Why do BJJ blackbelts dominate ADCC?

TommyHearns

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is no-gi and with leglocks allowed, BJJ has a gi and does not use leglocks! How come BJJ guys dominate?

Are there no world-class no-gi submission wrestling camps in the world?

bjj uses leglocks but not so much at the beginner level. And many school train as much with the gi as with no-gi.

BJJ is pretty big and established so it has an advantage as it. Also the event was created by a sheiks son after he trained BJJ in the states, so the rules and setup favor BJJ players.

bjj guys train no gi, they also train leglocks, and adcc is basically no gi jiu jitu but the point system is a little different. wrestlers and judoka have done well too.

TommyHearns said:
BJJ has a gi and does not use leglocks!

Who told you BJJ is only w/ a gi and doesn't use leglocks???

C'mon...spit out names pal...SPIT THEM OUT!!!

Rip Van Winkle said:
Who told you BJJ is only w/ a gi and doesn't use leglocks???

C'mon...spit out names pal...SPIT THEM OUT!!!
Well sport BJJ is just that isn't it?

scorcho said:
BJJ is pretty big and established so it has an advantage as it. Also the event was created by a sheiks son after he trained BJJ in the states, so the rules and setup favor BJJ players.
It was set up by His Highness the Sheik Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nayan (say 10 times fast) who is the son of the president of the United Arab Emerits. He did BJJ first then expanded in to other Martial arts (Hes curently a Black Belt BJJ, and conciderd an expert in Sambo, Frystyle Wrestling and Muay Thai). The rules realy dont favor BJJ though. They create a more level playing feald for the grapaling arts only 2 points for guard passing and knee on belly insted of three as well as scorin for half guard passes (1point) and side controle (2points) (although no auto finishes for throws that land your opponent flat with his sholders at your feet and pins, just so Judo and wreseling dont get an advantage either).

ARIS said:
bjj uses leglocks but not so much at the beginner level. And many school train as much with the gi as with no-gi.
True just look at Eddie Bravo

TommyHearns said:
Well sport BJJ is just that isn't it?
What are you talking about? Even in white-belt BJJ toe-holds, ankle locks and knee bars are allowed, only heel hooks are dis-allowed- but they are legal at higher levels. Who told you this? You have been lied to.

Dedicado said:
What are you talking about? Even in white-belt BJJ toe-holds, ankle locks and knee bars are allowed, only heel hooks are dis-allowed- but they are legal at higher levels. Who told you this? You have been lied to.

not sure what white belt bjj tournaments youre going to...

in the states at least knee bars arent allowed to a purple belt level, sometimes brown... ive only seen toe holds allowed at brown and above.

hamoom said:
not sure what white belt bjj tournaments youre going to...

in the states at least knee bars arent allowed to a purple belt level, sometimes brown... ive only seen toe holds allowed at brown and above.
I go to the Tiger Balm internationals, in Vancouver, Canada. The head judge is Professor Marcus Soares, 4th Dan, Carlson Gracie team.
The only subs not allowed are anything that twists the knee, a straight knee bar is allowed under these rules.

Toe holds at Brown? Wow! That is weird, eh? I am a Judo player, so I shocked the hell outta this Machado JJ guy when I broke his arm-bar and slapped on a toe-hold, Marcus Soares just looked down at us and smiled. I think he really likes foot-locks, his nick name in Brazil was " Bicho-de-pe " (some kind of Amazonian jungle insect that attacks your feet and pwns them).
Come up to Canada dude, we have alot fewer laws up here!

Yeah look at those rules. Also, you have avoided my point on no-gi. Sport BJJ doesn't use gi.

No scissors take-down? That's unreal, I saw, in 2004, a Blue belt take down a guy with a scissors, he just ran up and did it, buddy never had a chance, it was awesome!

But I don't want to hijack this thread so umm.. BJJ players aren't the only ones who dominate ADCC, Wrestlers have done well too, it's just that a good BJJ player can submit a guy, this gives him an advantage, cuz he goes for the kill. Jean Jaques Machado once was quoted as saying, " I go for the submission every single time..if I can't submit him then I deserve to lose (by points)."

With this kinda attitude, it's no wonder BJJ has done so well in ADCC.

Dedicado said:

Achiles lock is aloud by blue..
No knee bars, no toe holds, no heel hooks till purple.

scorcho said:
Also the event was created by a sheiks son after he trained BJJ in the states, so the rules and setup favor BJJ players.

I hate it when people think that the ADCC rules favor BJJ players. How do they favor BJJ players? You can't answer this question can you?

well alot of white and blue belts train with all the leglocks.. they just dont compete with them. maybe that clarifies things a little better.

Back