Elections Why are politicians allowed to give paid speeches?

Because USA is the most corrupted country in the world? I thought Afghanistan was bad - e.g. - giving boy rapists and mass murdering drug warlords billions - then I look at who facilitated it.

Why are politicians allowed to give paid speeches given the amount of corruption this leads to? It's mostly a legal form of bribery. Nobody is a actually paying them this money to hear them speak. This should be an easy bipartisan issue. Once someone holds high office, they should be barred from giving paid speeches.

You think politicians would do anything for free?;)

Because it's a "legal" way for corporations to funnel money into the politicians pockets for favors.
Yup, just a work around for a reach around

Politicians (while in office) should either not be able to moonlight like this, or be given free reign for donations to see who's pockets they are corrupted in. If we want to get money out of politics, then do the former.

Yup, just a work around for a reach around

Politicians (while in office) should either not be able to moonlight like this, or be given free reign for donations to see who's pockets they are corrupted in. If we want to get money out of politics, then do the former.

Congressfolk have been banned from getting paid for speeches since 1991.

What about senators, mayors, other public officials?

I've never really looked into that

Senators yes. Executive Branch workers also. I'd guess that mayors would be on a city-by-city basis (i.e., some bans, some not). Don't know for sure, though.

Why do Americans keep voting for the same two parties and politicians when most believe they are corrupt?

Why do Americans keep voting for the same two parties and politicians when most believe they are corrupt?
I think part of the reason is because we are a large country. It seems like having multiple viable parties is easier in a much smaller country.

The Swiss direct democracy appears to be a superior to our representative democracy. Maybe this is a subject for another thread??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy

Serving this country used to be a sacrifice... It's now a golden ticket... The previous model was much more positive for America...

Serving this country used to be a sacrifice... It's now a golden ticket... The previous model was much more positive for America...

I think for many it still is.

Sure, working in government can look fantastic on a resume, but it's my understanding that a lot of people spend years in service for peanuts compared to what they'd be making in the private sector.

Back