Why did Askren stop calling out Khabib?

Bombadil

You gave me yellow card, but i still love you.
Banned
Reaction score
He demanded a title fight against Khabib and trashtalked him but he hasnt mentioned his name for a while.

Probably because he realized there's no chance in hell he'll ever get that fight, especially after his very controversial UFC debut.

because he got slammed on his head by a non wrestler and practically lost his last fight in less than 10 seconds

I had to do a quick google search. It appears he did call out Khabib for a 165lb fight. But since then:

a) the drama (or rumors) around 165 has decreased substantially
b) Khabib got suspended

And let's also remember, before, during and after that call out, Askren has probably called out about a dozen other people as well.

Askren is a legend in his own mind. Folks probably got tired of listening to him demand a title shot when he hasn't established any kind of record for having one. I imagine someone, his coaches, team-mates or Dana White told him to shut it and EARN a title shot.

because he got slammed on his head by a non wrestler and practically lost his last fight in less than 10 seconds

Didn't realize the first ten seconds of a fight mattered? More likely the last 10 seconds tends to be more relevant.

LqrGjzY.png

He's prolly like "Whoa, Robbie and these ufc guys are legit. Gotta get down to my level."

Didn't realize the first ten seconds of a fight mattered? More likely the last 10 seconds tends to be more relevant.

LqrGjzY.png

I can't tell if you're trolling or stupid? That was a questionable stoppage. I think Askren did a good job of fighting through that initual asswhooping and I think he would have eventually won the fight but that stoppage may have been a bad call. It definitely warrants a rematch.

He's prolly like "Whoa, Robbie and these ufc guys are legit. Gotta get down to my level."

Or maybe he actually realized there is no chance in hell of getting a Khabib fight. Aren't we all waiting for an interim belt match between two former 145 pounders? Khabib is out because he has his knickers twisted about his teammate getting fined, his own suspension and Ramadan.

Then when he comes back he is required to fight the winner of Poirier - Holloway. That could be a year and a half from now. I expect Askren is going to focus his efforts on fights that can actually happen.

Or maybe he actually realized there is no chance in hell of getting a Khabib fight. Aren't we all waiting for an interim belt match between two former 145 pounders? Khabib is out because he has his knickers twisted about his teammate getting fined, his own suspension and Ramadan.

Then when he comes back he is required to fight the winner of Poirier - Holloway. That could be a year and a half from now. I expect Askren is going to focus his efforts on fights that can actually happen.
that's a good point. Respect to fighters that fight despite these gold belted drama queens holding up everything in this era.

I can't tell if you're trolling or stupid? That was a questionable stoppage. I think Askren did a good job of fighting through that initual asswhooping and I think he would have eventually won the fight but that stoppage may have been a bad call. It definitely warrants a rematch.

How about neither and if you want to be a dick I'd be happy to respond in kind.

I happen to agree that they need to fight again. Not now though. Lawler is now 1-3 in his last 4 with his only win over a 155 pound gatekeeper. He desperately needs a couple of highlight reel wins to get his credibility back. Lawler lost the fight with Askren either because he actually was temporarily out or his fight IQ was so low that he figured he could look like he was out and the fight wouldn't be stopped.

The question here and I've asked it of several people that commented on this fight is: If Askren fights Lawler again next and beats him does it lead him to a title shot?

If Askren wins, he will have beaten a guy he already beat once (on paper if nothing else) and who would then be 1-4 in his last 5. Not really a stirring endorsement for a title shot.

If lawler beats woodley in brutal fashion and Askren cruises through Masvidal then there is logic in having them fight as a title eliminator. Robbie will be coming off a win over the former champ.

For them to fight now does neither of them any good other than to satisfy us fans that likely missed out on a crazy fight.

Probably because he realized there's no chance in hell he'll ever get that fight, especially after his very controversial UFC debut.

but he still won...like it or not..he won...if he beats mas, which I definitely think he will..he has a legit case for a title shot...

Key word is "practically" fact is, even through a lucky as hell, would never in a million years happen again, slam, he still hung in there and took lawler down, and got the bulldog choke on him...whether he tapped or not, lawler wasn't going anywhere..the fight would have been over a few seconds later...

Doesn't have the leverage asking for a Khabib money fight after getting Angle Slammed and nearly TKO'd in his UFC debut.

Also realistically, Khabib is coming back until September-November and will fight Max/Dustin, then (hopefully) Ferguson, and Conor isn't really retired when he comes back he'll get a title shot even tho it's not fair he'll get it. Also Gaethje can get a title shot with another 2+ wins. Way too many ppl in the queue ahead of Ben Askren.

but he still won...like it or not..he won...if he beats mas, which I definitely think he will..he has a legit case for a title shot...
Why would he get Khabib from beating masvidal. You mean title shot against Usman?

Why would he get Khabib from beating masvidal. You mean title shot against Usman?

Don't mind me...early onset of dementia...but why did askren call out khabib, if he's(khabib) in a weight class lower?

How about neither and if you want to be a dick I'd be happy to respond in kind.

I happen to agree that they need to fight again. Not now though. Lawler is now 1-3 in his last 4 with his only win over a 155 pound gatekeeper. He desperately needs a couple of highlight reel wins to get his credibility back. Lawler lost the fight with Askren either because he actually was temporarily out or his fight IQ was so low that he figured he could look like he was out and the fight wouldn't be stopped.

The question here and I've asked it of several people that commented on this fight is: If Askren fights Lawler again next and beats him does it lead him to a title shot?

If Askren wins, he will have beaten a guy he already beat once (on paper if nothing else) and who would then be 1-4 in his last 5. Not really a stirring endorsement for a title shot.

If lawler beats woodley in brutal fashion and Askren cruises through Masvidal then there is logic in having them fight as a title eliminator. Robbie will be coming off a win over the former champ.

For them to fight now does neither of them any good other than to satisfy us fans that likely missed out on a crazy fight.

That's a little too much logic there buddy. I don't think you're getting a reply.

Because he proposed to the UFC to make the fight happen at 165lbs aka new division, Dana said no

Back