• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why did Pettis vs Mcgregor never happen?

rustledjimjams

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
honest question. besides the fact they were on different trajectories when mcgregor entered the ufc. there were still plenty of chances to book this fight for long after. why did they never chose to do this?

honest question. besides the fact they were on different trajectories when mcgregor entered the ufc. there were still plenty of chances to book this fight for long after. why did they never chose to do this?
Pettis was a LW and Conor was a FW.

When Conor got his LW title shot, the belt was twice removed from Pettis. That was his first LW fight.

Conor then fought once more (again for the LW title) in the next 40 months.

Conor was still in featherweight at the time and it wasn’t Conor Mania yet I believe

Because Pettis lost to Dos Anjos.

Had Pettis never lost/took that beating from RDA, I think he would’ve beat McGregor.

Because it shouldnt. The Pettis vs the FW champ fight that should have happened (and almost did) was the Aldo one.

Would have been a banger for sure.

Had Pettis never lost/took that beating from RDA, I think he would’ve beat McGregor.
No Pettis always had a weakness to higher level boxing with pressure. Prime Conor would freeze up Pettis and have him on the backfoot and eventually find a finish.

cause conor was about top level stuff. notice how he was fighting for belts or big events vs nate and dustin instead.

Different trajectories & UFC/Conor brand had nothing to gain and everything to lose by fighting Pettis when it could have been booked.

If Conor fought Pettis be would've gotten the showtime kick and this Conor hype bullshit wouldn't have happened and his fans wouldn't be bragging about his bank account.

Back