WHY did Kevin Lee tap and then complain?

Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva.

Chael tapped and didn't remember. When you're being squeezed in to unconsciousness and being deprived of oxygen. It's going to mess with your perception.

I assume the same thing happened with Kevin Lee. It's not that uncommon of an occurrence. We see it with TKO's too.

He went out for a moment and tapped instinctually but it was so brief he didn’t realize it happened. I’ve seen something similar before.

He CLEARLY tapped.

And then complained...

Afterward he got flack from many MMA fighters and fans...

...but WHY did he tap and say he didn't?

What do you think was going through his mind?

Did he begin to lose consciousness...thus his confusion?

Or do you think that he was just being an asshole?

I still don't get it.

He didn't remember the tap cause he was losing conciousness when he tapped. Isn't that fucking obvious. Give the guy some slack.

Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva.

Chael tapped and didn't remember. When you're being squeezed in to unconsciousness and being deprived of oxygen. It's going to mess with your perception.

I assume the same thing happened with Kevin Lee. It's not that uncommon of an occurrence. We see it with TKO's too.
The difference is that Chael has a history of this. Including non-choking incidents, like armbars.

The first time Chael tapped to an armbar then claimed he didn't tap, maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt. The 2nd or 3rd time, not so much. And then when it happens with a choke...naw, at that point he'd already lost his credibility.

So although it have been perfectly be innocent against Silva, that is the cost of having a history of lying and cheating.

Last edited:
Those who are understanding fans, think maybe he didn't realize after the fact that he had. Especially those who have trained and been choked out and almost choked out a few times themselves.

Those who are less understanding fans that haven't trained don't care, just mock.

And there is probably a 3rd gray area of fans somewhere in between those two groups.
That is a fair assessment, no doubt. Some of Lee's interviews and comments, his overall dismissive attitude of other fighters (even those who beat him) may lead some of us to be less understanding. He even commented that Charles didn't choke him, he choked himself. The downplaying of another's skills is an unlikable trait, imo.

That is a fair assessment, no doubt. Some of Lee's interviews and comments, his overall dismissive attitude of other fighters (even those who beat him) may lead some of us to be less understanding. He even commented that Charles didn't choke him, he choked himself. The downplaying of another's skills is an unlikable trait, imo.
Unlikable is one thing. And yes, he brings that on himself.

But unlike Chael and a few others (see my previous post just a few seconds ago) I don't believe Lee has ever shown any history of fake tapping. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Likeability should not matter. Any mma fans who give Chael a pass because they like him but don't give Lee a pass because they don't are not worthy of being taken seriously as mma fans.

"should not matter". Of course, we know the reality ;)

Last edited:
No one can say for sure. Hopefully TFKL gets back to training though.

He didn’t actually tap....he was nudging his opponent asking him
“Where the after party at?”

Kevin,

Even if your version of things is true, it means you were out of it. That is a TKO. It just ended up being ruled a submission.

Black Paladin, Devil's Advocate
#spiritoftherules

He CLEARLY tapped.

And then complained...

Afterward he got flack from many MMA fighters and fans...

...but WHY did he tap and say he didn't?

What do you think was going through his mind?

Did he begin to lose consciousness...thus his confusion?

Or do you think that he was just being an asshole?

I still don't get it.

Assuming you’ve never been choked out before? Sometimes you go out or partially out for a second or so fighting off a choke and don’t remember the seconds leading up to it. Happened to me twice defending a triangle and anaconda.... apparently I tapped but had no memory of tapping. Dude just didn’t realize he tapped.

Back