who wins between prime stipe and prime cain

Who ever could get more EPO in their blood vessels.

2015 Cain? Why not 2010 Cain?
Yeah, much better. I'll go with Cain as he had the cardio/pace of a MW in his prime and blended striking/wrestling exceptionally well. That said, if Stipe could stuff most of Cain's TDs and/or get back to his feet quickly, it's a hard fight to call. Stipe had the power to KO Cain and an almost pure striking match is very different.

You can't base all this on JDS/Stipe #1 because that was almost pure striking and some clinching around the edge of the cage as far as I remember. If we assume Stipe gets taken down and GNP'd repeatedly like JDS did vs. Cain in #2 and #3, then yeah, Cain all day. But Stipe competed briefly in D1 wrestling. No one ever ragdolled him using wrestling...but he never fought anyone like prime Cain.

So like I said, tough call. Wrestling would be the deciding factor IMO.

Cain IMHO. Stipe never had great power and Cain would be one of the few HWs Stipe's cardio wouldn't be a huge advantage against. I think Cain would eventually overwhelm him if not put him away early.

Not calling Stipe a bum but he was very average IMHO and he tremendously benefitted by being around when the elite of the division had already significantly aged. Stoppage wins over Reem/Arlovski (who have been KO'd a combined 40 TIMES) and JDS' corpse do not impress me AT ALL nor does a completely wrestling based win over Hunt (who even Werdum was able to standing KO).

His big signature win is a KO over Werdum which was legitimate but Werdum has a long history of brain farts in fights so running right at Stipe with his hands down/chin out was not exactly the clinic of all time either.

I absolutely hated Cain and think he was amongst the worst champions in MMA history but objectively, I think he was FAR more dangerous in his Prime than Stipe and that he'd win this fight the majority of the time (it is HW after all). People calling Stipe the HW GOAT after a whopping 3 title defenses really need to put down the UFC Kool-Aid sippy cup. He's not even top 5 IMHO

Last edited:
Definitely think Cain had more effective wrestling. They both had a great pace. Stipe is a better striker tho.

Cain working off the cage might be the winning factor.

The closest fight we have to go off is with them fighting JDS

I think DC is superior to Cain ( He was just humble enough to give all those praises to Cain) & Stipe had no problem dealing with him.

So the answer is Stipe.
Nah, I don't see Cain decisioning Nelson, Mur or Barnett. Cain was stopping everyone in his prime. He was way better. DC was really a light heavyweight and it showed in those fights. He always was. He just got fat when he fought Stipe. He was nowhere near his prime and still got the job done.

You joined in 2015 so it looks like you never really saw Prime Cain. He was way better than Stipe in his prime. It's not even close.

Stipe became the champ when everyone got old and past their primes. Kind of like Larry Holmes in the early 80's

I'm thinking Cain would take him into deep waters and rough him up, eventually getting a stoppage, or maybe a dominant decision. His pace and pressure was incredible.

Stipe = GOAT

Even Jones said this, after Miocic KO'd DC, after 13 unanswered liver shots.

No one in UFC history ever launched a body attack like Stipe did against DC II.

He came up with that strategy on the fly, in real time, and it was absolutely epic.

Same with his strategy against Ngannou, totally humiliating the much bigger/younger man.

Yeah, much better. I'll go with Cain as he had the cardio/pace of a MW in his prime and blended striking/wrestling exceptionally well. That said, if Stipe could stuff most of Cain's TDs and/or get back to his feet quickly, it's a hard fight to call. Stipe had the power to KO Cain and an almost pure striking match is very different.

You can't base all this on JDS/Stipe #1 because that was almost pure striking and some clinching around the edge of the cage as far as I remember. If we assume Stipe gets taken down and GNP'd repeatedly like JDS did vs. Cain in #2 and #3, then yeah, Cain all day. But Stipe competed briefly in D1 wrestling. No one ever ragdolled him using wrestling...but he never fought anyone like prime Cain.

So like I said, tough call. Wrestling would be the deciding factor IMO.
Agreed. I don’t think Stipe could handle Brock either, unfortunately and he way Cain beat him was unbelievable. 2010 Cain, 2020 Ngannou and 2005 Arlovski were the best UFC heavyweights of all time. Stipe, Werdum, Frank Mir and Randy Couture are legends themselves.

Stipe's only win in 2015 was Mark Hunt, who went 10-10-1 with that. His previous win in 14 was Maldonado, and his next win in 16 was Arlovski.

Do you really think that was his most impressive period?

Lets not revise history. Stipe finished a JDS on a 1 fight win streak (revamped as you call it) whose chin was fully fucked post Overeem KO
“The fight saw Miocic set the record for the number of total strikes landed in a UFC bout, with Miocic landing 361 strikes. Miocic also outlanded Hunt 361–46 in total strikes with the 315 strike differential being the largest margin in UFC history.”

Why didn’t the other 9 guys that beat Hunto do that?

“Stipe landed a combination that knocked Arlovski down. He following “The Pit Bull” to the canvas and finished with a series of left hands before referee Herb Dean intervened. The fight lasted 54 seconds. Following the win, Miocic screamed at UFC president Dana White through the octagon fence.Jan 2, 2016”

That was literally a number 1 contender fight. Arlovski was on a 6 fight win streak including Schaub, Bigfoot, Browne, and Mir in the UFC.

So is beating AA in under a minute on that night somehow no big deal, or what?

Then Stipe KO’d Werdum in the very first round in Brazil with 45K fans in the stadium.

You clearly have a narrative. And it’s fucking rubbish, alright.

1706205840696.gif

Both of them at their best is hard to call. As is usually the case, there is all kinds of useless MMAth in this thread. Cain was pretty shot after about 32, so his bad looking losses after that don't mean much.

Stipe. I will never change my stance that DC > Cain

That was far, far from prime Cain. But to play this game, neither Stipe nor Cain would lose to Bader in under a minute.
The only evidence you have that Cain was far out of his prime is that Ngannou KO'd him. Which, I think Ngannou does at any point of Cain's career. He just hits too damn hard and Cain's biggest weakness was being hittable.

Watch Stipe's first fight with Ngannou. He had to go through hell in that first round and use his head movement to avoid all of Ngannou's bombs. Cain has never shown that kind of striking defense.

Stipe wins. Cain has too many fans that think he was some goat level HW, he wasn't as good as he was propped up to be.

Tough question but if you could pinpoint Cains prime I think he would be virtually unbeatable. But if you don't do that and think of it over a 2 year period then Stipe would be too durable. But it's a good question

Cain was really good, people forget because he had a short prime. Throughout both of their careers, probably Stipe would win more because he was more consistent. But prime Cain destroys him.

Back