• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do Sherdoggers glorify basketball players as great athletes?

I mean I'm sure some of them are great athletes (like some athletes in any sport) but why do many people seem to view all or most NBA players as super impressive "A-level" athletes? I've never found them very impressive as a group, strength isn't a high priority in basketball nor is durability and a lot of them have really fragile seeming builds (like the ones who are 6'6 200 lbs or a similar height/weight ratio, a girl who is 6'6 is still likely to be more than 200 lbs lol). Many of them are just tall and not imposing in any other way, some can't even bench their own weight which is crazy for a male athlete. Oh I guess they can run fairly fast and jump which is supposed to be impressive for "big" men but running and jumping is easier when you're a 200 lb toothpick at 6'6.

Rugby players are more impressive than NBA players, they're at least proven not to be frail and engage in a lot of manly physical contact.
200 pounds at 6'6" is actually a quite healthy FFMI. You're confusing fat with muscle.

Bang up against a 6'10 280 lbs power forward for 40 minutes and tell me strength isn't important, moron.

52.7% free throw percentage is pathetic. It requires skill and talent which Shaq always lacked. Dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dink..... weak.

You obviously don't even play basketball at all. Shaq has a lot of skill, his footwork was amazing.

Check this clip out, thats a 7'1 man, 300+ lb, running a dam fast break, no skill huh?

mnGk5DH.gif

He don't know what he talking about Shaq was one of the best post players ever.
I like how he doesn't bounce or anything at the end, just lands in instant staredown position.

200 pounds at 6'6" is actually a quite healthy FFMI. You're confusing fat with muscle.
It may be "healthy" for a non-athlete but it seems quite a low amount of muscle for a male athlete.

Westbrook would do well in mma, insane athlete with a fighter mentality.

While your at it, play an 82 game regular season, half of which is on the road and tell me that doesn't represent durability, moron.

most sherdoggers are ignorant americans that believe everything they are told by the television. the truth is that the nfl is americas #1 sport and pro football players are the equivalent of other countries a level athletes. nba players are the equivalent of other niche sports like rugby or hockey.

nfl is is americas equivalent to other countries soccer players. the very best athletes.

It is actually by design. Basketball requires a variety of athletic abilities combined to be effective, unlike a lot of other sports that only requires you to be elite in 2 or 3 skills.

Basketball players are like the jack of all trades in terms of athletic abilities, they need to jump high like high jumpers, they need to sprint, they need the endurance, they need agility and body control to do moves while in the air, they need hand eye coordination and accuracy for jump shots and dribbling, they need strengths for post ups, rebounds and defense, they need reaction time to go for steals and block shots etc. On top of all that they need to be taller than the majority of the population

I think NFL players are freaks too, but they kinda specialize depending on their role, but sometimes they don't need to fine tune things if they are just a defensive line backer.

Couldnt shoot a free throw to save his life.

Cause his hands are so big bball looks like a tennis ball in his hands...

That man was an animal in his prime.

He's over 7 foot, was around 350 (apparently around 10% bf) n was moving on the court like players half his size. He made players his size (if there were any) look like stiffs (those same NBA "stiffs" would make your UFC big men look like a stiffs).

He was simply too big, too strong, too quick, too good for his peers.

His only drawback was he couldn't shoot, but as I mention before his hands were simply too big to palm a bball.

He also simply didn't need to be a good shooter cause he could simply dunk over his defenders all day n had one of the most efficient field goal % in the history of the league for a volume scorer.

The only other player to be on his level in the history of the league (n as an athlete) is wilt chamberlain

most sherdoggers are ignorant americans that believe everything they are told by the television. the truth is that the nfl is americas "big" sport and pro football players are the equivalent of other countries a level athletes. nba players are the equivalent of other niche sports like rugby. nfl is other countries soccer players. the very best athletes.

Soccer players being the best atheltes, man, go check some nfl combine. Every time I watch soccer it doesn't yell out athletes to me, sorry to break it you you. They have very good stamina, that's it.

Like Barkley said, basketball players don't know how to fight.

You obviously don't even play basketball at all. Shaq has a lot of skill, his footwork was amazing.

Check this clip out, thats a 7'1 man, 300+ lb, running a dam fast break, no skill huh?

This guy should try shooting free throws with a softball, which is what a basketball is like is Shaqs hands, it's hard as hell.

Soccer players being the best atheltes, man, go check some nfl combine. Every time I watch soccer it doesn't yell out athletes to me, sorry to break it you you. They have very good stamina, that's it.

the combine is basically just exercises. being the best at exercising doesnt really mean shit. billions of people want to be the best soccer player in the world. a few million people give a shit about the nba and a few hundred million about the nfl.

Shaq was dominant because of his size, not skill or talent.... you could throw hockey gear on him, put him in net and he'd stop pucks because he's 7ft tall and 350lbs with no net to shoot at, he would just stand there with no ability to shoot or skate.

52.7% free throw percentage is pathetic. It requires skill and talent which Shaq always lacked. Dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dunk dink..... weak.
Are you serious right now? Shaq had tremendous skills. This can't be serious. He's one of the most skilled big men to ever play basketball, and much of that can be attributed to his great athleticism. He was a horrible free throw shooter though, yes.

Cause his hands are so big bball looks like a tennis ball in his hands...

That man was an animal in his prime.

He's over 7 foot, was around 350 (apparently around 10% bf) n was moving on the court like players half his size. He made players his size (if there were any) look like stiffs (those same NBA "stiffs" would make your UFC big men look like a stiffs).

He was simply too big, too strong, too quick, too good for his peers.

His only drawback was he couldn't shoot, but as I mention before his hands were simply too big to palm a bball.

He also simply didn't need to be a good shooter cause he could simply dunk over his defenders all day n had one of the most efficient field goal % in the history of the league for a volume scorer.

The only other player to be on his level in the history of the league (n as an athlete) is wilt chamberlain
you know you are a boss when the sport has to change rules to stop you dominating lol

Back