Why do you think French fighters in Tristar are not doing as well as Rory?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When it comes to Tristar, the main fighters they have now are Rory MacDonald and fighters from France like Francis Carmont and Nordine Taleb. And when it comes to French fighters, we have in general seen how fighters from France are lagging very far behind American fighters even at lower levels, for example with Karl Ammoussou, Cheick Kongo and Cyril Diabate. But with guys from France, it seems that even when they fight in Tristar alongside guys like Rory that the do not do nearly as well as fighters like Rory. I mean, Francis Carmont is now a UFC bust and Taleb's last fight was a very narrow win over an unknown fighter from Asia that many felt he did not actually win. Why aren't they doing as well as Rory or GSP did or even TJ Grant before his injury for that matter?

I thought that since France had such a great tradition with sports like Judo, kickboxing and Savate, that they would be doing better by now and would have a few top 10 fighters, especially when they are training at gyms like Tristar. Is the problem that the most capable French fighters are not going into MAM yet? Is it that the martial arts training of French fighters fails to translate to North American MMA?

And what needs to change so that French fighters can go to gyms like Tristar, Greg Jackson or ATT and have the same success we have seen from Canadians, Russians, Irish and Swedish fighters?

All the talent in France goes into Muay Thai. Those guys at tristar are among a few who actually prefer MMA.

Other than the fact they're French?

talent, maybe?

Aside that frenchs are more focused into Judo, MT or Savate and those that aren't successful there go to MMA, but nationality as nothing to do in the way that Tristar has non-french like Hatsu Hioki, Rick Hawn, Mark Bocek, Yves Jabouin and Ivan Menjivar that aren't doing well like in the past.

OP, perhaps you haven't heard, but MMA is banned in France.

I hope this answers your question.

It's not really motivating to start a sport in which competition is illegal in your country. If guys like grappling they'll go to the world class French judo federation, if they prefer stand-up they have plenty options in (kick)boxing and muay-thai, but everything is made to discourage them to do MMA. Pancrace (with no strikes on the ground) is still an option but that won't motivate fighters from other countries to participate and raise the competitivity.

France has surrendered a bunch of times. Well here in Canada we have the largest population of french people who have never surrendered. Maybe it's kind of there country's ingrained mentality

Also Rory is from B.C or Alberta

France has surrendered a bunch of times. Well here in Canada we have the largest population of french people who have never surrendered. Maybe it's kind of there country's ingrained mentality

Also Rory is from B.C or Alberta

Yeah that was the point. One of only a couple non French Canadian guys is the one that is doing the best. So it was a question of why all the French guys are not doing as well as he is given the martial arts talent in France and also why Rory is so many miles ahead of where everyone else is in Tristar. I mean, they have no other fighter I know of besides Rory who is anywhere near the top 4, and at the time I was thinking that given the martial arts traditions in France, from Judo to Muay Thai to Knockdown Karate to Savate, that there would be more.

But I see that other posters are right, the issue is that MMA has not been able to attract France's absolute best Savate, Knockdown Karate, Judo and Muay Thai guys.

It seems to me that if you had all of France's most capable Muay Thai, Knockdown Karate, Judo and Savate fighters transition to MMA, it would be all but guaranteed that at least a handful would eventually be able to do some real damage in the UFC and crack the top 5 with a couple possibly even contending for a title. Is is reasonable that I would think this?

Yeah that was the point. One of only a couple non French Canadian guys is the one that is doing the best. So it was a question of why all the French guys are not doing as well as he is given the martial arts talent in France and also why Rory is so many miles ahead of where everyone else is in Tristar. I mean, they have no other fighter I know of besides Rory who is anywhere near the top 4, and at the time I was thinking that given the martial arts traditions in France, from Judo to Muay Thai to Knockdown Karate to Savate, that there would be more.

But I see that other posters are right, the issue is that MMA has not been able to attract France's absolute best Savate, Knockdown Karate, Judo and Muay Thai guys.

It seems to me that if you had all of France's most capable Muay Thai, Knockdown Karate, Judo and Savate fighters transition to MMA, it would be all but guaranteed that at least a handful would eventually be able to do some real damage in the UFC and crack the top 5 with a couple possibly even contending for a title. Is is reasonable that I would think this?

Yeah but actually they should immediately compete outside France like in Cage Warriors, SHC, ... b/c fighting in 100% fight or other french promotions don't prepare u well to Unified Rules, the lack of gnp is a huge limit if then u transition to other MMA rulesets.

Back