Why do MMA fighters feel the need to have sobriquets?

Are you referring to sobriquets as in nicknames given by others? Or are you talking about nicknames in general?

Sobriquets assigned by others are ones where the fighters don't really have a say in them.

As for fighters taking nicknames, they usually use them to help distinguish themselves from the pack, IE to make themselves more memorable.

Sobriquets like "The Notorious", "The spider", "Money", "The all American" etc... They're fcking stupid.

Last edited:
wot the hell is a sobriquets?

"Hey ma I just learned this new word. I'm going to go create an account on Sherdog and make a thread about it!"

"Hey ma I just learned this new word. I'm going to go create an account on Sherdog and make a thread about it!"

I know for a fact this thread was made simply so he could say the word 'sobriquets' and feel smart when people reply with 'what?'

All fighters should have them available. The best way to apply pressure and slow the bleeding if an injury occurs. You'd want one too if you were a fighter.

Why does every thread have to turn into an accusation of grandiloquence because you don't know a word?

Using the word "sobriquets" here is a pretty good indication that the OP is, in fact, of low intelligence.

Back