• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do people fly the confederate flag other than to show people they are racist?

Being on the opposite end of neo-confederate is a GOOD THING. lol@you pretending like his position that enslaving human being was really bad is extremism.
My point is, if I'm wrong, show me something other than personal opinions.

My point is more valid because it is born out of research, facts, and analysis on a very broad scale. I didn't just "spend a year" as a wanna-be history buff and suddenly believe my opinions are as valid as somebody who is literally in the community that produces knowledge and research about the topic.

If you want me to be frank, I AM a source.

I've cited two sources already, which you said were about the American Revolution. False. The Hartman book is about the 19th century. The Horne book is about the origins of slavery in the U.S. I don't think anybody can understand the civil war without reading a book like Horne's.
I will look into those.

Great. Than instead of hurling insults, enlighten me.

You may call me a neoConfederate or whatever, but you are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

I believe you are a very educated guy, and I really do respect that. But, just as you accuse me of being brainwashed or impartial, you are the exact same way just on the opposite side, so you are going to find sources that will, of course agree with your view.

Of the things I've mentioned concerning the North's actions during that era, how much of that do you agree or disagree with?

Is our only disagreement slave treatment?

I never called you a Neoconfederate.

No I didn't find sources that agreed with my view. That's not how research operates. I came to my views from thousands of hours of research. In order to get to the level of experience I have, you are constantly tested as not only to the credibility of your sources, but you are tested on your mastery of the overall body of knowledge.

When you take doctoral exams, you are grilled by your committee on this knowledge, and forced to examine and analyze opposing viewpoints and bodies of knowledge that may contradict your argument.

The "finding sources that agree with your view" is what novices and the uneducated do.

It's just like people say I am biased as a Marxist. Yeah, and why did I become a Marxist? Isn't it funny that the person whose done the most thorough research and study on political economic and history
happens to be a Marxist? And yet, people will more respect the opinions of those who have listened to 1 episode of some right wing talk show, or who have watched a few youtube videos. I find it hilarious.

They are doing to show the world that they are both racist and losers too :D

giphy.webp

reverse-1249634451_vandamme_cant_see.gif

Almost everything You've been saying in this thread is an either distorted or flat out wrong.

I have approximately 20 years as a researcher of 19th Century Antebellum history, including primary document research, and I don't even know where to start with you. It's painful. It's like a dentist seeing a patient's teeth for the first time and knowing they are all rotted.

I don't have the time for all that at the moment, especially because your views are so far off and so obviously that of somebody with little or no research experience. I can't go to each of your posts and take them apart, when you first have to study historiography itself. In order words, you have to study how knowledge is actually cultivated and produced. For you to come on here and quote that book as a credible source is frankly ridiculous. First learn how to assess sources. Google historiography and look for some good books on the topic. You have to build your foundations as a thinker on this particular topic.

I'm sure you're an intelligent guy in many areas, but you can't just jump into a topic like this, one in which people have done decades and even centuries of study. And even worse, you are influencing others who do not have the time or inclination to do the research to realize how wrong you are.

I think ‘Captain Davis’ has put forth some very good points and arguments. The American Civil War is his hobby and passion. He won a Civil War debate we had here on Sherdog a while back. He is able to back up all his points and arguments.

You on the other hand claim to have 20 years as a researcher of 19th Century Antebellum history. So, for you to say that what ‘Davis’ is posting is distorted or wrong makes absolutely no sense. You should be in agreement with each other on basic historical fact of the period or one of you is clearly lying. I know ‘Davis’ is not that guy. Funny how you don’t have the time to go back and re-read what he posted. Isn’t that what researchers do? Also, you are very insulting when arguing your points which reflects ignorance for someone who claims to have 20 years of experience. Does not seem like you learned much on those 20 years. Do you have a Ph.D. in American History or is it all just 20 years of reading books? “You have to study how knowledge is actually cultivated and produced.” What exactly does that mean? What does it have to do with the topic. “First, learn how to assess sources.” Do you really think you are the only one on this thread that knows how to access sources? It is like a mother talking to a child. “…you are influencing others who do not have the time or inclination to do the research to realize how wrong you are.” How is that possible? How would someone know someone else is wrong without knowing something about a topic? All three statements are highly stupid and narcissistic. I would expect more from someone with 20 years of research experience if you in fact have that. Either way, why do you think you are right and ‘Davis’ is wrong? Anyone has a right to his/her opinion. You don’t need 20 years of experience or a Ph.D. in American History to have an opinion about a topic. Everything you are accusing ‘Davis’ of doing, you are doing yourself. No real intellectual writes what you wrote. You come across as a complete ‘fake’.

@Captain Davis

Last edited:
Back