had that "every man" vibe. They weren't great athletes; they were just tough SOB's who worked hard and kicked ass. It's something that a lot of us average joe's can appreciate and would love to emulate (though very few of us actually do).

The reason their fights are better is that they were never taught to point fight early in their carreers.

Nowadays all coaches tell their fighters to spam takedowns on the end of a round or hold dominant positions while doing nothing and shit like that to "win rounds". I understand it's part of the evolution of the sport and all that, but it makes it much less entertaining than seeing two guys going all out trying to knock or submit each other out.

More like a lack of wrasslin' background, which relies on control and point fighting

Back