Why do beverages taste better in glass bottles?

RSmith47

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is random but is it a mental thing because glass bottles are just nicer than plastic or aluminum or is there some other reason behind it?

I've tried the classic Pepsi in a can that's made with real sugar and it was gross. Had that nasty Pepsi aftertaste to it that keeps me away from ever drinking it. Then not too long ago my girlfriend found some mexican Pepsi in glass bottles at a store and bought a couple of them for dinner. It was actually delicious and had none of the aftertaste.

Beer is the same way for me. I can't think of a single beer that's better in a can.

Water always tastes better in a glass than a plastic cup.

The only drink I can think of that's better in a can is Mountain Dew...but then again I've never had it in a glass bottle so I can only compare it to a plastic bottle.

It seems like glass bottles keep beverages cooler and less harsh than their aluminum and plastic counterparts. I'd also say that almost everything tastes better in an aluminum can than it does in a plastic bottle as well.

I usually pour my beer into a glass from a can or a bottle if I have the option. For the purpose of public drinking, a can is easier to disguise, and the difference in taste from a bottle is really quite negligible in my opinion.

I've also wondered this. Coke from a glass bottle is far superior to coke from a can/plastic bottle/fountain IMO.

Glass is the most chemically inert material that drinks are served in. Plastic bottles are oxygen permeable and there is a certain amount of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) degradation that occurs during the bottling process both of which affect the taste.

Cans are lined with polymers that actually absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from soda.

I always enjoy a nice warm glass of shutthehellup.

I challenge the thesis.

I prefer glasses for beer and wine (lol).

Please note: the glasses must be correct for that specific kind of beer/wine.

Good question. I prefer everything out of a glass bottle.

I was gonna say because the glass bottle makes it seem more expensive but then you said it was Mexican Pepsi so that killed that theory

I've never noticed anything like that. I'll probably start noticing now.

I was gonna say because the glass bottle makes it seem more expensive but then you said it was Mexican Pepsi so that killed that theory
notsursrs_zps3bd6c133.gif

From my understanding it's the aluminum at the opening of the can that distorts the flavor. The lining inside the can protects it from that but putting your mouth on the opening changes the flavor.

It doesn’t. That’s what Coca-Cola’s spokespeople say, anyway. “The great taste of Coca-Cola is the same regardless of the package it comes in,” they insist. Rather, they say, “the particular way that people choose to enjoy their Coke can affect their perception of taste.” Sure, most people would agree that the cola is indeed delicious and refreshing, and pouring it into a glass or serving it over ice could influence the sensation of its flavor. But is it possible that the subtle variation in taste that some notice among aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass bottles is more than just a psychological effect of their soda-consumption rituals?
Given that the formula is always the same, yes, according to Sara Risch, a food chemist and member of the Institute of Food Technologists. “While packaging and food companies work to prevent any interactions, they can occur,” she says. For example, the polymer that lines aluminum cans might absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from the soda. Conversely, acetaldehyde in plastic bottles might migrate into the soda. The FDA regulates this kind of potential chemical contact, but even minute, allowable amounts could alter flavor.
Your best bet for getting Coke’s pure, unaltered taste is to drink it from a glass bottle, the most inert material it’s served in. Even that’s not a sure bet, though. Coca-Cola maintains strict uniformity in processes in all of its worldwide bottling facilities, but it concedes that exposure to light and how long the product sits on store shelves may affect the taste. So yeah, the packaging might mess with Coke’s flavor, but we’ll still take it any day over New Coke.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/artic...astic-bottle-and-aluminum-can-taste-different

Glass is the most chemically inert material that drinks are served in. Plastic bottles are oxygen permeable and there is a certain amount of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) degradation that occurs during the bottling process both of which affect the taste.

Cans are lined with polymers that actually absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from soda.

Came in to say roughly the same thing, far less eloquently of course.

I'm sure the shit that lines the cans are carcinogenic too. Can't be good.

Crack...I prefer to smoke it in a glass bottle as opposed to scabbing together a can type pipe.

I would imagine Teflon would work fairly well as a serving container since it is inert as well. Although I couldn't imagine anyone going through the expense of making teflon serving containers.

cans of beers are more expensive than bottles of beers

i do enjoy beer in a glass more than from the bottle or can though

Back