Why did they match up Dominick Reyes with Weidman?

Weidman is on a terrible skid at 185, he fought murderers and got killed multiple times. He is desperate to push his career forward, so he goes to 205. That's ok, but why are they matching him up with Reyes. Reyes has already beaten Volkan, Canon and OSP. Our boy will probably get killed one more time. Should have they chosen an easier match up for our boi? Look what happened to Luke.
Also Reyes is #3 guy in the division and Weirdman is not ranked. This is a step down for Reyes, he should be fighting Agent Smith.
This fight doesn't seem well planed.
Weidman is still a name, so he wins and challenges a top guy, or Reyes gets a name on his record

chris is a name that will put reyes over so its not Jon jones vs "some random can" in the fans eyes

Weidman is on a terrible skid at 185, he fought murderers and got killed multiple times. He is desperate to push his career forward, so he goes to 205. That's ok, but why are they matching him up with Reyes. Reyes has already beaten Volkan, Canon and OSP. Our boy will probably get killed one more time. Should have they chosen an easier match up for our boi? Look what happened to Luke.
Also Reyes is #3 guy in the division and Weirdman is not ranked. This is a step down for Reyes, he should be fighting Agent Smith.
Most say that he really lost that fight against Volkan. He was lucky on that occasion.

It would be a "Big Name" for Reyes and also they are probably saying to Weidman let's see what you got.

It's simple: MMA is an entertainment product first, and a sport a distant second. As a fighter in the UFC, you're gonna prefer taking a fight with a guy who draws more attention to the event rather than necessarily fighting the random guy who "deserves" it the most. If he beats Weidman he has a recognizable win on his record which stands out more than beating someone like Anthony Smith.

Jacare, Romero, Rockhold and Moose all told Reyes how much fun it is to beat the shit out of him so he thought he's find out for himself

I hate to say it and I don't mean to be a hypocrite 'cause I did root for Weidman on so many occasions but in hindsight he was kinda lucky to get those three title defenses in at mw before that wave of new killers finally caught up with him and beat him multiple times. In a day and age where 3 solid defenses is smiled upon, Chris would not have got them had he fought the Romeros and all those guys who showed up after Silva so in that regard I am glad he did have some minor success and happiness for a while at mw because he is fighting for his job like Vick was now.

If Chris wins then he gets a TS. If he loses, it'll probably be in dramatic fashion where he gets brutally KOed. Great risk, great reward and I love it!

Because this fight is a win-win for everyone: Weidman, Reyes, and the UFC.

Weidman isn't young and every fight at LHW is risky for him anyway, and with him being a former champ it doesn't really make much sense to climb the ladder the way like Smith or Thiago did. Moreover Reyes is a striker with very questionable TDD (IIRC even Volkan took him down in their fight), so he is probably the highest ranking guy Weidman has a reasonable chance at beating.

Reyes needs to solidify his #1 contender spot and Weidman, at this point of his career, is definitely a less risky fight than the other top ranked LHWs.

The UFC will benefit no matter the outcome of the fight. If Reyes wins, they'll have made a bigger star out of him, and if Weidman wins, they'll have rejuvenated a former household name and possibly set up a title fight with Jones.

Its LHW:

source.gif

And Weidman only became known becase he is the guy to dethrone Anderson.
Yeah true. But unless they wanna do Jones vs Ngannou or Stipe they should be interested in having a fight scheduled, right?
Rn all the Winners of Weidman vs Reyes, Walker vs Corey, Jan vs Jacare and Rakic vs Volkan (maybe even Smith vs Rockhold if they do it) and Santos could make a somewhat solid claim for a shot. But noone would be the absolute no1 contender.
Thats weird bc the UFC could have just as well booked Reyes vs Jan and the winner would be the clear challenger.
Maybe they are trying to buy time for Jones to go up to HW?

Yeah true. But unless they wanna do Jones vs Ngannou or Stipe they should be interested in having a fight scheduled, right?
Rn all the Winners of Weidman vs Reyes, Walker vs Corey, Jan vs Jacare and Rakic vs Volkan (maybe even Smith vs Rockhold if they do it) and Santos could make a somewhat solid claim for a shot. But noone would be the absolute no1 contender.
Thats weird bc the UFC could have just as well booked Reyes vs Jan and the winner would be the clear challenger.
Maybe they are trying to buy time for Jones to go up to HW?

Theorethically both Reyes and Blachowicz should be one win away from the TS. We'll need to see how those fights go and re-assess.

I don't actually think Reyes is that good. Canonnier fight looks great in hindsight but I was very unimpressed was with him against OSP and Volkann. His cardio seems poor. Weidman cardio is not great either but maybe the move to 205 will help that.

Theorethically both Reyes and Blachowicz should be one win away from the TS. We'll need to see how those fights go and re-assess.
Yeah but you can also argue that a win over Weidman and Jacare who both come off loses at MW doesnt guarantee a TS in any sense.

Most say that he really lost that fight against Volkan. He was lucky on that occasion.
Because most were manipulated by the terribly bias announcing. Reyes out-struck him in rounds 2 & 3 but nobody noticed because Hardy ignored every single strike so he could talk about cheese graters for the entire & his time as a fighter.

Because :

Weidman, twice > Anderson Silva > Chael Sonnen (twice)

Well Weidman destroyed AS twice who just went against Adesanya and put up a fight. So.....Weidman. Hope he wins and won't be surprised if he does. Chris has a large frame and might surprise us again.

Cause the UFC is desperate for opponents against Jones, and they probably see Reyes as more sellable than Walker, Jan or Corey Anderson. TBH Reyes reminds me of Zabit, highly skillful but the combination of pillow fists with meh cardio makes me question how he's going to win a 5 round fight against a competent opponent. I would not be surprised to see him lose against Weidman.
Reyes can crack unlike Zabit.

Its criminal that Weidman is booked with a top 5 ranked guy in the division above him.

He's been KO'd in four of his last five fights.

It's flat out stupid and dangerous to book this fight, and it shouldn't get sanctioned. Weidman may very well be the most mismanaged fighter in the history of modern MMA.

Back