Why do all superhero/comic shows go straight to bad channels?

JesusBenJoseph**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How come people like HBO/AMC never pick up shows like Arrow, SHIELD, Constantine, etc. Its always shitty channels like ABC and NBC. WTF is up with that? I can imagine how much better HBO for example could make one of these.

Because most people won't take those type of shows seriously...

And what about True Blood?

The fact that made it to HBO blew my mind, even though I think it's pretty terrible.

Disney owns Marvel and ABC so that's why Shield is on ABC. Warner Bros owns DC and the CW network is why Arrow is on CW.

Wasn't the Spawn cartoon on HBO?

Disney owns Marvel and ABC so that's why Shield is on ABC. Warner Bros owns DC and the CW network is why Arrow is on CW.

I haven't done this in a while, but I'm doing it now.

/thread.

What's a "bad channel"? Comparing NBC/ABC to HBO isn't really legit. The premium product should provide a better experience, shouldn't it?

AMC is an interesting case though, no reason their original programming has any right to be as good as it is.

Aside from Jefferz's insight, are the channels you listed free? An actual question.

Aside from Jefferz's insight, are the channels you listed free? An actual question.

Yes, those channels are generally called Network TV. they are free and available to the public, so they generally have tighter censorship controls on what they are allowed to show. More family friendly fare compared to shows like Dexter, Game of Thrones, True Blood.... which shows sex and violence suitable to rated R movies. And then you have basic cable channels like AMC and FX, which are not free, but usually included in any paid cable package. They can get away with a few more stuff, like showing ass and slightly more violence, gore and using slightly more cursing.

Wow AMC is only on the same level as FX? Pretty gay. What channels are on the HBO tier? Also Punisher would be sick on HBO :D

Wow AMC is only on the same level as FX? Pretty gay. What channels are on the HBO tier? Also Punisher would be sick on HBO :D

HBO is considered a Premium channel. Other such channels are Showtime, Cinemax and Starz.

Yes, those channels are generally called Network TV. they are free and available to the public, so they generally have tighter censorship controls on what they are allowed to show. More family friendly fare compared to shows like Dexter, Game of Thrones, True Blood.... which shows sex and violence suitable to rated R movies. And then you have basic cable channels like AMC and FX, which are not free, but usually included in any paid cable package. They can get away with a few more stuff, like showing ass and slightly more violence, gore and using slightly more cursing.

To be fair, most superhero shows probably don't require the extra latitude with regard to gore, cursing, sex, etc. that being on a specialty channel would give them. Obviously Punisher would be one of the exceptions, like Spawn, or other Vertigo or Marvel MAX type titles, but the bog standard capes-and-tights titles could probably do fine on basic cable. The Blade TV series on Spike actually got pretty decent (up until they canned it for being too expensive for them).

The problem with getting a decent creative team who takes the material seriously and is given the budget required to bring it to life is probably something no channel would be immune from.

I agree totally. There is no reason why the majority of mainstream superhero's couldn't have a quality show on network channels.

I've been saying it for a while, Punisher on HBO could be a great show.

Back