Who's the THIRD best BJJ and Sambo fighter of all time?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
IT's extremely difficult to pinpoint the top two wrestler of all time because there are so many, but it's fairly easy when it comes to BJJ and Sambo. For BJJ it's Werdum and Maia, and for Sambo, it's Fedor and Khabib.

It got me wondering, who's the THIRD best Sambo fighter of all time, and also who's the THIRD best BJJ fighter of all time?

IT's extremely difficult to pinpoint the top two wrestler of all time because there are so many, but it's fairly easy when it comes to BJJ and Sambo. For BJJ it's Werdum and Maia, and for Sambo, it's Fedor and Khabib.

It got me wondering, who's the THIRD best Sambo fighter of all time, and also who's the THIRD best BJJ fighter of all time?

You mean in MMA? Otherwise none of those 4 are even close. Also can you explain your basis for the greatest? Maia had a solid career as did Jacare in MMA while having an elite background in BJJ but guys like Galvao and Roger had far more impressive grappling careers and gave MMA a shot.

I would say Mir or Chucky Olives, for the sheer number of subs, should be in the discussion for 3rd best BJJ player in MMA.

For judo, it's Ronda and Karo.

For Sambo, what about Vovchyanchin?

Charles Oliveira for bjj.
Rustam for sambo until Islam actually starts being active.

Edit: i guess Big Nog and Mir for third goat because theyve both been champs with their bjj. I think Oliveira can surpass them though.

Really sucks about Rafael Lovato, he could have done amazing things with his BJJ game if he didn’t have his medical condition.

Really sucks about Rafael Lovato, he could have done amazing things with his BJJ game if he didn’t have his medical condition.
Damn i forgot about him. He is definitely up there for bjj in mma goat. Him vs Mousasi is such a good fight.

Charles Oliveira for bjj.
Rustam for sambo until Islam actually starts being active.

Edit: i guess Big Nog and Mir for third goat because theyve both been champs with their bjj. I think Oliveira can surpass them though.
I don’t think it can be Olivera. He got kneebarred by Jim Miller.

and got guillotined by lamas and Pettis

Khabib and Oleg Taktarov (14 submission wins, was never submitted) for sambo.

I think Oleynik (sp) should be pretty high up there for Sambo. He makes submissions work that nobody else seems to be able to.

You mean in MMA? Otherwise none of those 4 are even close. Also can you explain your basis for the greatest? Maia had a solid career as did Jacare in MMA while having an elite background in BJJ but guys like Galvao and Roger had far more impressive grappling careers and gave MMA a shot.

Fedor is in Sambo hall of fame. There are like seven guys in it. Fedor went undefeated in MMA for like ten years.

And yeah in MMA.

Yeah Mousasi only loses to great fighters. He lost to Lovato.

Sambo - Andrei Arlovski, UFC champ
BJJ - Big Nog - PRIDE & UFC champ

Alex E was damn good in Sambo from what I recall.

Too bad he was a lazy POS who couldn't be arsed to just train with his brother consistently. What a waste.

Alex E was damn good in Sambo from what I recall.

Too bad he was a lazy POS who couldn't be arsed to just train with his brother consistently. What a waste.

Alex might have had faster hands than Vitor at middleweight. Super talented, but i dont think he gave a fuck.

His grappling was so bad too

Yeah Mousasi only loses to great fighters. He lost to Lovato.
Lovato Jr bjj s best kept secret.......fucking toyed with Jake Shields at polaris.

One alteration as far as mousasi losing to great fighters ( lol he s approaching 50 wins with only 7 losses over 18 years as the 35 years young mousasi still one of the top fighters in world and has beaten great fighters and has lost a few. ..has never lost 2 in a row and never ko-ed).

...anyways, mousasi beat up the weight class higher undefeated 5th degree black belt. The judges handed Lovato a majority win based on God knows what.

One guy showed up to fight and the other put on his " defensive" grappling display. I dont know how you win a major mma title that way but he got away with it. The only fight in his career that he tasted damage and" shouldve " been his only loss.

Too many mousasi detractors who really dont appreciate this mans body of work over 4 weight classes over every major promotion- 18 years clean.

Back