Economy Why are Americans so bad with handling money?

There is a massive difference between being dumb and being un-educated. There are plenty of smart poor people whether you, judging by your shitty remark, think that's true or not. Even so, you make a good point that with pressure tactics and sales pitches full of encouraging phrases people are easily lured into unmanageable debt. It can be practically coercive.

All the power is in the hands of the lenders while consumers are bombarded with jargon and numbers and buried in paperwork. In some ways it's gotten even worse now with the shortage of housing inventory everywhere. You have to move fast to have any chance of closing a deal and moving fast means you can easily get sucked in to a bad deal without realizing it until it's far too late.

I don't even think it's really an issue of individual qualities. When house prices are rising and lending standards are lax, obviously you'll have more borrowing for houses. And then when prices drop and the economy is doing poorly, you're obviously going to have an increase in defaults. Seems pretty mechanical.

I don't even think it's really an issue of individual qualities. When house prices are rising and lending standards are lax, obviously you'll have more borrowing for houses. And then when prices drop and the economy is doing poorly, you're obviously going to have an increase in defaults. Seems pretty mechanical.
I don't either. That was pretty much my point :)

I'm answering the question and haven't read the thread but obvious isn't it? America is obsessed with consumption. Until that's fixed most folks will be drowning in debt.

I've never had a car note. All cash purchases.

Sounds crazy to drop $10-20k on the spot but your savings accumulate pretty fast when you don't have a damn car note.
We paid in full for our current vehicle. It cost us about $27K. We had to get a bank draft, and the dealership seemed uneasy about it. I felt like a damn drug kingpin!

Gotta say, my wife and I look kinda like hipsters, and the dealership is much nicer and more accommodating than they were the years before that interaction lol

First of all, dont give me that shit how people are struggling with basic needs so they have to use credit cards just to make ends meet. I know and YOU know that's bullshit. People are buying things they don't need and are borrowing money at a super high interest rate to buy that thing they don't need... when they already owe tens of thousands of dollars with a 25% interest rate on credit card debt

I know plenty of people that are horrible with money. I think over half of everyone I know do not know how to save. This girl I know who has been crying about money problems ever since I met her just bought a brand new car... over $45k with a super high interest rate. She told me she's too embarrassed to tell me what her interest rate was. And she's already DROWNING in credit card debt BEFORE she bought the car. It's not just me. We all know a LOT of people who just spend, spend, spend.

Americans now owe over a TRILLION dollars in credit card debt

It’s too easy to buy stuff with your phone at home

I disagree with that. You have to put the blame on the engineering controls that allowed that.

A bunch of highly cognitive functioning people duped a bunch of low cognitive functioning people to take one and/or multiple mortgages that they knew they could not afford. If stricter lending policies had been in place the great mortgage recession would’ve never happened.

We don’t blame retards for being retarded.
Mortgage stuff mainly always was cos ....real estate developers companies.

When interest rates are low, they are borrowing money and are building ....then selling stuff

It’s too easy to buy stuff with your phone at home

Yeah I see my girlfriend doing it, just mindless buying and I’m like you don’t that.. I think Instagram and social media escalates senseless buying, it leads on a path to start buying junk.

I’ve never felt happier and financially stable since embracing a minimalist lifestyle. Seeing junk and stacks of crap everywhere gives me anxiety.

Some of the lies in this thread crack me up though

anyone that can get a loan for a 100k car is not struggling

banks don’t just give that type of money to any random

Some of the lies in this thread crack me up though

anyone that can get a loan for a 100k car is not struggling

banks don’t just give that type of money to any random
Maybe not an 100k loan, but most people can have a credit card approved, max it out, and then struggle to pay it back

Maybe not an 100k loan, but most people can have a credit card approved, max it out, and then struggle to pay it back

That's true but a credit card is anywhere from 500 to 6k for most people on their first one. If they can't pay it back then that's on them but most of the thread is talking about random scenarios about people borrowing for a ferrari or a merc or something else outlandish.

But I think of it as more of just a tidal movement than lenders duping buyers.

They’re still subjected to supply and demand.

If home developers (DR Horton, Gonyea etc) who own land refuse to build/develop and wait for supply inventory to be shortened it gives them and the banks more control over price points. It also raises the cost of homes that were built in the 30’s due to a shortage. These developers do not build affordable homes that one could pay off in a lump sum, they work with banks so people are always stuck with a 30yr and having to pay interest. Likewise when banks offer a refinancing program, people go for it even though it extends the length of their loan again. If you want to pay more towards your principal, you have to make a documented note of it, because if you overpay on your monthly mortgage, the banks just apply it to the interest

Likewise we as a society are groomed to believe we need home ownership and are encouraged to take on debt. I know of “families” with just 1 kid in 4,000 ft sq homes. All those rooms/basement using heating and not actually being used. As opposed to some Hmong families I know where they have multiple families living in a house that size and everyone contributes.

