Why are the UFC putting McGregor w/ Faber (lost to Edgar) while having Mendes ...

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
McGregor recently beat Mendes.
Edgar recently beat Faber.

It makes sense for McGregor to fight Edgar (winner vs. winner).
And have Mendes vs. Faber (loser vs. loser)?

Why are the UFC matching McGregor with Faber coming off a lost, while giving Mendes a fight against Edgar?

This doesn't make any sense, lol!

You know you're on Sherdog, when people make threads expressing outrage for fights that aren't even happening.

McGregor is fighting Aldo for the title.

They were talking about McGregor coaching TUF if he beat Aldo, the idea was if he beat Aldo he'd coach against Mendes.

But then Aldo pulled out of the fight, he fought Mendes and won so they kept him on and put Faber in there.

and if he lost to Mendes at 189 then he could have coached vs Faber and fought him after the season.

Christ you're attached

Whether he is too attached I cannot rightly judge. But your statement was stupid. I can only assume you were trolling. At this point Conor is the most deserving contender in UFC FW history and it isn't close.

Whether he is too attached I cannot rightly judge. But your statement was stupid. I can only assume you were trolling. At this point Conor is the most deserving contender in UFC FW history and it isn't close.

Stupid thread
> stupid post

maybe should have put a "duh" in there,
somewhere. Maybe it would have made it
clearer to you.
Maybe whatever.

Though... I don't understand how he is the "most
deserving in feather weight history"? He is most
deserving, but how was Mendes any less deserving?
Or Faber or Edgar?

Stupid thread
> stupid post

maybe should have put a "duh" in there,
somewhere. Maybe it would have made it
clearer to you.
Maybe whatever.

Though... I don't understand how he is the "most
deserving in feather weight history"? He is most
deserving, but how was Mendes any less deserving?
Or Faber or Edgar?

Edgar was less deserving because he had never won a fight at FW when he got his title shot. Additionally he was coming off of two consecutive losses. That should be obvious.

I was completely unaware that Faber had ever fought for the UFC FW championship.

Mendes has a good argument. But I think beating Poirier, Holloway, and Mendes > beating Yahya, Koch, and Swanson.

Also, out of curiosity, do you post from your phone? Your formatting is a mess.

They probably want a safer fight for Conor if/when Aldo pulls out. It was obvious from the moment they announced TUF. Mendes/Edgar makes sense as long as Mendes does not get a title shot with a win.

Edgar was less deserving because he had never won a fight at FW when he got his title shot. Additionally he was coming off of two consecutive losses. That should be obvious.

I was completely unaware that Faber had ever fought for the UFC FW championship.

Mendes has a good argument. But I think beating Poirier, Holloway, and Mendes > beating Yahya, Koch, and Swanson.

Also, out of curiosity, do you post from your phone? Your formatting is a mess.

It's honestly difficult for me to take
this any less seriously than the already
minimal amount of critical thinking I've
alotted itt & forum in general,
but your distinction between
the UFC/WEC featherweight belts is
disappointing, shameful & just turns me off
from replying at all.
But ok...

Yeah. Edgar was most deserving
being that every other available contender
at the time would have been either a rematch
or an obvious step below the skill level of a
champion from a higher weight & one of
the best well rounded fighters of the era.

& don't pretend that Mendes didn't
knock out a dude who had never been
KO'd before on his way to one of his shots.
a guy that many claimed were being kept
from Conor's own personal route to the title.

& to answer your last question.
I do what I want

They probably want a safer fight for Conor if/when Aldo pulls out. It was obvious from the moment they announced TUF. Mendes/Edgar makes sense as long as Mendes does not get a title shot with a win.

then it doesnt make sense

McGregor recently beat Mendes.
Edgar recently beat Faber.

It makes sense for McGregor to fight Edgar (winner vs. winner).
And have Mendes vs. Faber (loser vs. loser)?

Why are the UFC matching McGregor with Faber coming off a lost, while giving Mendes a fight against Edgar?

This doesn't make any sense, lol!

But it does make $$$.

It's honestly difficult for me to take
this any less seriously than the already
minimal amount of critical thinking I've
alotted itt & forum in general,
but your distinction between
the UFC/WEC featherweight belts is
disappointing, shameful & just turns me off
from replying at all.
But ok...

Shameful? Lol. Relax a bit. This isn't a moral discussion.

To me the belts are essentially the same, but the eras are not. Faber got a title shot in the WEC as his debut fight in the WEC, and he had just been stopped by Griffin six months prior. I'm a huge Faber fan, but he clearly did less to earn his shot at the WEC/UFC belt than McGregor has done leading up to his bout with Aldo.

Yeah. Edgar was most deserving
being that every other available contender
at the time would have been either a rematch
or an obvious step below the skill level of a
champion from a higher weight & one of
the best well rounded fighters of the era.

I have no problem with Edgar being given the fight against Aldo. It was a fight I wanted to see. But he was not the most deserving candidate at FW at the time, Lamas was. And whether he was the most deserving at that point is irrelevant to a comparison with how much McGregor has done to earn his title shot.

& don't pretend that Mendes didn't
knock out a dude who had never been
KO'd before on his way to one of his shots.
a guy that many claimed were being kept
from Conor's own personal route to the title.

Are you talking about McKenzie? Lol. But seriously, I assume you're talking about Guida, and TKOing Guida was pretty impressive. I'd say it was definitely a better win than Siver, but it wasn't a better win than Poirier or Holloway or Mendes.

& to answer your last question.
I do what I want

Fair enough. I figured it was a gimmick, but I wasn't sure, which is why I asked.

tl/dr Saying that Conor was gifted a title shot is stupid.

Last edited:
Back