why don't gloves have most of the cushioning over the knuckles?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ShadowNINku, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

why don't gloves have most of the cushioning over the knuckles that you are actually supposed to make contact with?, gloves have them between the knuckles and the next joint on the way to the extremities,

I could hit with the knuckles if bare handed but with wraps the natural alignment of the straight wrist changes the hitting surface, is this the reason for the padding being mostly where it is?

2. Foxx_MMA

Foxx_MMA Green Belt

I think they pad gloves the way they do so they hold together. If you bunched up all the padding in the front the gloves would be bulky and the padding could move around. If the padding is one piece from your wrist to your fingers the padding wont move around

3. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

I know that it has to be one piece but a part of this padding is the thickest and shouldn't this thick part be over the knuckles and not in the area where you would put a ring on?

4. jliu6190

jliu6190 Yellow Belt

good question

i'm thinking its because when you're just swinging away wildly after getting hit in the face, you probably forget about form and just..hit with whatever part of your fist? and maybe the usual contact surface turns out to be the ring area?