Why aren't they just doing Werdum vs. Overeem for the title?

SaintSoldier

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why exactly are they wasting Overeem's time with another fight and giving Stipe the shot instead? Overeem has a better win streak, has beaten Werdum before, and is obviously a more marketable fight. Yet they are matching him up with Arlovski...there is no logic.

Why does it matter? I'm far more excited to see Reem vs Arlovski than any Werdum fight.

There's strong arguments for both getting the title shot, but I personally favour Stipe.

Stipe just beat the clear no. 1 contender by KOing him in less than a minute and probably has just as good (if not better) UFC wins than Overeem.

Alistair beat Werdum almost 5 years ago and I don't really think it's that relevant now, and he has been TKO/KO'd 3 times in the past 3 years with 2 of them being in the first round.

Reem got stopped by Rothwell a couple of fights ago.

Ben%2BRothwell%2BKnockouts%2BAlistair%2BOvereem%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B50.gif

That did not help.

3.gif

or this

When they made the title fight, Reem was not a definite to be continuing under the UFC banner.
Plus they get a good headliner in his home country now.
Makes good booking sense.

I love how Stipe's fans forget that he is just on a 2 fight win streak.

I love how Stipe's fans forget that he is just on a 2 fight win streak.
What's your point? I think everyone knows that because they remember the hard fought FotN with JDS.

Overeem would be a punching bag for Stipe, Stipe is too fast for him. so everything makes sense to me.

There's strong arguments for both getting the title shot, but I personally favour Stipe.

Stipe just beat the clear no. 1 contender by KOing him in less than a minute and probably has just as good (if not better) UFC wins than Overeem.

Alistair beat Werdum almost 5 years ago and I don't really think it's that relevant now, and he has been TKO/KO'd 3 times in the past 3 years with 2 of them being in the first round.

I'm an Overeem fan, and a bigger fan of Arlovski (in fact, his TKO loss to Sylvia was my first PPV viewing experience), but it's pretty clear that Stipe is the #1 contender (after Cain...... I suppose...). Overeem may have a 3 fight win streak to Stipes 2, but he's been decisively finished so many times I feel he'd need both Cain and Stipe to lose to emerge as the front runner at this point. One should also not discount Rothwell. I'm not sure what his recent record is, but it's definitely made a case for top 2-3 in the rankings at this point.

They really just need to boot Cain out of title talks and get things moving (off topic).

Reem was a free agent few days ago. He wanted to test the market.

Werdum vs Stipe > Reem vs Arlovski
...and it's not even close.

Highly debatable. Obviously, the age (of training and fight experience) is much greater for AA and Overeem, while Werdum and Stipe (Stipe especially) are the fresher fighters. Overeem and Arlovski are more proficient strikers, despite their chins having been checked one too many times, and I find them both to be much more exciting than either Werdum or Miocic.

This "it's not even close" talk, when all you're doing is spouting your personal opinion, does nothing to strengthen your argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back