Why don't we see more soccer kicks to the body?

wowspare

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Stomps to any body part of a downed opponent are illegal, and soccer kicks to the head of a downed opponent are illegal under the unified rules.
However, soccer kicks to the BODY of a downed opponent are perfectly legal. So why do we see so few fighters use them in the UFC?

Rockhold vs Philippou and Matt Brown vs Erick Silva are the only fights that I can remember where fighters kick the downed opponents' body.
Often times when a fighter turtles up, we see fighters throwing punches to the head, or trying to take the back to sink in a RNC. Rarely do they ever kick the body of a turtled opponent. Here's to hoping to see more kicks against turtled opponents

Given the positioning of a fighter usually facing each other a kick to the body is pretty risky.

I honestly think it's because a lot of fighters don't think of it in the moment.

It's another example of the amount of head hunting that goes on MMA. So many fighters ignore the body, whether standing or on the ground. I can't count the amount of times I've seen a fighter hurt his opponent, then wail on his opponents blocking arms while the body is wide open.

Also, the vast majority of fighters (or athletes in general) don't push the boundaries of the sport. They stick within the boundaries of what's usually done. And kicks and knees to the body aren't usually done.

MMA is such a new sport that there a so many opportunities that are still available and lie there waiting for the right fighter to show how to exploit them.

It's like Anderson's front kick on Vitor. Yeah, it wasn't exactly the first front kick to land in MMA/Kickboxing action, but it was by far the highest profile front kick KO in MMA. Before that kick, everyone would've said that front kicks are useless leftover from karate/taekwondo and don't work in MMA. Now everyone and their grandma throws them. Browne knocked out Overeem with one.

Knees/kicks to the body of a turtled opponent are slightly different because plenty of people have done them before, so I think in this case it's not only that fighters don't think of it in the moment, but it's also a risk/reward thing. You better make that kick/knee count, because the guy's getting up if you don't.

Last edited:
Yea makes you vulnerable to the take down and knees are more damaging while allowing you to keep a good position.

I honestly think it's because a lot of fighters don't think of it in the moment.

It's another example of the amount of head hunting that goes on MMA. So many fighters ignore the body, whether standing or on the feet. I can't count the amount of times I've seen a fighter hurt his opponent, then wail on his opponents blocking arms while the body is wide open.

This happens a lot and its very annoying. Looks sloppy and amatuer.

It's another example of the amount of head hunting that goes on MMA. So many fighters ignore the body, whether standing or on the feet. I can't count the amount of times I've seen a fighter hurt his opponent, then wail on his opponents blocking arms while the body is wide open.

Part of the problem that goes with that is that a ref is far less likely to stop a fight based on blows to the body and more likely to stop it based on blows to the head.

So the best option is to punch at a turtled person's head because the ref is more likely to end the fight.

Look at Yoel Romero vs Derek Brunson, Romero had to elbow Brunson like 15x (unanswered) in the side before the ref finally called the fight. This gives fighters more time to get out of a bad position because refs are terrible about body shot stoppages.

I think Johnny Bedford soccer kicked Louis Gaudinot to the body at the Tuf Finale and James Irvin finished a guy in an early ufc with a soccer kick to the body - it was pretty boss

I've always wondered how good a fighter that body hunted would be, like a fighter that regular attacks the body since pretty much all fighters bar a few almost refuse to deliver solid hits to their opponents bodies.

thats like teeping to the body, not that damaging and you risk getting taken down/loosing a dominant position.

Ask some of Wanderlei or Shogun's opponents in PRIDE how "not damaging" a soccer kick to the body was. Of course, they didn't have to worry about being DQed for "accidentally" hitting the head, so they were more free to wind up and let fly.

No idea. Soccer is one of the best bases for MMA as Joe Rogan will tell you. Just look at Aldo a failed soccer player and arguably the number 1 p4p

i think irvin vs some guy.. brutal stuff.

Also you risk hitting his elbow with your feet and that's not nice...

I've always wondered how good a fighter that body hunted would be, like a fighter that regular attacks the body since pretty much all fighters bar a few almost refuse to deliver solid hits to their opponents bodies.

It's a big deal, partly because so few MMA fighters protect the body adequately. Willingness to attack the body is what makes Fabio Maldonado a good fighter rather than a mediocre one. It's what makes Nick Diaz a great fighter instead of a very good one.

I'd guess it's a little bit because many fighters have problems with ingraining the "don't kick the head when down" rule and at the same time keeping themselves open for legal, ut similar attacks.

I also think it's because you forfeit any possible control of the opponent when you do it, essentially allowing him to stand up if you don't knock him out. Control is a high percentage fight winner.

Also, the vast majority of fighters (or athletes in general) don't push the boundaries of the sport. They stick within the boundaries of what's usually done. And kicks and knees to the body aren't usually done.

MMA is such a new sport that there a so many opportunities that are still available and lie there waiting for the right fighter to show how to exploit them.

It's like Anderson's front kick on Vitor. Yeah, it wasn't exactly the first front kick to land in MMA/Kickboxing action, but it was by far the highest profile front kick KO in MMA. Before that kick, everyone would've said that front kicks are useless leftover from karate/taekwondo and don't work in MMA. Now everyone and their grandma throws them. Browne knocked out Overeem with one.

Knees/kicks to the body of a turtled opponent are slightly different because plenty of people have done them before, so I think in this case it's not only that fighters don't think of it in the moment, but it's also a risk/reward thing. You better make that kick/knee count, because the guy's getting up if you don't.

What else would they be standing on??? Hands ???

If you are in position to soccer kick to the body you can't effectively hold your opponent down. In most scenarios a fighter could just stand to avoid a kick to the body.

Irvin, St. Pierre, and Franklin have all landed pretty devastating soccer kicks to the body of downed opponents.

Not sure. They're awesome and pretty damn painful.

Also, Robbie Lawler finished Scott Smith with one in EliteXC.

thats like teeping to the body, not that damaging and you risk getting taken down/loosing a dominant position.
lol.. maybe in mma, if you suck, and telegraph your kicks from miles away instead of disguising them with the threat of round kicks, jabs etc...

Also, thips absolutely do feel like shit at times. Try walking onto a guy's thip, not fun.

Back