• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do BJJ gyms advertise "self defense programs" for women?

I remember me and another guy telling a new female student (I don't know if she stayed on or left) that if she stuck around for at least a couple of years training BJJ 2-3 times a week she will understand basic jiu jitsu and able to apply it in a self defense situation against an untrained or low level opponent pretty easily if she ever had to use it. But yes, this 2 week training, who knows what, might not be that helpful, but 2 years will. Plus training 2 years goes by fast too.

Self Defense > karate > Martial arts > boxing > Kick boxing > MMA > Jiu-jitsu

This is in order of understanding from a regular Joe woman.. Most regular woman have no idea what most of these signify if anything they all mean the same thing.
the further down the line the more they are inclined to stick with it or join. so you have to start out with advertising something that is on that persons level. Self defense is widely identified more than mma and jiujitsu.

Lots of misogynists here, women with proper training can beat men.

Last edited:
I used to think similarly to most of you in this thread. But then I took my wife to a Gracie women's seminar when we visited LA and I feel like it was very beneficial and opened up my mind

They didn't go over much bjj, instead they spoke about the mindset of a woman and how to de-escalate a situation before it even starts.

For instance, imagine you're a female getting gas at 1am. A man is approaching you. Most people would pretend to act normal even though they might be feeling nervous. Their kindness will be their detriment.

Instead, what they suggested was to stop the man before he got too close for comfort and to clearly communicate to the man that you are not comfortable with him approaching you. If his intentions were innocent and just wanted to ask what time it was, he would stop and walk elsewhere. However if this guy were to be an attacker, he would keep coming forward. That let's the woman know his intentions are no good and that it's time to be ready.

But, like I said earlier, most people, out of kindness would pretend that a man approaching them is innocent and by the time an attack happens, it's too late.

As a man, I overlook these things very easily and thought the Gracies did an excellent job. And I definitely think a woman who knows some bjj can at least escape an attacker who does not know any martial arts.

de-escalate a situation before it even starts... clearly communicate... it's time to be ready...

See, this kind of stuff is what "self defense" training should really consist of. Combat sports are great for a whole host of reasons, but the best way to not end up a victim of violence is to remove yourself from and prevent situations where it arises. (Yes, obviously not something that can be done with total reliability.) Situational awareness, deescalation, picking your friends and travel habits mindfully, and solid door frames with a serious deadbolt will help most people far more than any amount of BJJ.

I used to think similarly to most of you in this thread. But then I took my wife to a Gracie women's seminar when we visited LA and I feel like it was very beneficial and opened up my mind

They didn't go over much bjj, instead they spoke about the mindset of a woman and how to de-escalate a situation before it even starts.

For instance, imagine you're a female getting gas at 1am. A man is approaching you. Most people would pretend to act normal even though they might be feeling nervous. Their kindness will be their detriment.

Instead, what they suggested was to stop the man before he got too close for comfort and to clearly communicate to the man that you are not comfortable with him approaching you. If his intentions were innocent and just wanted to ask what time it was, he would stop and walk elsewhere. However if this guy were to be an attacker, he would keep coming forward. That let's the woman know his intentions are no good and that it's time to be ready.

But, like I said earlier, most people, out of kindness would pretend that a man approaching them is innocent and by the time an attack happens, it's too late.

As a man, I overlook these things very easily and thought the Gracies did an excellent job. And I definitely think a woman who knows some bjj can at least escape an attacker who does not know any martial arts.
Yeah self defense is not just mma like most people think. It really is a mindset thing too. Awareness that we all take for granted. Not putting yourself in certain situations. Ive taught self defense classes and have been asked how to defend against multiple attackers. Yes, there are ways to deal with it that may minimally save your ass(chances are you are toast), but the important thing is don't put yourself in that situation where multiple attackers WANT to beat your ass. Or let yourself get surrounded in the first place. Like Kurt Osiander says, "you fucked up A LONG time ago!"

See, this kind of stuff is what "self defense" training should really consist of. Combat sports are great for a whole host of reasons, but the best way to not end up a victim of violence is to remove yourself from and prevent situations where it arises. (Yes, obviously not something that can be done with total reliability.) Situational awareness, deescalation, picking your friends and travel habits mindfully, and solid door frames with a serious deadbolt will help most people far more than any amount of BJJ.
This. And the whole idea of "self defense" as its currently taught by most self defense instructors, ignores a lot of this psychological stuff and focuses more on physical techniques or wrist grab release type stuff. If someone knows bjj/wrestling and some striking, or mma for a few years and is in shape(this is important too, staying in shape) they can handle most one on one attacks without weapons. BUT.....most street encounters don't involve a one on one fair fight. Usually , alcohol is involved, in a bar/night club setting and multiple attackers are involved and/or weapons. Not a good look. Don't put yourself there in the first place.

The female black belt at our gym regularly kicked 99% of the guys at our gyms butts. She often got in fights outside the gym and I doubt she lost there either. Bjj teaches some good techniques that could come in handy in a bind where an assailant doesn’t have a weapon. The male superiority on here is real.

Self defense in bjj could be be a hit hit miss. I would say it could be a by product of sport bjj. You know...we train .for bjj sport rules under resistance and hope you acquire skills against street aggressiveness.

I think gjj has a self defense program.

If people are interested.

Would I bother trying to convince student that I can offer a self defense program .....no way..lol.. too many factors .To consider...to teach bjj in sports rules is already hard enough

Back