Why do so many of you obsess about predictions?

I can understand counting out CM Punk, some freak fights.
But we are still talking about the underdogs.
Rousey vs Holm
Serra vs GSP 1
And so on
Never know what will happen. If it was that simple, what is the point?
Just hand out the win, already
I wouldn't use the word obsess but discussing what will happen is fun. I think Gaethje will win the title on Saturday. He's gonna KO Khabib and shock the world. Khabib won't be able to get him to the ground (see TIbau fight) and Justin is too much for Khabib on the feet. 3rd round KO for Gaethje is my prediction.

Rousey vs Holm
Serra vs GSP 1
And so on
On the subject of obsession, why all the obsession on who is the GOAT? First of all there is no such thing as a GOAT and second, even if there was why would you care who it was? Would you as a fan get some sort of prize for knowledge of GOAT......yes sir, if you can tell me who is the correct GOAT, you win a trip to UFC 300 all expenses paid and you get to fuck a ring girl.........SORRY BUT YOU DONT....let it go

I gamble for money. Obsessing about predictions and getting them right is literally my entire job lol.
Are you serious? You're a professional gambler? What's your income range?

Let's see here...

1. Exceptions prove the rule
2. It's an mma forum, wtf?
3. At least it is something that will be proven/disproven with time. I'll take predictions over hypothetical steroid, super fight and GOAT discussions any day. Not to mention twitter/instagram drama, who will corner Mike Perry, etc...

You've singled out one of the most palatable aspects of sherdog imo

I don't know what fucking point you're trying to make, but it's just a fucking stupid question. We're human beings and we simply like to talk about shit, especially how events turn out. What part of that can't you interpret?

Yeah but making a "prediction" with the benefit of hindsight isn't really a "prediction".

Go back and look at the boards prior to Anderson vs Forrest and see how many people were predicting, (or analysing if you prefer, a Forrest win. Now look at the narrative of that fight from those same posters who suddenly say Forrest was " tailor made" for Anderson to beat.

If we don't analyze or "make predictions" about up coming fights based on stylistic match ups and only talk about fights after they happen this would be a pretty boring forum.

I do agree the bumping threads to shit on posters that got it wrong or brag is pretty lame though since we all get it wrong from time to time and sometimes we hit the nail on the head but more often than not it's a crap shoot. (For the record I predicted Rousey vs Holm, lol).
/thread (mercifully!)
There are, of course, nice, decent people on these boards who you can actually discuss fight/s/ers with, but there's also an obscene amount of angsty (haemor)rhoid-raging keyboard warriors who suck the life out of it/troll/are too polarized/obsessive to discuss anything in nuance.

It can be too much but some of these are priceless looking back.

Well making predictions are a part of understanding what you are watching. If you never have a clue who will win then you likely have no idea what you're watching. Also some people like to bet and in that case being good at predictions is extremely important.

Rousey vs Holm
Serra vs GSP 1
And so on

I'm actually of your opinion. I never predict the outcomes of the fights and when pressed to do so I usually say "I'm a fan, not a fortuneteller." Still...I love listening to the MMA Vivisection podcast which analyzes upcoming fights in excruciating detail and give predictions. Even if prediction is a fool's errand, it's still a great jumping off point to talk about two fighters skills and flaws, and how they might react with one another.

Are you serious? You're a professional gambler? What's your income range?

Yeh, I don't have any other job.

Not really sure what my income is. It's goes up and down and I sort of lost track of my overall profits because I'm a moron with numbers. In the last 4 months the only losing card I've had was where I lost $100. Rest of the 17 or so cards in that time has been $800-$1000 profit every UFC card.

I'm going back to my old system of gambling. I was making like 3-4k per card a couple of months when I first started. It was more risky, but I made it work.

Even $800-1k is fine. It might not seem like a lot, but I don't have to pay tax on any gambling winnings in my country + I don't have a wife and kids or anything. My hobbies are hiking and reading lol. I can't even spend bulk cash on fancy food or anything because my stomach is crap and I have to eat simple, bland food anyway haha. Everything I'm into costs fuck all. I could live off a couple hundred a week easily.

What are we supposed to discuss then?

Fighters' physiques and hairlines?????

Oh, wait a min...

<{1-17}>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back