Why dont fighters evolve?

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
it is puzzling to me why some fighters, especially at the top level dont add new things to their arsenal.

Johny hendricks leading up to the fight decided to spend time getting stronger instead of trying to figure out thompsons style.

It blows my mind some guys still want to use the same old stuff when they fight.

Why didnt hendricks spend time learning to kick.

Guys like JDS added kicks. Werdum added muay thai.

Then u got hendricks just trying to get stronger, i guess he really knew he was never gonna be able to strike with thompson and just wanted to be stronger so he could grind him. But he ended up looking like an amateur. Thompson was not one bit afraid of his power and toyed with him spinning shit and all.

Wrestlers are usually an arrogant bunch.

Wrestlers are usually an arrogant bunch.
That might be the case, but at a professional level, theres no place for that.

If these guys want to win so badly to the point of extreme weight cutting, why cant they swallow their pride and accept that being the same type of fighter will get you beat.

I'm guessing he felt he had little chance of beating Wonderboy on the feet, considering he's the best striker at 170, and instead went full-board on his wrestling to nuetralise the striking.

:rolleyes: Indeed. Hendricks has never improved any aspect of his game.

You can't just decide to evolve while being in your 30s after a lifetime of wrestling. You make it sound so easy.

it is puzzling to me why some fighters, especially at the top level dont add new things to their arsenal.

Guys like JDS added kicks. Werdum added Muay Thai.

The title " why hasn't Jonny Hendricks evolved" is looking a lot better now

You kinda answered your own question at the end. Hendricks knew he wasn't going to win a fight on the feet so he built up his strength in order to help keep Wonderboy down. Obviously that didn't really work out, but its often times best for a fighter to focus on and improve their strengths than try to shore up on what may be their shortcomings in the particular fight. I'm looking at you Ronda.

It is more difficult to go from very good to amazing than it is to go from bad to kinda good... They are competing a high level, it's not easy to just learn a new skill and use it effectively against guys who might have been doing the same thing for literally decades

Also, in some circumstances, some of these fighters will rather try to get even better at what they are already good at than try to get good at something they are really bad

Wrestlers almost never adapt or evolve...

it's a lot harder than you think, ts. habits are tough to break. especially ones that you've had for years and years.

It's not just fighting, it happens with any acquirable skill. Some people learn something well, then lock into place and don't change because they think the same things will work forever. Other's keep their minds limber and accept the fact that everything is transitory and they must evolve or be left in the wake of people who do.

Hendricks developed excuses after all of his fights. He never felt like he lost. So he never evolved. That's why it's important to be honest with yourself.

Pride. Not the japanese org. Seriously. It's like Rampage not checking leg kicks. Pride.

Back