Social Why are people so obsessed with saving a dollar?

Why not? Anytime I can lower the cost in some way especially for an item that I use regularly it's a win for me. Reducing spending is part of budgeting and building wealth. It keeps me grounded to live within my means and acts as a buffer when I do feel like splurging or spend more on something than I would like to.

I feel like this attitude has been lost for 2 generations now. Our grandparents and their parents before them were always doing anything to save a penny. Now people spend every available dollar they have instead of saving for the future.

My grandparents never threw away food. They saved leftovers for later on. Even cereal was put back in the refrigerator if it wasn't 100% finished. Now people take a few bites and throw everything in the trash if the food is not up to their liking.

Why not? Anytime I can lower the cost in some way especially for an item that I use regularly it's a win for me. Reducing spending is part of budgeting and building wealth. It keeps me grounded to live within my means and acts as a buffer when I do feel like splurging or spend more on something than I would like to.
If its "week in week out" kind of stuff I think it makes more sense as the savings do become considerable, buying similar groceries but switching around brands and exactly what you buy each week to go along with deals can probably add up to a good $500+ saved per year without much difference in the quality of what your buying.

Pretty dumb to ever spend a penny more than you have to on anything, no matter how much money you have to your name.

Reactions: 666
Yea I'm a single dude who lives in an apartment in the 'middle class' that's not gonna be around much longer so I throw money around a bit because I'm not going to spend 300k on some shithole house. So money doesn't mean as much to me but I get your viewpoint and the backhanded advice.

Ohhhh. It's a troll account. I get it now. Sorry about almost breaking your 4th wall man. I know method acting takes a toll on the psyche.

Cool story for all the other people in here. My grandfather was and is very wealthy. Worked for and owned a few auto dealerships. He was so frugal that he used to collect all the cans and bottles from the trash cans around the dealership and return them for the 5 cent deposit. Used to take me with him with huge trash bags full of cans. Was a coupon lady before it was even a thing. He even sold fucking stamps in his free time. Still lived it up, but scrimped where he could like no other. He used all of the money he saved from his frugality to run a foster home for girls. Lots of former foster girls who call him all the time and are living decent lives because of that man, all because he was a cheap ass mother fucker. He's still kicking and will die with a nice net worth. Starting to get my own decent net worth based on what he taught me, and have been starting to give back because of it. Feels good man.

Last edited:
After seeing the trucks and cars people drive, I would say it's to make sure they can afford their car payments

Ohhhh. It's a troll account. I get it now. Sorry about almost breaking your 4th wall man. I know method acting takes a toll on the psyche.

Cool story for all the other people in here. My grandfather was and is very wealthy. Worked for and owned a few auto dealerships. He was so frugal that he used to collect all the cans and bottles from the trash cans around the dealership and return them for the 5 cent deposit. Used to take me with him with huge trash bags full of cans. Was a coupon lady before it was even a thing. He even sold fucking stamps in his free time. Still lived it up, but scrimped where he could like no other. He used all of the money he saved from his frugality to run a foster home for girls. Lots of former foster girls who call him all the time and are living decent lives because of that man, all because he was a cheap ass mother fucker. He's still kicking and will die with a nice net worth. Starting to get my own decent net worth based on what he taught me, and have been starting to give back because of it. Feels good man.
No I'm not a troll bro. You can't troll people in this era of the internet. But if you ever have to cross a bridge just keep in mind I might be under it.

TS is conflating smart/frugal consumer decisions, with hoarding. They're not the same thing at all.

Everytime I go to the grocery store and there's even a 30 cent sale on something the shelf is cleared. Last time I went to buy some rice of the brand I usually get and it was all gone and on 'sale' for a dollar. Out of spite I decided to buy the most expensive rice. Why do People do this?
For some products, the brand is meaningless. Moving an extra inch to buy Brand B instead of Brand A to save a dollar, makes economical sense.

For the same reason people will waste two hours standing in line at Starbucks for a “free” coffee.

They like feeling as if they’re getting one over on someone. That’s the psychology behind how sales work. If something goes on sale, people will buy it even if it wasn’t something they ever intended on buying. It isn’t as if they’re going to resell it for a few extra bucks. And even if they did, I doubt it would be worth their time. Or maybe they don’t value their time much.

For some products, the brand is meaningless. Moving an extra inch to buy Brand B instead of Brand A to save a dollar, makes economical sense.
If it’s something you buy often, yes. Because those few extra cents add up over time.

But what I can’t stand is my brother and sister in law sitting there examining every single product on the store to see if they can save 30 or 40 cents, for things we’re only buying once. It’s a waste of my fucking time. And I work full time so I value my leisure time. I can’t say the same for them.

Sorry but I have a perception level of 8 and believe this is bad advice. I will however buy the most expensive shite when I get pissed off at the grocery store.

Yeah that will show them!
Oh.. wait.

Need money to buy things, that's why.

One year we counted all of the change we found and/or picked up off the ground or was left in coin machines, etc. And it was nearly $300.

My grandfather had a funny saying when he'd pick a penny up of the ground, "one cent closer to being a millionaire."

The pantry/coupon lady is a real species and with modern technology can be a real pain in the arse!

For the same reason people will waste two hours standing in line at Starbucks for a “free” coffee.

They like feeling as if they’re getting one over on someone. That’s the psychology behind how sales work. If something goes on sale, people will buy it even if it wasn’t something they ever intended on buying. It isn’t as if they’re going to resell it for a few extra bucks. And even if they did, I doubt it would be worth their time. Or maybe they don’t value their time much.
There's a huge difference in saving money on items you buy every week and waiting that long in line for anything . . . free or not.

Because nearly the whole damn country is broke?

I go to the store twice a week with the family. I honestly spend around $300-$500 a week in groceries, but we do not eat out often. Even though the items seem like nickel and dime, I'd estimate that I probably save $20-$40 a week by buying items that are on sale vs not on sale.

But I do realize what you are saying with some things. Lines to get gas when it is $.05 cheaper at a station is what gets me. But again, I guess their argument can be that they commute and possibly fill up a couple times a week. I suppose it adds up, but I do think most are just saving $1-$2 a couple times a month.

Back