3) Kevin Lee
4) Masvidal
5) Wonderboy
6) Gunner
7) Cerrone
8) Mike Perry
Alternates - Vick, Felder

Stay at LW - Top 10
Khabib, Fergerson, Pourier, McGregor, Iaquinta, Pettis, Gaethje, Barboza, Gillespie, Nate Diaz

Goes to new 175 division - Top 10
Usman, Woodley, Covington, Till, Leon Edwards, Lawler, Ponzi, Maia, Magny, Gasteleum

Overall I like this, yes WW and LW are not as stacked, but you have more title fights, more high contender fights

Probably the entire 170lb weight class since they are 5 lbs heavier at weighins. Most people can cut 5 more lbs.
Stop with the 165 nonsense. Its not needed.

Probably the entire 170lb weight class since they are 5 lbs heavier at weighins. Most people can cut 5 more lbs.
Stop with the 165 nonsense. Its not needed.
Obviously 170 would move to 175. So guys that are a bit too big for 165 would still fight @ 175.

And there are fighters that are too big for 170, but too small for 185 that could also move down.

Making 155, 165, 175, 190, and 205 for weight class shifts would just be better for the sport.

I wouldn't mind a 165lb division but I have a feeling it would absolutely gut LW with guys moving up to 165 to avoid the weight cut. I think guys like Khabib and Poirier would jump on that opportunity with their laboring weight cuts and this would have a ripple effect on all other divisions.

with all of these guys looking to move from LW to 165, featherweights who have tough cuts like Max, Ortega and Aldo would jump up to LW thinking that there is less competition and more of a opportunity to get a shot at the belt (especially if khabib moves up).

I think 165 makes sense but Dana is right with the fact that the creation of the division would cause a exodus of talent at both LW & WW (potentially FW too) and would shallow out some of the more entertaining divisions in MMA right now

and there is no way Nate is a LW anymore. he would be a perfect fit for 165 IF he ever fights again

No one because its not going to be a division in the UFC. As much as everyone posts about it this guy hates the idea

<31>

I disagree, i think they need a cruiserweight division at 230-235 but the lower weight classes are fine imo.
A 15 lb difference to float in between seems perfect to me. If you feel to small, drop 10 lbs, if you feel the cut is too much put on a couple of pounds. We dont need a weight class every 10 lbs. The UFC would need 1000 fighters.
Obviously 170 would move to 175. So guys that are a bit too big for 165 would still fight @ 175.

And there are fighters that are too big for 170, but too small for 185 that could also move down.

Making 155, 165, 175, 190, and 205 for weight class shifts would just be better for the sport.

I disagree, i think they need a cruiserweight division at 230-235 but the lower weight classes are fine imo.
A 15 lb difference to float in between seems perfect to me. If you feel to small, drop 10 lbs, if you feel the cut is too much put on a couple of pounds. We dont need a weight class every 10 lbs. The UFC would need 1000 fighters.
Cruiserweight will never happen because it would wreck heavyweight. Heavyweight is already thin enough.

If they added ~230 pound cruiserweight, they'd need to make heavyweight a no-limit weight class, and that's just not going to happen. They don't want 400-500 pound freakshow fighters in the UFC.

I agree. If the UFC ever starts paying the fighters serious money they will attract the big guys and thats when cruiserweight will be necessary. For now though im happy with the current weight classes. Hell we have a hard enough time keeping champs active with decent contenders.
Cruiserweight will never happen because it would wreck heavyweight. Heavyweight is already thin enough.

If they added ~230 pound cruiserweight, they'd need to make heavyweight a no-limit weight class, and that's just not going to happen. They don't want 400-500 pound freakshow fighters in the UFC.

Back