Why are UFC fighters cutting water so early in advance?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Tentacle, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Tentacle

Tentacle Purple Belt

It seems to me alot of fighters are starting to shed water really early, like one or even two days in advance. To me this seem a bit extreme. I have limited experience with cutting but I have cut close to 3 litres just by sleeping with clothes on+running in a plastic suit+cutting out salt a few days earlier. Now, of course, most fighters cut much more than that and why is that? If you have managed to get to your fat percentage goal most fighters could probably lose 6-7 litres just by sleeping in clothes+a series of epsom salt baths during the day of weigh ins.

Or is it about pre-sweating so you lose salt but you keep putting in water and then you lose everything the last day? Please enlighten me.

2. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

3. dascrum

dascrum White Belt

They are training their body to get used to shedding water. If you start 8-10 days out and keep replacing the water your body adapts to that. then, when you keep up the same process last day or two, but cut out the water replacement you shed crazy weight. I used to cut from 185-190 down to 162 for wrestling. Works like a hot damn.

xGRIMREAPERx and Cynfocus like this.
  4. Cynfocus

Cynfocus Blue Belt

Salt baths are not the way to go with the IV ban, things are different than before. Guys are having to get the water moving slowly but consistently which take time but i wouldn't say that they cut more than a day out from weight ins. cutting is not just about getting the water out on the last day.

5. Naos

Naos Green Belt

I'm unsure but considering that they are paid professionals who are looking to fight at optimal performance and they generally make weight on target, I'm going to say that the way they are currently cutting weight is the correct way.