Why do so few fighters stand up from inside guard like Benson Henderson?

Just Jared

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Bendo does this all the time, most recently against Diaz. It lets him generate a lot of power for his GnP and keeps him safe from most submissions, yet the majority of MMA fighters seem content to just sit in guard and work weaker strikes or lower pecentage guard passes from there. I can recall Diego Sanchez standing up out of guard to attack as well, but other than that not many names spring to mind.

From my limited experience, it seems to be the same in pure BJJ. I've been training for a few years now, and I often find that it's easier to pass guard from standing than on my knees. I'm reluctant to place too much stock in this when compared with MMA since I usually train with a gi so it might not cross over as well as you'd think, but then I watch a fight like Bendo-Diaz and it seems to be really effective, both in terms of passing the guard and for striking.

I'd assume that it had to do with letting your opponent back to their feet, but Henderson seems to keep a good level of control while standing. Whenever they move to get back up he can usually grab the legs and move in to side control or half guard, which is obviously even better for him. So is there another downside to this that I'm missing, or has it just not caught on yet for some reason?

A lot of fighters do...

Rory against Che Mills springs to mind recently.

Also, some fighters are good at using that space to stand up. Bendo probably felt comfortable that Diaz would be content to chase submissions and sweeps off of his back, opposed to trying to stand.

SilvaOkami.gif

A lot of fighters do...

Also, some fighters are good at using that space to stand up. Bendo probably felt comfortable that Diaz would be content to chase submissions and sweeps off of his back, opposed to trying to stand.

Bendo does it to everyone he fights, not just a guy who likes to lay on his back

I don't think he minds having to scramble if they try to get up, he's very good in the scambles

They don't want to lose position most of the time

It takes a lot of physical strength to posture up all the way to standing from full guard when your opponent is hanging onto you. Plus you need to do it very quickly or your opponent will be able to get up to his feet.

Like others have said, too much strength and the fear of losing position/subs and sweeps. Also, there are those who can generate power while still in the guard (Jorgensen's KO of Stone comes to mind).

A lot of fighters do...

I know that there are other guys that do it even if not many names are coming to mind right now, but I can think of plenty more that just stay seated instead, like Chael, Ellenberger, Pierce, Koscheck and plenty more. I'm not saying so much that Bendo is the only guy that does it, just that I'm surprised it isn't more common than it currently is.

And Bendo does it to everybody, not just Diaz. I recall him doing it to Cerrone, Miller and Bocek as well. Probably Guida too but less certain about that one. I think he has some of the best GnP, too, so it really seems to benefit his game.

Haha and Anderson was mad that okami couldn't continue
Okami felt for many years that he dishonored the warrior code by pretending to be seriously hurt, he paid back what he owed by not even trying too win the next time they fought :cool:

It takes a lot of physical strength to posture up all the way to standing from full guard when your opponent is hanging onto you. Plus you need to do it very quickly or your opponent will be able to get up to his feet.

I'm far from the strongest guy around and I rarely have trouble getting to my feet. Even if you can't get all the way postured up I find it's easier just to break open the guard and pass if you're on your feet instead of your knees. Once again, this is with a gi, though, and obviously MMA has a lot of other factors to make it different such as people actively trying to get back up from their back etc.

This.

They don't want to posture up because it is easier to create space and get it back to the feet.

This seems to make sense, but at the same time if you're fast then you can just as easily use that space as your own opening to get in to half guard or side control. There's obviously an element of risk to it, but there's a far greater risk of getting submitted if you hang out on your knees, so it balances out in a way depending on what the fighter's game is.

more power in their gnp. good wrestlers like bendo are comfortable standing in guard since they are good at scrambling and when they lose position they can get it back. most people on there back will use that space to get back to their feet but lots of jitz guys feel more comfortable on their back then getting up into scrambling/wrestling positions.

he also uses the scrambles to try to take their back and sink in his hooks or scramble and try for a guillotine

Because they unload big shots that, if they miss, have them in a spot where they have to regain control. It's better for passing by lifting the legs though, more power and you jump/drop down to the side. It's good for wrestlers because it's more strength and balance based both by lifting those legs and not being swept because of a (generally) stronger base.

Diego and Bendo are also confident sub grapplers. It's gonna take a lot to sub them. Same goes for Fitch.

something about legs and NFL running backs or something.

You can get swept if your opponent is decent off his back

It takes a lot of core/leg strength to stand-up from there without having your posture broken some how and Bendo has much of this. So he does it well because he can.

upkick to the face potential risk.

Back