Who's a better LW champion, Penn or Khabib?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Penn tapped out Prime Hughes at welterweight, went toe to toe with before-Serra-trauma GSP. Went to a draw with Fitch while wrestling him.

Finished Sean Sherk with flying knee, tapped out Florian, finished game Diego and so on. He got robbed blind by Edgar the first time, and I think that stole his soul. But in his absolute prime, Bj Penn was an absolute monster.

This probably is the most interesting question for the lightweight division in MMA history. BJ or Khabib?

Nowadays, BJ Penn is getting knocked out by some Hawaiann hobo and looking like he's Andy Wang reincarnated so most people will say Khabib. But in his absolute prime, BJ Penn was fighting Machida at heavyweight on some buritto diet.

Who's a better LW champion?

5XIvhGb.gif

AuRwwxX.gif

Unstoppable wrestling vs impregnable takedown defense

Sambo if it was easy it would be called BJJ vs BJJ Mundials black belt champ

khabib is way more dominant, bj penn was a beast

Khabib. And Penn fans really need to stop bringing up his wins in other weight classes. They have nothing whatsoever to do with his resume at lw.

Unstoppable wrestling vs impregnable takedown defense

Not impenetrable, Frankie Edgar was able to take him down multiple times. The only guys whose TDD deserve to be called impenetrable are Jose Aldo and Bobby Knuckles in my opinion.

First off, if you like Penn, don’t ask this question a couple hours after Khabib put on the best performance of his career.

Second, Khabib would have wasted BJ Penn. Penn was skilled but mentally he was very very weak and Khabib’s pressure game would have had him finished by round 4 at the latest.

It would be more apt to compare their title defenses..

BJ :
Sean Sherk.
Kenny Florian.
Diego Sanchez.

Khabib:

Conor McGregor.
Dustin Poirier.
Justin Gaethje.

If your intro to MMA was Penn, you're gonna say Penn

Personally, I look to him and Edgar, Henderson as the start of the LW division being the best damn division in the UFC

Not impenetrable, Frankie Edgar was able to take him down multiple times. The only guys whose TDD deserve to be called impenetrable are Jose Aldo and Bobby Knuckles in my opinion.

Didn't do shit in the first fight. I think that got BJ traumatized and Frankie does take down everyone.

Tibau had better TDD than either

I think BJ had more natural talent, i'm also inclined to say he had a higher peak but thats hard to say.

Khabib had the skillset, cardio, fight IQ and dominance. He just made it look so easy every time you start thinking it was easy.

Khabib has to be LW GOAT now.

It would be more apt to compare their title defenses..

BJ :
Sean Sherk.
Kenny Florian.
Diego Sanchez.

Khabib:

Conor McGregor.
Dustin Poirier.
Justin Gaethje.
Sherk is the best win here but all of Khabibs wins are leagues above Kenny & Diego

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back