Why did everyone leave Carlos Machado?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Harmbar, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Harmbar

Harmbar White Belt

Recently moved back to Dallas after 6 years. I had trained a little at Carlos' back then, and was looking into it now. I learned a lot searching the forums for info, looking for pricing and other info since the woman answering the phone is a high-pressure saleswoman/won't give info unless you go up there to get the sales pitch.

I know a couple years ago Carlos went to some TMA style stuff - more bowing, belt tests, belt tests after X number of classes. Whatever, that's how he makes money, and doesn't necessarily mean he's giving them away. I'm sure someone of his caliber isn't.

But I did find that a few years ago most of his black belts all left the school. Many are still together training in Carrollton at Stars Jiu Jitsu. Several posts make reference to someone getting "screwed" and other words of conflict.

What happened? Should Carlos' be avoided now? Does it have to do with the TMA stuff?

2. Mr Randy Watson

Mr Randy Watson Green Belt

Don't know much about this, however you may have better luck asking on TXMMA.com there are a lot of Dallas guys that post on the boards there, and I bet they would have some info.

3. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

I visited the school recently and was surprised to learn that beginners were not given time during class to free roll. It was a nogi class and some of the "beginners" had been doing bjj for over 6 months. Thought that was interesting since every other gym I've been to encourages rolling or at the very least, encourages beginners to watch the higher belts roll. They also had a crazy high mat fee.

I will say that the instruction is top notch and everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful. And to be fair, just about every BJJ school seems to do that whole no-prices-for-you-until-you-visit thing.

4. Harmbar

Harmbar White Belt

Thanks for the info. I'll ask there.

5. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Where do you live in DFW? Looking for a school to call home?

Carlos is still the man, had a couple of friends head up there recently and he is opening another school in DFW (Affiliate in Mansfield) in the next 2 weeks.

6. SMillard

SMillard Red Belt

I had always heard that Carlos was the most monetary driven of the Machado brothers when I trained at a Rigan Machado affiliate.

7. dza76wutang

dza76wutang Black Belt

Since he's my BJJ "grandfather" if anyone knows I'd like to read about it.

8. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

Here is what i wrote on your nhbgear post