Why are carbs the most important thing post workout?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56619

I do not understand why my body needs more carbs post workout than protein, could someone please explain this to me? Is it kinda the same idea as insulin spike? All help is appreciated.

Carbs are fuel for your body like gas for your car...use all the gas in your car gotta fill it back up

Carbs will also replenish glycogen levels. Glycogen is the fuel you use.

Timbaland said:
Carbs will also replenish glycogen levels. Glycogen is the fuel you use.

This is the bottom line.

Your body uses carbohydrates for energy. Protein is mainly devoted to repairing/rebuilding muscle tissue. What most guys don't understand is that if you don't get sufficient carbohydrates in your diet, especially pre and post-workout, your body will convert the protein you have taken into carbohydrates and use it for fuel instead; thus, instead of being devoted to repairing muscle tissue, it will be used to replenish glycogen stores.

Why not take 400g of protein a day? Your body prefers readily accessible carbohydrates (especially after exercising), there is "whole food value" in carbohydrates not in protein sources (and vice versa...but you need both) which has not scientifically been pinned down but is pretty much universally agreed exists, and furthermore, there is an glucose (sugar) byproduct of the protein->carbohydrate conversion. It isn't much, so like RJKD, I believe getting slightly more protein than you require is better than getting too little, but since my goal is usually 180-220g depending on the phase of dieting I'm in (and I weight 243 pounds), when 150lb guys talk about getting 2g/lb (300g protein daily), I just shake my head. They've been had.

Isn't protein the material?

One must realize it's the carbs that fuels the action of healing muslce.

Protein with no carbs=No muscle repairing.

Not really but that's the general idea. Them protein will be converted to energy.

you need carbs, why else can the people on Atkins eat all the protein and fat they want, and still loose weight

explosives said:
you need carbs, why else can the people on Atkins eat all the protein and fat they want, and still loose weight

Because they're not losing just fat. They lose mostly water weight (and are constantly dehydrated) and muscle mass.

Those people also regain their weight and then some. That diet doesn't work.

I know pre workout a 4:1 carb:protein ration is good, what about post workout? Is it the same or will my body require some extra protein to rebuild muscle?

when you consume enough protein daily (2 - 2,5 grams per kilo b.w.) it doesn't matter to not have protein post work-out, but you have to stay with the fast carbs post work - out (and that can be a lot post work-out) > they will absorb quickly and fill up the glycogen

for lean body muscle mass >>> fast carbs post work -out !!!!!!

replenish glycogen levels

Right, and after a workout, the levels increase, therefore the muscles are taking in more carbs to store, then that they usually would. Carbs= protein sparring. They spare the protein to be used to repair. If the main fuel source your taking in is protein, then the body is going to use that as energy and using it for all ofther needs. Repairing tissue after a workout ( to help build muscle ) is not on the priority list to for the body. Give it Fat/Carbs, then the body can use protein to repair.

Right now I take a maltodextrin in my post workout shake. is that too complex?

creepingcharlie said:
Right now I take a maltodextrin in my post workout shake. is that too complex?

No, that's the best post-workout carb.

HUNEBED said:
when you consume enough protein daily (2 - 2,5 grams per kilo b.w.) it doesn't matter to not have protein post work-out, but you have to stay with the fast carbs post work - out (and that can be a lot post work-out) > they will absorb quickly and fill up the glycogen

for lean body muscle mass >>> fast carbs post work -out !!!!!!

True except for the part about it not being important to take protein immediately post-workout (even if you have an already rich protein diet): the first two hours is when the body is most actively recovering.

Madmick said:
True except for the part about it not being important to take protein immediately post-workout (even if you have an already rich protein diet): the first two hours is when the body is most actively recovering.

theorical? your right but read this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12094125&query_hl=1

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):340-7.

Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training.

Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J.

Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, California 90840, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Seventy-three healthy, male subjects randomly divided into 3 groups participated in a study to determine the effects of 2 high-calorie nutritional supplements on body composition, body segment circumferences, and muscular strength following a resistance-training (RT) program. METHODS: In addition to their normal diets group 1 (CHO/PRO; n=26) consumed a 8.4 Mj x day(-1) (2010 kcal) high calorie, high protein supplement containing 356 g carbohydrate and 106 g protein. Group 2 (CHO; n=25) consumed a carbohydrate supplement that was isocaloric with CHO/PRO. Group 3 (CTRL; n=22) received no supplement and served as a control. All subjects were placed on a 4-day x week(-1) RT program for 8 weeks. RESULTS: Dietary analysis revealed no significant differences in total energy consumption or nutrients at any time in the non-supplemented diets of the 3 groups. Significant (p= or <0.05) increases in body mass (BM) and fat-free mass (FFM) were observed in CHO/PRO and CHO compared to CTRL. Mean (+/- SD) increases in BM were 3.1+/-3.1 kg and 3.1+/-2.2 kg, respectively. Fat-free mass significantly (p= or <0.05) increased 2.9+/-3.4 kg in CHO/PRO and 3.4+/-2.5 kg in CHO. Muscular strength, as measured by a one-repetition maximum in the bench press, leg press, and lat-pull down increased significantly (p= or <0.05) in all groups. No significant differences in strength measures were observed among groups following training. CONCLUSIONS: Results indicate that high-calorie supplements are effective in increasing BM and FFM when combined with RT. However, once individual protein requirements are met, energy content of the diet has the largest effect on body composition.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12094125 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Anyone know the ratio carbs to proteion for post workout?

HUNEBED said:
theorical? your right but read this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12094125&query_hl=1

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):340-7.

Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training.

Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J.

Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, California 90840, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Seventy-three healthy, male subjects randomly divided into 3 groups participated in a study to determine the effects of 2 high-calorie nutritional supplements on body composition, body segment circumferences, and muscular strength following a resistance-training (RT) program. METHODS: In addition to their normal diets group 1 (CHO/PRO; n=26) consumed a 8.4 Mj x day(-1) (2010 kcal) high calorie, high protein supplement containing 356 g carbohydrate and 106 g protein. Group 2 (CHO; n=25) consumed a carbohydrate supplement that was isocaloric with CHO/PRO. Group 3 (CTRL; n=22) received no supplement and served as a control. All subjects were placed on a 4-day x week(-1) RT program for 8 weeks. RESULTS: Dietary analysis revealed no significant differences in total energy consumption or nutrients at any time in the non-supplemented diets of the 3 groups. Significant (p= or <0.05) increases in body mass (BM) and fat-free mass (FFM) were observed in CHO/PRO and CHO compared to CTRL. Mean (+/- SD) increases in BM were 3.1+/-3.1 kg and 3.1+/-2.2 kg, respectively. Fat-free mass significantly (p= or <0.05) increased 2.9+/-3.4 kg in CHO/PRO and 3.4+/-2.5 kg in CHO. Muscular strength, as measured by a one-repetition maximum in the bench press, leg press, and lat-pull down increased significantly (p= or <0.05) in all groups. No significant differences in strength measures were observed among groups following training. CONCLUSIONS: Results indicate that high-calorie supplements are effective in increasing BM and FFM when combined with RT. However, once individual protein requirements are met, energy content of the diet has the largest effect on body composition.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12094125 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I would tend to agree with this study overal. I think the vast majority depends on overall energy consumption. For example, don't pound your protein shake and mess up the rest of your diet and assume you are fine.

I would think though, a protein shake after the workout would be benificial for a few reasons, mostly because its cheap insurance, similar to a multivitamin.

I think that a decent amount of people don't have amazing diets, so this would help them if they are not getting in enough protein overall. The study was done on people with really good diets. Also since protein systhesis is higher I would think that there might be a small difference in taking protein afterwards. Maybe not big enough to be seen in 8 weeks. So since we are not all on a specific diet that was made to be isocaloric, having a shake afterwards won't hurt one bit.

Don't pass up the carbs though, they are very underrated. Mostly because the supplement companies don't really sell carb drinks (there are a few, but not many) and if they did we'd be seeing that a person needs carbs every 2 hours also haha.

Back