Why did everyone leave Carlos Machado?

Harmbar

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently moved back to Dallas after 6 years. I had trained a little at Carlos' back then, and was looking into it now. I learned a lot searching the forums for info, looking for pricing and other info since the woman answering the phone is a high-pressure saleswoman/won't give info unless you go up there to get the sales pitch.

I know a couple years ago Carlos went to some TMA style stuff - more bowing, belt tests, belt tests after X number of classes. Whatever, that's how he makes money, and doesn't necessarily mean he's giving them away. I'm sure someone of his caliber isn't.

But I did find that a few years ago most of his black belts all left the school. Many are still together training in Carrollton at Stars Jiu Jitsu. Several posts make reference to someone getting "screwed" and other words of conflict.

What happened? Should Carlos' be avoided now? Does it have to do with the TMA stuff?

Don't know much about this, however you may have better luck asking on TXMMA.com there are a lot of Dallas guys that post on the boards there, and I bet they would have some info.

I visited the school recently and was surprised to learn that beginners were not given time during class to free roll. It was a nogi class and some of the "beginners" had been doing bjj for over 6 months. Thought that was interesting since every other gym I've been to encourages rolling or at the very least, encourages beginners to watch the higher belts roll. They also had a crazy high mat fee.

I will say that the instruction is top notch and everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful. And to be fair, just about every BJJ school seems to do that whole no-prices-for-you-until-you-visit thing.

Where do you live in DFW? Looking for a school to call home?

Carlos is still the man, had a couple of friends head up there recently and he is opening another school in DFW (Affiliate in Mansfield) in the next 2 weeks.

I had always heard that Carlos was the most monetary driven of the Machado brothers when I trained at a Rigan Machado affiliate.

Since he's my BJJ "grandfather" if anyone knows I'd like to read about it.

Here is what i wrote on your nhbgear post

Some of his blackbelts have left to open their own schools, that's pretty natural. The school still has a group of blackbelts who train there regularly. I don't know whats fully going on with belt testing now, but things have changed from what you said. There are no costs to belt testing anymore. Some people are so against belt testing, but in reality i feel its needed. For every belt i think there are 2 main components that make up the belt. Your technical knowledge and ability on the mat. I feel like once you display the skills on the mat you should then belt test, so that its clear you also have the technical knowledge needed for the belt.

Anyway to get back on topic:

I would say on your average night you will see 3+ blackbelts there training. If you are a beginner then there are classes specially suited to you.

Personally i don't think you could go wrong training under Carlos, he is there pretty much every day teaching and rolling with people. Why not just turn up at the school and do or watch a class.

If you have any more questions just ask and i'll try to answer them.

Back