Who's the fighter of the year 2019?

Who's the fighter of the year 2019?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Inspired by this thread. Which I thought needed a poll.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/fighter-of-the-year.4039365/

Henry Cejudo

- Defended the Flyweight belt against TJ Dillashaw. Beating him in convincing fashion in only 32 seconds of the 1st round. Won performance of the night.

- Won the vacant Bantamweight belt by beating Marlon Moraes by TKO late in the 3rd round. Won performance of the night.

Israel Adesanya

- Beats legendary fighter and arguably the GOAT Anderson Silva in a fight of the night.

- Won the interim UFC Middleweight belt by beating Kelvin Gastelum. Won fight of the night, it could very well be fight of the year even.

- Won the unified UFC Middlweight belt by beating Robert Whittaker by KO in the 2nd round. Won performance of the night.

Jorge Masvidal

- KO's Darren Till with punches in the 2nd round. Won performance of the night and fight of the night.

- KO's Ben Askren with a flying knee in the fastest knockout in UFC history, only in 5 seconds of the 1st round. Won performance of the night.

- Won the BMF belt by beating Nate Diaz by TKO doctor stoppage end of the 3rd round.

What Israel did to Whittaker alone has to put him at #1

TJ/Moraes are objectively the best wins on the list.

But Israel's ascent with FOTY with Gastelum, and maybe the POTY against Whitaker was my favourite.

Masvidal's wins are the least impressive here but the way he finished them were maybe the best of the lot. Tough list.

Adesanya squeaked by an overrated Kelvin Gastelum and beat a Whittaker who was coming off of a surgery and may not be the same fighter he was.

It should be Masvidal.

I was thinkin Izzy or Masvidal before I clicked the thread. Seems like we're all on the same page

Adesanya squeaked by an overrated Kelvin Gastelum and beat a Whittaker who was coming off of a surgery and may not be the same fighter he was.

It should be Masvidal.
Here, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call an idiot. They usually spout nonsense, and think theyre right, but what they dont realise is that theyre the butt of the joke.

Izzy skyrocketed. I think Khabib is the man overall right now -- not sure how many fights he had in 2019.

It should be Masvidal.
What an poorly informed opinon to have. Adesanya's 2019 is definitely better than Mas beating Nate Diaz for the circus clown title, Askren's stock tanked after the Lawler fight and Till that was actually impressive.

Going with Jorge, simply because i don't like adensanya or cejudo.

It should be Masvidal.

Masvidal took out an overrated Askren and beat a Diaz who was coming off an injury and 3 year layoff and may not be the same fighter he was.

See how easy that was?

Cejudo and it's not close. Not does he have the best wins (TJ is an all-time great BW and Moraes is a beast), but those wins were against bigger men. And he didn't just beat them, he smashed them. And he became a 2 division champion. I really don't see the argument.

Israel obviously had a great year, but it's not on the same level. What Cejudo did would be the equivalent of Israel finishing Cormier in under a minute at 185, then going up and finishing someone like Gus to win the 205 belt.

Ofc not, beat an oldman, almost got beaten by fat Gastelum and his only good fight was against Robert nothing crazy really, masvidal on the other hand turned into one of most famous UFC fighters in fashion

Gotta say Masvidal, but Fight of the Year definitely goes to Izzy vs Gastelum no doubt about it.

2gqrn3cs-jpg.669461
41wm77j9col2-jpg.669471

Credit to Sherdog user Bucky O'Hare

<Lmaoo>
I guarantee you this guy was predicting Whittaker would destroy Adesanya.
But i have the balls to say that its was a good fight by Izzy, Robert broke mentally and fought one of the dumbest fights i ever saw, but if you take that one masvidal had a much better year

Gotta be Izzy. They have all had great years. Mas is journeyman done good. Cejudo is Champ Champ and what he did to get there was amazing. Izzy on top though. Undefeated. Put a great champ down. Kelvin fight was beyond epic. Hespect.

Side Note: it is unfortunate that Cejudo and his shtick are so annoying. Calling out women. Come on man...that Mighty Mouse trade not looking so good anymore...

Back