Why do people act like guys who have never been champs are MMA legends?

Who would you consider a legend that has never won a title from a major organization (PRIDE, UFC, WEC)?

Stephan Bonnar?
Kenny Florian?
Diego Sanchez?

These guys are considered the second wave of pioneers for helping take the sport more mainstream through TUF 1, but I'm not sure they are seen as legends in most fans eyes. They are probably the closest to it though.

Jon Fitch?
Joseph Benavidez?
Joe Lauzon?
Jim Miller?
Nate Diaz?

Not in my book.

The closest thing we had to a non-champion legend in my opinion was Bisping, but he secured his legend status by beating Rockhold and "defending" against Hendo.

Do you mean Ken Wayne Shamrock Shamrock?

It's because the sport is so young and there are lots of guys who everybody knows. Almost anybody who's been around for a while could be considered a legend because they've been in lots of fights and people remember them. It's gonna take a long time before the true legends shine

This is a silly thread when the TS clearly hasnt named any names that we can confirm or refute if they were a legend or not.

Makes a thread like this without mentioning names
Get's asked about some names
Chickens out of his own thread

Good job TS.

Because the belts don't mean shit.

If an organisation doesn't want a fighter to be champ they can prevent a fighter from being champ.

My wife used to be a legend,Then she married me and changed her surname to my name

Renzo won the World Combat Championship tournament
But do people call Renzo a legend? He was a good fighter and a pioneer, but his brother did a lot more of the heavy lifting in the early years.

I certainly do give props for Renzo fighting a Judo fighter. Since every week there is a new "Gracies knew they would get wrecked by any judo fighter" thread.

Fighting is an emotional sport, people want to say something emotional when they are referring to someone.

Its not correct, but I kinda understand it. But you are right, most people should be called veteran, stand out, favourite etc. I think legend allows a person to express their fondness for someone without technically mentioning their lack of championships!

But do people call Renzo a legend? He was a good fighter and a pioneer, but his brother did a lot more of the heavy lifting in the early years.

I certainly do give props for Renzo fighting a Judo fighter. Since every week there is a new "Gracies knew they would get wrecked by any judo fighter" thread.
yeah, I don't get that Gracies and Judo BS.

Royce fought and beat Remco Pardoel who had legit Judo champion credentials.

Rickson fought and beat Yoshinori Nishi, top student of Masahiko Kimura (judoka who defeated Helio Gracie) so that argument's got no teeth.

Renzo is a legend more outside of the UFC though. He beat UFC champs in Oleg Taktarov, Maurice Smith, Frank Shamrock (yeah, it was a DQ, but F. Sham wasn't able to do anything to Renzo) and Pat Miletich and had some amazing fights with other legends like Sakuraba and BJ Penn.

TS name one non-champ who's considered a legend by most experts

Saku's the only one I can think of off the top of my head and even he technically won a UFC tourny

Never "champ"

20091027125818_2009102502042.JPG

Tell me this guy is not a legend. I dare you.

824495e7c297da76b0528a47f3cea6fe93cb78035b4fe44fb2458bff379502be.jpg

UFC Japan Tournament winner

Although not technically, Saku was the Champ/GOAT once he beat Royce....... they just didn't have a belt at all back then.

There are only 3 legends in MMA:

Conor McGregor
Dana White
Bruce Lee

Brad Pickett was one that was blowing my mind. They kept on calling him a legend during his last fight

Back