Why didn't Ricardo Arona fight in the UFC?

And why did he retire at the age of 31? Most premature retirement ever.

Anybody know why Overem tapped? He just had enough of getting grappled fucked or was it an injury?

Some of the worst standup you could ever see in high level mma. Watching him smash Wanderlei was amazing tho.

Some of the worst standup you could ever see in high level mma. Watching him smash Wanderlei was amazing tho.
He was a tough fight, but wasn't a "killer" by any strech. A LHW Jon Fitch would be a better description.

Reachin´ there,Im afraid... Deadly leg kicks, see his fight vs Wand.

In time, Arona [sadly] tended to look for position over submission (knees to the downed opponent was a must then), but he had the skills to pull some legit shits, like the kneebar vs Kanehara in Rings...

Also: he didnt get tricked by the ol´vet Kopylov in Rings, like Big Nog or Castelo Branco...
And was game vs Kerr @ ADCC, when Smashing Machine was pretty dominant...

What's the story behind him banging above average skanks? Like, is this commonly known or just a joke that likes to get thrown around?

Depends, he would have been a pretty boy version of Jon Fitch, who admitted he took home a hefty check. Or if successful enough could have been a GSP style fan-fav that always drew despite a safe fighting style.

A lot of the hate for Arona of course was that he was ultra cocky and involved in a fued with guys like Wand, Shogun and Ninja who were all fan favourites, I mean I wouldn't call him the most entertaining fighter ever but really I can't remember too many dull fights either, Mezger perhaps and 1-2 squashes he dominated easily but Hendo, Wand 1, Shogun, Reem, Rampage, etc were all good win or lose.

I think you could actually argue that Arona invented the "GSP tactic" of baiting opponents with strikes from long range then catching them with takedowns when they pushed forward to try and get inside on him. In both cases it was really the quality of their timing and speed that made them so effective dispite not having a pure wrestling background.

Wasnt he building a gym at one point? I remember it being mentioned in a "where are they now?" interview a few years ago.

I mean you'd think given his rep that some form of coaching would likely be in demand still if he wants it.
It has been a long time since my conversation with that guy but I assume he meant BTT. I am not sure what ever happened to that team since you pretty much don't hear about it anymore. On side note, he also commented about the women in Brazil.

I always liked him. I was hoping he’d come back but he just kind of abruptly retired

Grinding daily with sweaty smelly men in a gym or being a beach bum while banging the hottest tranny’s in RDJ...?

Not a hard choice...lol
{<jordan}

I think the main reason why he didn’t fight in the ufc is because he didn’t have a ufc contract. Could be wrong though.

I think the main reason why he didn’t fight in the ufc is because he didn’t have a ufc contract. Could be wrong though.
He said he had serious naggin´injuries that prevented his comeback then.

Back