Who was the best defensive fighter?

There are a lot of great choices but I agree Whitaker and Mayweather are two of the best of the past few decades.

Best defenive fighter?

You mean Fighter with the best Defense, or best fighter that was defensive?

I think most people think of three people when this subject comes up. Pep, Whitaker, and Floyd. I think of quite a few more including Benitez and Duran among others, but I will just address the three most popular choices.

of the three, I think that the order is Whitaker, Mayweather, and then Pep.

and here is why.
Pep is third in my book because he did not move up and test himself against the physical disadvantages that both Floyd and Whitaker have, though he did test himself against Sandy Sadler who should have been at least a welterweight.

I have Whitaker over Mayweather because Whitaker demonstrated his defense in higher output situations. Part of Mayweathers game plan is to slow the action down to 30-40 punches per round. Whitaker demonstrated his defensive abilities vs. opponents that were chucking 70-80 punches per round.

When floyd is faced with that kind of pace, his form breaks down and the fighter in him comes out as we saw with emanual augustus, J. Chavez, and JC Castillo.

Last edited:
For a guy known for not getting hit much, Pernell Whitaker talks like a guy that has been hit in the head quite a bit.

Which I think should spark a debate about evasion vs blocking.

I think it should spark a debate about carrots vs. cocaine personally

anybody remember the 911 call where he can be heard having an overdose induced seizure while his girlfriend or wife is talking to the operator?

did you guys know joe rogan knows who willie pep is?

i kid i kid.

BTW Money Mayweather by far.

Nicolino Locche - The Untouchable

[YT]3LEKHMUCh8k[/YT]

Really worth a look, fellas...

And of course Willie Pep.

Chris Byrd deserves a a mention.

I second. There are few boxers that are more fun to watch to "El Intocable." A man so seemingly unathletic, moving just so damn perfectly. Always threw his punches at just the right times, as if he had the entire match planned out in his head. I read somewhere that later in his life, after he trained Duran I think, Ray Arcel said the Nicolino Locche was the most skilled defensive boxer he'd ever seen. If theres a man whose opinion on all things boxing is worth listening to, it's Arcel's.

Love him or hate him, Hector Camacho was hard to hit hard. Pernell Whitaker and of course Floyd. Did you ever see an Archie Moore fight? He was slippery.

Love him or hate him, Hector Camacho was hard to hit hard. Pernell Whitaker and of course Floyd. Did you ever see an Archie Moore fight? He was slippery.

I mentioned camacho, not the post rosario version, the pre champion young hungry prizefighter version. when we talk about defense, it's a lot different to compare guys who rely mainly on jumping around to guys like camacho who would spring in pick off punches, land his own, pick off what comes back and then disengage. Macho was a historical waste of talent, who was faster? who had that kind of bounce in his legs? who could fight his ass off for ten rounds and not take a single punch?

Back