• Floyd Patterson

• Ken Norton

• Vitali Klitschko

• Jim Braddock

• James J. Jeffries

Results are only viewable after voting.
I read "Greatness" as transcending the sport = Ali

Nah,

That is sensationalist Journo or non hardcore fight fan talk.

People always use that "transcendence" moniker to try and keep Ali at no1, mainly because Journo's fell in love with Ali's story, lets be honest he kept their tabloids running with entertainment and story for years, he was the Malcolm X of the boxing world.

............. however, for those of us not so invested emotionally but more interested in the answer of greatness according to the Gods of boxing, we're talking about the greatest fighter to grace the ring at HW, the man who could most likely as best as we can guess in his prime beat every other HW we know of.

we're talking about the greatest fighter to grace the ring at HW, the man who could most likely as best as we can guess in his prime beat every other HW we know of.

I would say that is a discussion of the “Best”, while “Great” is something different.

Like HOF considerations - fighters don’t necessarily need to be the best to get in if they’ve brought something else to the table.

............. however, for those of us not so invested emotionally but more interested in the answer of greatness according to the Gods of boxing, we're talking about the greatest fighter to grace the ring at HW, the man who could most likely as best as we can guess in his prime beat every other HW we know of.
If you choose by who'd beat who in their prime then I'd have to go with Lewis. But I chose the greatest as Ali because he became bigger than just the sport.

I was there on that cold, wet night in Hamburg and cheering for Haye. He didnt trouble Wlad at all, and they could have done it 10 times with the same result IMO.

Beating Haye (who was never a HW anyway) is not a contributor to HW greatness.

I didn't say it was a good fight, I said it was a good win. The resume as a whole is contributer to heavyweight greatness, and therefore beating Haye is a contributar because he's part of that resume. What does you being in Hamburg have to do with anything? LOL

I don't see how you call him "not a HW anyway", especially in a context where heavyweights from 1950s are being compared to modern heavyweights.
Haye did weigh over 200 pounds, same height and weight as Muhammad Ali, he was legit at heavyweight, held a world championship belt (weighed in 98 pounds lighter than Valuev), and was arguably one of the hardest hitting heavyweights during his time. You'll struggle to find anyone who hit harder than him at that time, aside from maybe Wladimir himself.

But you seem to be one of those reactionary fellas who think that Anthony Joshua couldn't lace Jerry Quarry's boots.

Last edited:
Vitali would have won that fight. That much peeps must concede. But prime Lennox would be a different story.
Pretty sure Lewis was coming on stronger and stronger faster with each passing round, he probably would've gotten a tko still later in the fight if hamburger face hadn't happened.

Resume wise its Ali, although I don't think anyone beats a young Tyson.

Resume wise its Ali, although I don't think anyone beats a young Tyson.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you choose by who'd beat who in their prime then I'd have to go with Lewis. But I chose the greatest as Ali because he became bigger than just the sport.

And who did prime Lewis beat? Tua? Ruddock? Morrison? Mercer? Golata? Briggs? Grant? Botha? washed up Tyson? good wins but hardly defining of a "great" And don't forget Lewis was KTFO twice in his prime.... AND he never fought Bowe professionally, who was obviously the #1 adversary for him.

His only true test was past his best Holyfield who was VERY undersized against Lewis. Yet Lewis didn't dominate--the fights were very competitive. Bowe and Ruiz had better performances against Holyfield.

Lewis was good, and top 10 material for sure, but he's not in the top 5.

So who do you have in your top 5, then?

It's all well and good to dismiss Lennox Lewis because his era wasn't very good (although you leaving off one of his best wins, Tony Tucker, makes me question how closely you followed his career), but I suspect we could be similarly dismissive of fighters you include in your own top 5.

And who did prime Lewis beat? Tua? Ruddock? Morrison? Mercer? Golata? Briggs? Grant? Botha? washed up Tyson? good wins but hardly defining of a "great" And don't forget Lewis was KTFO twice in his prime.... AND he never fought Bowe professionally, who was obviously the #1 adversary for him.

His only true test was past his best Holyfield who was VERY undersized against Lewis. Yet Lewis didn't dominate--the fights were very competitive. Bowe and Ruiz had better performances against Holyfield.

You forgot Vitali, that was a great win for someone past their prime. And you didn't mention that yes Lewis got KO'd by Rahman but he got the rematch and KO'd him back. He also avenged the McCall loss too. Bowe didn't fight him because he was too scared and threw his belt in the garbage bin rather than defend it against Lewis. Not Lewis's fault. I'd put money on Lewis to beat any other HW from history. Out of interest who do you think beats a prime Lewis?

Back