Why doesn’t Khabib have more TKOs?

I’m not a Khabib fan, but when he entered his prime he started finishing fights, at his peak he was head and shoulders above the competition and a lock for the LW GOAT. I honestly wish we would’ve gotten to see another 4-5 fights from him, that would’ve propelled him into the discussion with Fedor, GSP, Siva, JBJ, DJ, ect... I’m of the belief that as he aged the weight cut was what actually retired him, making weight consistently for another few years would’ve brought long term health consequences.

Obviously striking wasn’t his bread and butter, stick to whatever your good at...
Agreed. Finishing his last 3 opponents was more impressive than pretty much anything else in his career.

I'd have loved to see how long he could sustain it, if he had chosen to continue fighting.

We get it you hate khabib. So much you keep talking about him

What? I didn’t say a single negative thing about him?

I literally said he hits people fucking hard - why don’t they go out?

When you read one thing and conclude the exact opposite, then you need to get your head checked. Been a Khabib fan before you knew how to pronounce Nurmagamedov.

I can't recall a non-heavyweight putting someone out cold with ground and pound without dropping them first. It has probably happened, but I can't think of any examples.

So you're basically asking why Khabib never did something that nobody else does either.

I can't recall a non-heavyweight putting someone out cold with ground and pound without dropping them first. It has probably happened, but I can't think of any examples.

So you're basically asking why Khabib never did something that nobody else does either.

Romero Machida maybe?

My theory was that something about hitting someone’s face against the mat does less damage. Like the floor stabilises the head or something and you don’t get the brain movement needed for a KO

He could have easily got a TKO against Barboza but the ref thought Barboza was 'in' the fight for some reason...

Romero Machida maybe?

My theory was that something about hitting someone’s face against the mat does less damage. Like the floor stabilises the head or something and you don’t get the brain movement needed for a KO

Good one. Niko Price vs Randy Brown too, if you include shots from the bottom. And Hector Sandoval vs Matt Schnell.

I think there's something to that theory, and also the fact that fighters getting GnP'd can usually see the shots coming and brace for them.

Last edited:
There are probably several reasons, my guess is that he’s used to using his entire body for positional control, and that makes it tough to raise up and go for TKOs. I just assume his game plan is always to maintain control and wear down opponents

There are probably several reasons, my guess is that he’s used to using his entire body for positional control, and that makes it tough to raise up and go for TKOs. I just assume his game plan is always to maintain control and wear down opponents
Yep, maintaining such dominant top control like Khabib does actually takes a lot of effort, particularly in hips, core and trunk.

That’s makes getting enormous KO power quite difficult.

Just be glad that he finished three title challengers in a row. He wasn't bullshitting when he said he could have easily submitted Barboza and Al.

Yes he had a good streak at the end, but lol at saying you could finish but didn't. His the decision king and worked the system well.

Because they either fight just to survive to the bell or they give up the arm or neck. No one wants to get slowly mauled for 25 minutes by a mountain man that wrestled bears for fun as a kid.

Romero Machida maybe?

You get more facial damage, cuts, and swelling without the concussions.

Lol no. Are you kidding? Gaethje and Poirier were not in the top 10 p4p when Khabib fought them.

GSP was the real guy who beat 3 guys in a row who were at the top 10 p4p that time. He beat:

Serra, the WW champ in the rematch, 2008
Jon Fitch, consensus #2 WW and #5 p4p on 2008
And BJ Penn, LW champ that time, 2009

All 3 guys were in the top 10 p4p that time.

Conor is the only guy in the top 10 p4p that Khabib beat.

Dustin and Gaethje? Lol. Top 15 or 20 p4p maybe.

This. I also raised my eyebrow at this.

If it were true it just shows how fucking stupid p4p actually is. None of these guys had streaks or resumes to put them there.

A fight with two legit p4p is like Tony - Khabib (if it happened at the right time) GSP - Fitch, Jones - DC, Stipe - DC, Fedor - Nog, Cain - JDS. Usually two unstoppable forces with real streaks. Not someone Nate Diaz rapped a few fights ago or went 3-2 before getting a shot. Porier the only one that comes close to reasonably earning it.

Back