Why don’t MMA cornerman protect their fighters?

I'm jus glad it's a decision I don't have to make. It has to be one of the worst moments (assuming they even discuss it with their fighter) to handle.

Not the same.

If you're worried about your fighter taking punches and kicks to the head, you can't ever let him fight.
This discussion is about unnecessary damage and being spent/done yet not getting rescued by your corner.

Honestly it was pretty laughable. Herb Dean and a doctor from the commission are having a conversation with Ortega and he’s so concussed he has no idea what’s being said. Ortega is continually asked “how many fingers” and he keeps getting it wrong. The ref and commission continue with the facade that they care about the fighters health while the fighter is standing there with brain damage.
Whats scary is that Ortega could have purposely gave the wrong answers to get out of the fight at that time but got peer pressured by the officials/cornermen to hang in there.

*MMA is less dangerous
*MMA injuries are more superficial
*MMA has more ways to come back after getting your asss beat for several rounds or an entire round, in particular a comeback by submission or slam/hailmary punch are possible but usually submisssion
*In MMA losing by decision or a Doctor stoppage looks better on paper to fans than being finished, or your corner throwing in the towel

The beating JDS took in the Cain fights is a good example of a corner not protecting their fighter. He wasn’t gonna win as it was quite apparent and he was taking so much damage that might took years off his career and probably life.

MMA is the more dynamic sport, in which the loser has more ways to come back from the beating and make a comeback.

Partly this, and mostly Boxing has been around forever so we've seen far more examples of it.

I doubt there was much towel throwing in the early years of boxing.

to get their cut from a possible win/50k

886ebd3706ce5b2aef1f3c043d567bb9.gif

People get a certain type of image of Nick, but he has a pretty realistic view when he's in/around the cage when it comes to health.

Threw the towel for his brother, and when he knew he was done...called it off in his fight with Robbie.

Cool bro. So corners should gamble on a 1 or 2 percent chance when years of life and quality of life are on the line for their fighter. I don't disagree it's glorious to watch, but the failure rate is a tad absurd to brush off.

I don't really disagree, but... in MMA, how many fighters want their corner operating independent of what they want? Anthony Smith being an example.

I DON'T think it should be frowned upon. It should be a part of the game. I don't think a ton of fighters will adopt it, though.

Only family members throw towels,
Gracies for Royce vs Saku after 90 minutes of fighting
Nick for Nate Diaz having his head kicked into Bolivia

They care more about their immediate salary rather than protecting their fighter. Nick Diaz cornering his brother against Josh Thomson being the rare exception.

In MMA there’s always the option to initiate grappling in order to reduce blows to the head, in boxing you can clinch and take a knee but it isn’t a long term strategy

Corners are quicker to pull the trigger in Boxing but unfortunately the two sports have different cultures. Couldn't tell you why but my theory is that MMA is the more dynamic sport, in which the loser has more ways to come back from the beating and make a comeback.

Ortegas two near subs on Volk didn't help him as far as getting saved from his people. That probably gave them enough hope to not stop it.
Yes good observation. You don't see too many comebacks in boxing plus the cumulative damage is higher which explains parts of it.
Then boxing culture is not as pyscho as MMA culture. People quit on the stool regularly in boxing.

Honestly it was pretty laughable. Herb Dean and a doctor from the commission are having a conversation with Ortega and he’s so concussed he has no idea what’s being said. Ortega is continually asked “how many fingers” and he keeps getting it wrong. The ref and commission continue with the facade that they care about the fighters health while the fighter is standing there with brain damage.

Maybe Ortega should rewatch it and if has a problem with it he can address it. If that was a amateur fight i would say sure stop it. Probably not in a UFC title fight.

Ortega then fought for 2 more rounds and had a strong 5th, they're trying to win, next.

And yet he got battered and lost every round on all 3 score cards proving the damage was pointless.
He was soundly beat and that was evident early, pride and foolishness is why he was kept in.

Back