Who's next for Rory?

cobyd

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I know his nose is taking longer to heal than expected.. but he still should be ready either December or sometime early in the new year.

He has said he will fight anyone relevant in the top 10 that he hasn't fought before...

I'm thinking Matt Brown (who he beats easily) other than that options are limited. I guess the Dong would be a good rebound fight also.

The winner of the Matt Brown-Kelvin Gastellum fight or the loser of the Hendricks-Woodley fight make sense. or Kim. Those are the only people that make sense. Wonderboy and Nelson still need 1 or 2 before the elite.

He only needs 1 fight, 2 fight max, to get back to a title shot - keep him relevant with top competition.

Heres the top 15:

Champion : Robbie Lawler (lost)
1 Johny Hendricks
2 Rory MacDonald
3 Tyron Woodley (won)
4 Carlos Condit (lost)
5 Matt Brown
6 Demian Maia (won)
7 Dong Hyun Kim
8 Tarec Saffiedine (won)
9 Stephen Thompson
10 Rick Story
11 Gunnar Nelson
12 Jake Ellenberger (won)
13 Thiago Alves
14 Kelvin Gastelum
15 Neil Magny

Last edited:
How about Stephen Thompson? Does he have a fight yet?

I'm pretty sure Rory will main event a lot more from now on. A 5 rounds Rory will have time to finish his opponents in a devastating way. By the time he gets his next title shot, he'll be unstoppable. For his next fight, Matt Brown seems obvious but he's fighting Gastelum. So i guess it's between Dong Hyun Kim, Gunnar or Rick Story. It's too soon for Tompson to fight against Rory even though it's the most interesting matchup between those 4.
But the most interesting matchups for me would be Hendricks/Rory or a Condit/Rory rematch.

The winner of the Matt Brown-Kelvin Gastellum fight or the loser of the Hendricks-Woodley fight make sense. or Kim. Those are the only people that make sense. Wonderboy and Nelson still need 1 or 2 before the elite.

He only needs 1 fight, 2 fight max, to get back to a title shot - keep him relevant with top competition.

Heres the top 15:

Champion : Robbie Lawler (lost)
1 Johny Hendricks
2 Rory MacDonald
3 Tyron Woodley (won)
4 Carlos Condit (lost)
5 Matt Brown
6 Demian Maia (won)
7 Dong Hyun Kim
8 Tarec Saffiedine (won)
9 Stephen Thompson
10 Rick Story
11 Gunnar Nelson
12 Jake Ellenberger (won)
13 Thiago Alves
14 Kelvin Gastelum
15 Neil Magny

Agree mostly. Woodley again wouldn't make sense. But I love the idea of Hendricks losing to Woodley then getting Rory for his troubles haha. I didn't know Gastelum was booked with Brown. When is that?

I'd love to see Rory vs. Gunnar or Wonderboy.

Diaz destroys Rory, Stockton slaps his nose.

I doubt it would happen, but a Rory-Nick Diaz fight would be fun.

Realistically, a fight against Matt Brown.

Rory KO's Gunnar.
Rory blugeons Wonderboy on the ground.

MASSIVE step up in competition for both.

I can do that too:

Gunnar submits Rory.
Wonderboy knocks Rory out

Of course it's steps up for them, but Rory needs a step back after the brutal beating he just took.

Diaz destroys Rory, Stockton slaps his nose.

Nick would not do much other than flip the bird and taunt. Of course that's enough for his fans.

Back