Why are Vale Tudo shorts banned from BJJ tournaments?

Felipe Valentim

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Why are Vale Tudo shorts banned from BJJ tournaments? I was competing at Copa Nova a while ago and I was wearing vale tudo shorts and the ref did not allow me to fight with them on and I had to wear regular shorts. Do anyone know why they are banned?

Excess sexiness

Have you ever been under North-South against someone wearing Vale Tudo shorts? It is a deeply unpleasant experience.

Because of the IBJJF rules:

For Jiu-Jitsu No-Gi, athletes should abide by the following attire requirements:
• Men:
Board shorts primarily black with up to 30% of their rank color (belt), with no pockets or with pockets entirely stitched
shut, and reaching at least halfway down the thigh and at most to the knee. Attached metal or plastic of any kind that
may hurt the opponent is expressly forbidden on the board shorts.
Men are permitted the use of shorts or trunks of elastic fabric (clings to body), so long as they are worn under the
regulation shorts.
Shirt of elastic fabric (clings to body) at a length that covers the shorts’ waist band, of black or white color, and displaying
at least 10% of the color of the rank (belt) to which the athlete belongs. Shirts that are 100% the color of the rank (belt)
the athlete belongs to are also acceptable.
• Women:
Board shorts or lycra elastic pants primarily black with up to 30% of their rank color (belt), without pockets or with pockets
entirely stitched shut, and reaching at least halfway down the thigh and at most to the knee. Attached metal or plastic of
any kind that may hurt the opponent is expressly forbidden on the board shorts.
Shirt of elastic fabric (clings to body) at a length that covers the shorts’ waist band, of black or white color, and displaying
at least 10% of the color of the rank (belt) to which the athlete belongs. Shirts that are 100% the color of the rank (belt)
the athlete belongs to are also acceptable.

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/rulesibjjf1stedition.pdf

to save most people from embarrassment

Embarrassment? If you can't wear Vale Tudo shorts without being embarrassment, you gotta grow a pair and stop giving a shit about what other people think about you.

Embarrassment? If you can't wear Vale Tudo shorts without being embarrassment, you gotta grow a pair and stop giving a shit about what other people think about you.

well they banned them so problem solved.
you can wear them in NAGA and GQ.
no big deal

for the record, IBJJG also banned commando and g-string .

It's only embarrassment when you are a beachboy with chicken legs.
Needz Moar Squatz

because people have poor hygiene and vale tudo shorts keep the stink, if you know what i mean.

seriously though, the only man i've rolled with who wore vale tudo shorts smelled super bad. he probably smelled by default, but the shorts made it feel worse, especially whenever i tried to play half/deep half. talk about a psychological advantage.

I think its stupid, and i kind of think there isnt many people who is willing to go and tell rustam that he looks like romo for wearing vale tudo shorts, and rolling shirtless...

i guess a lot of people did not see marcelo vs popovich adcc 2009
that sold me on vale tudo in comps. you know motherfuckers are grabbing shorts

BJJ is a pretty gay sport, but even then it has limits. Vale Tudo shorts are just pushing it too far.

i guess a lot of people did not see marcelo vs popovich adcc 2009
that sold me on vale tudo in comps. you know motherfuckers are grabbing shorts

This. I wear vale tudos when I compete in non ibjjf. I just like them better when rolling no gi. I think if you want to wear them you should be able to.

Also im not the stinky guy in class.

BJJ is a pretty gay sport, but even then it has limits. Vale Tudo shorts are just pushing it too far.

well, BJJ is the only sport where they banned girls from wearing thongs, so you might be on to something

well, BJJ is the only sport where they banned girls from wearing thongs, so you might be on to something

bro wtf is with this dubs, I believe its been over 30 days since we got them, damn it...

I'm glad their against the rules, I don't want to roll with a dude who's only wearing underwear

Back