Who was better in their prime, Gunni Nelson or Big Country Nelson

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
P4P who is the greater Nelson? I have Roy.

Gunnar is the more skilled fighter but Nelson has the bigger wins.

belly-rub.gif

Big Country, he has beat much better guys. Gunnar hasn't really beat any top fighter.

eh Gunnar is still in his.... what a strange thread lol

gunnar is way more skilled and the better fighter, roy has the bigger wins atm though.

Gunnar is still in his prime, Roy is well past his. Comparing prime Nelsons, I say Gunnar is the more skilled fighter for sure. Roy was in a weaker division compared to Gunnar, and there was not a long list of elite-level MMA fighters in the HW division as there has been in the WW division, so for Gunnar to rise to as high as he did, to me, is a greater achievement than for Roy to have risen to his highest ranking in the HW division.

That being said, Roy made the prestigious list of famous Nelsons, while Gunnar did not.

https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-people-whose-last-name-is-nelson/chris-abraham

Last edited:
Neither, I’m going with...

5-where-are-you-going.gif

A gatekeeper and a journeyman, who gives a shit?

Hey, who had the better prime, Chris Lyttle or Chris Leben? Who's the better Chris?

<Fedor23>

did gunni ever have a prime?

I've been waiting for a breakthrough performance from him since he joined the UFC six years ago. I'm still waiting.

It would be cool if he fought more than once every 10 months.

i'm hoping gunnar has more in the tank. he's a really skilled fighter and is still young. but as the losses pile up (esp KOs) you have to wonder about confidence issues. hope he bounces back.

Big Country, he has beat much better guys. Gunnar hasn't really beat any top fighter.

I kind of agree, but Roy never beat a "top" fighter. His best wins IMO were fellow gatekeepers Kongo and Mitrione, who are still doing well in Bellator, but never made the elite category in the UFC. I guess Big Nog and Bigfoot are the biggest names he's beaten, but both were really chinny when he fought them.

That said, he has had more and better wins than his Icelandic cousin Gunnar--no question.

Back