There are also laws that make it so if one did pay off their house and wanted to pass it down to their children or sell at a ridiculous low price, they would not be allowed to do so. There are also building laws and city/county codes that essentially make it impossible to build yourself a cheap rag tag home on a land lot you purchased.

My point is, a bunch of highly cognitive functioning people who understand human life cycles and place numerical figures upon them, are working for banking corporations. And figuring out ways every member of society will have to pay them interest. And the rest of the population just takes it cause they’ve either been conditioned, it works for them, are apathetic, or just plain unable to see the big picture.

First of all, dont give me that shit how people are struggling with basic needs so they have to use credit cards just to make ends meet. I know and YOU know that's bullshit. People are buying things they don't need and are borrowing money at a super high interest rate to buy that thing they don't need... when they already owe tens of thousands of dollars with a 25% interest rate on credit card debt

I know plenty of people that are horrible with money. I think over half of everyone I know do not know how to save. This girl I know who has been crying about money problems ever since I met her just bought a brand new car... over $45k with a super high interest rate. She told me she's too embarrassed to tell me what her interest rate was. And she's already DROWNING in credit card debt BEFORE she bought the car. It's not just me. We all know a LOT of people who just spend, spend, spend.

Americans now owe over a TRILLION dollars in credit card debt

You're just another punk who had mommy and daddy buy them a degree.

Low financial education + highly individualistic consumer culture. God bless capitalism.
<RomeroSalute>

I watch it all the time and on days when I’m bored I catch myself shopping online, have to physically make myself stop. Easy credit and focusing on if you can make the payment instead of afford the item. People I work with are up to their goddamned eyeballs in debt and can’t get ahead because the middle class is blah blah blah. Meanwhile I don’t have any of those problems, though I am a traveler now so my pay is dramatically higher (but I didn’t have them before either, this money just went into paying off everything sooner and then vacations). Christ people take out Xmas loans for gifts. Try posting out their behavior is the issue and you get I guess you’re just perfect or you don’t know me or I deserve x. I had this talk on here and got the I deserve response right after I said I don’t bother with people because they do this things and then they did to anyway. Impressive really.

I watch it all the time and on days when I’m bored I catch myself shopping online, have to physically make myself stop. Easy credit and focusing on if you can make the payment instead of afford the item. People I work with are up to their goddamned eyeballs in debt and can’t get ahead because the middle class is blah blah blah. Meanwhile I don’t have any of those problems, though I am a traveler now so my pay is dramatically higher (but I didn’t have them before either, this money just went into paying off everything sooner and then vacations). Christ people take out Xmas loans for gifts. Try posting out their behavior is the issue and you get I guess you’re just perfect or you don’t know me or I deserve x. I had this talk on here and got the I deserve response right after I said I don’t bother with people because they do this things and then they did to anyway. Impressive really.

Travelling really changed my thought perspective on consumerism and living with very less, especially meeting others that have nothing, yet were still very happy. I use to be crazy about clothing/fashion but I changed my thought process in my early twenties. I left to travelled the world ten years ago and I now practically have about three suit cases of stuff. I could move in a flash without any problems. Having a clutter free lifestyle really helped me on my journey personally and financially. Life is really a lot more simpler than people think.

But you've got to be careful about mentioning somebody's consumer habits, those people tend to get very defensive about it and don't wanna hear it, neither do they understand. Capitalism has really took the wrong path. It's about vanity and look at me culture now so keep consuming more and more junk. Most purchases is out of boredom in my experience. It's about producing new needs for new goods to keep this cycle going. And most of stuff I see now is useless lol.

"You got what you want, but not what you need"

Travelling really changed my thought perspective on consumerism and living with very less, especially meeting others that have nothing, yet were still very happy. I use to be crazy about clothing/fashion but I changed my thought process in my early twenties. I left to travelled the world ten years ago and I now practically have about three suit cases of stuff. I could move in a flash without any problems. Having a clutter free lifestyle really helped me on my journey personally and financially. Life is really a lot more simpler than people think.

But you've got to be careful about mentioning somebody's consumer habits, those people tend to get very defensive about it and don't wanna hear it, neither do they understand. Capitalism has really took the wrong path. It's about vanity and look at me culture now so keep consuming more and more junk. Most purchases is out of boredom in my experience. It's about producing new needs for new goods to keep this cycle going. And most of stuff I see now is useless lol.

"You got what you want, but not what you need"
I don’t but they complain and ask how I do it so I go line by line and they hate it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back